Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Polls and Probabilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    I put it here because I here the claim, "the polls were bad" frequently here, followed by a whole lot of examples that demonstrate the people making the claim do NOT understand polling and associated predictions/probabilities.

And yes - it is too late. It pretty much always is. The default exchange mode on this forum for many of its denizens appears to be "mock."
    http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...decorumflaming
    Many areas of our forum are designated for debates, which at times can get aggressive. Our open debate forums, in which persons holding opposing worldviews are encouraged to participate, are not designed for persons who are easily offended or insist upon Moderator-enforced politeness at all costs. While we strongly ask that our members use discretion and tailor their responses appropriately, we recognize that the nature of spirited debate may include the use of satire, humor, and strong statements of position or faith that may at times offend some.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      I only mock you when you deserve it.
      Yeah... I get that a lot.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Awaiting the arrival of the prodder of bovines
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...decorumflaming
          Many areas of our forum are designated for debates, which at times can get aggressive. Our open debate forums, in which persons holding opposing worldviews are encouraged to participate, are not designed for persons who are easily offended or insist upon Moderator-enforced politeness at all costs. While we strongly ask that our members use discretion and tailor their responses appropriately, we recognize that the nature of spirited debate may include the use of satire, humor, and strong statements of position or faith that may at times offend some.
          Frankly, I find most of the exchanges here to be simply juvenile. Eventually, I'll probably look for something with a more mature level of engagement. I suspect that will make me "one of the elite" and "arrogant." Frankly, I think most of us could raise our sites a bit above the level of what has become "common fare" in the Trump era, and strive for something just a bit more adult.

Comment

Frankly, I find most of the exchanges here to be simply juvenile. Eventually, I'll probably look for something with a more mature level of engagement. I suspect that will make me "one of the elite" and "arrogant." Frankly, I think most of us could raise our sites a bit above the level of what has become "common fare" in the Trump era, and strive for something just a bit more adult.
            Oh, the immature level of discourse in here predates the Trump era

Comment

Not nearly as bad as in civics. Until you get someone like Jorge in there.
              I don't think you've been in the same Nat. Sci. forum I've been in then. Is there some other hidden one on TWeb I don't know about? I found Nat. Sci. to be far, far worse than Civics, and Jorge to be about average for the people who usually went there.

Comment

"sights"

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                  Oh, the immature level of discourse in here predates the Trump era
                  I'm aware. I was here a decade or so ago. Back then, I let myself "go there" as well. I wasn't exactly my best. The anonymity of the Internet makes it easy to behave in ways we might not otherwise if we were face to face and looking into one another's eyes.

Comment

"sights"

Actually...I used that word purposefully. It was intended to be a pun on a common phrase, referring to fora such as these.

Maybe a little too subtle...

ETA: I also think we need to raise our cites a bit.

Comment

Actually...I used that word purposefully. It was intended to be a pun on a common phrase, referring to fora such as these.

Maybe a little too subtle...

ETA: I also think we need to raise our cites a bit.

Comment

I think most of us could raise our sites a bit above the level of what has become "common fare" in the Trump era, and strive for something just a bit more adult.
                        If you think the level of discourse used here at tWeb started with the Trump era then you must be new to the internet... and history in general. Mockery and satire have been a celebrated part of public debate for millennia. Even in the Old Testament, which contains some of the oldest known writings in history, there are plenty of examples, such as deliberately misspelling an ideological opponent's name to turn it into something humorous and demeaning (this is sometimes lost in English translations), or the prophet Elijah mocking the prophets of Baal by telling them that maybe their god wasn't answering their prayers because he was on the toilet.

As much as you might wish it, you really can't blame Trump for everything you think is wrong with the world.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          If you think the level of discourse used here at tWeb started with the Trump era then you must be new to the internet... and history in general. Mockery and satire have been a celebrated part of public debate for millennia. Even in the Old Testament, which contains some of the oldest known writings in history, there are plenty of examples, such as deliberately misspelling an ideological opponent's name to turn it into something humorous and demeaning (this is sometimes lost in English translations), or the prophet Elijah mocking the prophets of Baal by telling them that maybe their god wasn't answering their prayers because he was on the toilet.

As much as you might wish it, you really can't blame Trump for everything you think is wrong with the world.
                          I recognize the history of sarcasm and satire. I simply don't applaud it. Perhaps, someday, when our society drifts back from this hyper-polarized state we are in, I might change that view.

And Trump may not be the source of our issues, but he has created a new-normal that transfers the trolling of the Internet to the highest office of the land, giving it wide acceptance and making it a "new normal." Since you have earlier acknowledged that you troll and apparently see no problem with it, I can see why you would applaud Trump's elevation of this odious Internet reality to public discourse in general. I do not, and I long for a president (and other leaders) who will set a better example.

I guess that makes me "old-fashioned." Or maybe just "old."

Comment

I recognize the history of sarcasm and satire. I simply don't applaud it. Perhaps, someday, when our society drifts back from this hyper-polarized state we are in, I might change that view.
                            But that's just it, human societies have been "hyper-polarized" for pretty much as long as human societies have existed, and a quick wit and a sharp tongue have always been widely recognized as some of the most effective tools in public debate. To act like Trump is some new historical anomaly is naive. For that matter, even Hillary and Obama engaged in their own sarcastic rhetoric with Hillary's infamous "basket of deplorables" tirade and Obama's snark about conservative voters "clinging to their guns and religion".
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

But that's just it, human societies have been "hyper-polarized" for pretty much as long as human societies have existed, and a quick wit and a sharp tongue have always been widely recognized as some of the most effective tools in public debate. To act like Trump is some new historical anomaly is naive. For that matter, even Hillary and Obama engaged in their own sarcastic rhetoric with Hillary's infamous "basket of deplorables" tirade and Obama's snark about conservative voters "clinging to their guns and religion".
                              I think the difference now is that the Internet puts everyone on the same playing field. Where previously we just heard about politicians reaming each other second hand, now they are right here in the mud with us on twitter and facebook and instagram interacting not only with each other but with us.

Comment

To look at the current level of discourse under the Trump regime and even begin to compare it to what has gone before is, frankly, either an act of blindness, or demonstrates significant naivete. Yes, there have been polarizing figures and times before. Studies of congress show that this body was not even this polarized during the Civil War (based on the incidence of cross-party voting). The same is true of surveys of the electorate, which show 84% approval of Trump by Republicans and 7% approval by Democrats. And Trump's consistent and repeated personal behavior in office is unlike that of any president in living memory. We are in an age of the new McCarthyism, and this time it is not a senator leading it - it is the president of the country.

Comment