Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Rules For The Honeymoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules For The Honeymoon

How should you begin?

Link.

-----

How should you start your marriage off? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

I use a program called Nextdoor here in the Atlanta area and with that, I am able to interact with a large number of neighbors. Recently, someone who is a travel agent put up a request wanting honeymoon ideas. I didn't live in Atlanta when I went on my honeymoon, but I was able to give some advice and said upfront that I was in ministry. Well, why not give some of that here?

I am going to assume that this is a honeymoon gone on right after the wedding. If that's not you, this might not apply the same way. Some couples go on a honeymoon later on after their marriage after all.

Let's start with social media. Don't. Sometimes it's tempting to put all those wedding pictures on Facebook immediately and see what people had to say about the wedding and everything else. Let me tell you something about social media. Those posts and pictures are likely to stay up. Nothing says you have to read them now.

When I see people posting about how they just got married or saying where they have arrived I always ask them why they're posting now. Why would you? Posting on social media makes it so that other people are interacting with you and you are more tempted to respond to them. Thus, when you should be cementing more and more your relationship with your new spouse, you are busy interacting with others. One marriage even got ended on the wedding night because the wife would not stop texting her friends.

It can wait. The world doesn't need to know what you are doing and if you have lived according to Christian teachings, well, they already know what you're going to be doing on your honeymoon. Also, I do hope you've done that, but sadly too many couples are having sex before their marriages. Saving it can make the honeymoon all the more special.

Do the same rule with email by the way. It can wait. There is no need for Facebook, email, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, or anything like that on the honeymoon. Anything can wait until you get back.

If you're a younger couple, like Allie and I were, please talk with your parents beforehand. I know parents always want to check on their children and make sure everything is fine, but I made a request clear to both families. Do not interact with us for that week unless it is an emergency. Parents don't really need to be involved and really parents, do you want to hear about what your kids are doing on their honeymoon?

We all know I'm a big lover of the books, but this one is very important. Don't bring them. You don't need to do work on your honeymoon. If you're in ministry, take a break from ministry. Seriously. The fate of the Kingdom of God does not rely on your doing ministry on your honeymoon. Of course, if you meet someone and they say they need the Gospel or some situation like that, do it, but don't seek those situations out.

When we went on ours, the only book I brought with me was the Bible, because that is still foundational for our marriage. Other than that, everything else was left back at our apartment. (And no, we did not live together before we got married) I was doing no apologetics because my ministry work that week was to unite to my wife and build up our marriage. You see, my principle is that there are many people who can do the work of apologetics when I cannot for whatever reason, such as sickness, but there is only one person who can be a husband to Allie. I want to make sure I succeed at that. If you manage to be the most awesome apologist ever writing great books and winning debates, but you have not made your family the priority they should be, I consider you a failure in ministry.

Ultimately then, just have fun. My wife and I went to Ocean Isle Beach, and we would love to one day get to go again to the beach. Believe it or not, you won't be in the hotel room the whole time just having sex constantly. We did other things like going to aquariums and on a ghost walk even at a local museum which was very amusing. The purpose of it was to tell us stories of the area where there were said to be ghosts. Allie and I just found it more amusing than anything else.

But ultimately, we had fun together. We spent that time cementing our relationship. Of course, when we got back we were able to get to everything else, but for the time being, it was just the two of us and the rest of the world didn't need to exist.

And oh yes, that romancing hasn't stopped. It was my goal on the honeymoon to sweep Allie off of her feet and let her know she's loved. That is something that should never end. To this day, I am still pursuing my wife and striving to win her heart every day.

These are my suggestions for a honeymoon. There is one other thing I will add that I said in this thread on Nextdoor about honeymoons. The place you go to will not make the honeymoon special. You two going there and having a honeymoon together will make the place special.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters