Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Pointing devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pointing devices

To control the mouse cursor, I mainly use a two-button trackball on my own compy, but I'm also adept at using a mouse as needed and also a touchpad as needed. I also have a pen and tablet, but I rarely use it.

What mouse cursor input device(s) do you use? Vote in the poll, and post about it if you like.
    Mouse
    36.36%
    Trackball
    27.27%
    Touchpad
    9.09%
    Pen & tablet
    18.18%
    Other (please specify in your post)
    9.09%
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Seeing as I mainly play FPS games I rarely use anything other than a mouse. There's not really any other alternatives.

Comment

I use a mouse. On my tablet computer I use my fingers and a stylus. I will use a trackpad IF I have to, like using a laptop on my actual lap in a place where I can't easily use a mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
        Seeing as I mainly play FPS games I rarely use anything other than a mouse. There's not really any other alternatives.
        For something like browsing I just use keyboard and mouse, but for all of my games I use the Steam Controller. I have issues with using a mouse and keyboard for games, especially anything like a FPS. It's also handy for browsing websites when I'm up and walking.

Comment

Finger controls my mouse. Along with the rest of my hand and arm.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
            Once you're used to them, trackballs work great for computer games. I got easily the highest scores on the Archery game on the old Tweb using a trackball, and that required rapid and fine pointer control. I've been using a trackball at home and work for over 2 decades now.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              Finger controls my mouse. Along with the rest of my hand and arm.

You iPad junkie, you.

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Once you're used to them, trackballs work great for computer games. I got easily the highest scores on the Archery game on the old Tweb using a trackball, and that required rapid and fine pointer control. I've been using a trackball at home and work for over 2 decades now.
              Having been using a trackball myself for the last 7 years or so, it sure does make the arcade version of Missile Command much easier than using a mouse.
              ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by my sunshine
                You iPad junkie, you.
                There is no mouse on my ipad. Just fingers.

I also control my mouse on my lappy with my fingers.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  There is no mouse on my ipad. Just fingers.

I also control my mouse on my lappy with my fingers.

You should try controlling your finger with yer brain.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    The mode I use on my Steam Controller is basically a combination of a trackball and touchpad. With the haptic feedback on it even feels like there is a little trackball spinning inside the controller. For my situation it is by far the best device to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                      The mode I use on my Steam Controller is basically a combination of a trackball and touchpad. With the haptic feedback on it even feels like there is a little trackball spinning inside the controller. For my situation it is by far the best device to use.
                      The only place I like trackballs is for video games. I can't stand to use them in place of a mouse. I lose fine motor control when trying to draw with a trackball.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        The only place I like trackballs is for video games. I can't stand to use them in place of a mouse. I lose fine motor control when trying to draw with a trackball.
                        I'll agree that it is much harder to draw freehand with a trackball, and either a mouse or a pen & tablet would be much better suited to that. That's why I love the shape tools built into some art programs like Clip Studio Paint which work well even with a trackball.
                        ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

I think I might start using The Pin™, at least around here........

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Because of the twitches in my hands I don't have very good control on a mouse. With something like a controller can brace myself with both hands. Preventing most twitches like that helps me with in game control, and I've seen a rather significant increase in what I can do on PC games. The extra buttons on the grips, two stage triggers, and the fact that the touchpads can be made into multiple buttons and input style allows for a lot of customizing to get things just right.

Comment

Now this looks like a good pointing device for someone who uses 3D modelling software regularly, if a bit pricey.

https://www.3dconnexion.com/products/spacemouse.html
                              ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment