Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Expectation for Messiah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expectation for Messiah

I wanted to make a quick intro to the idea that the details of the coming of Messiah were built around cultural insights beyond scripture.

I'm not ready to discuss in detail but thought it would be worthwhile to start a thread.

There were ideas from scripture which weren't clearly laid out.

The term "Messiah" as a title wasn't explicit in scripture but there expectancy for a king of the branch of David with an eternal throne. But the title was introduced by Rabbi Akiba (Dunn,NPP2005,293-3).

There was not mention of who would fill the second throne in Dan 7:9-14 except an implied sense that this would be one called the Son of Man.

Jesus came in accord with expectations for the time and circumstances of the Messiah within the culture. He met requirements that of OT prophecy but also fulfilled ideas expected simply within the culture.

Any thoughts on this?

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
    The term "Messiah" as a title wasn't explicit in scripture but there expectancy for a king of the branch of David with an eternal throne. But the title was introduced by Rabbi Akiba (Dunn,NPP2005,293-3).
    Isn't Daniel 9:25-26 ("the Anointed One" NIV) a usage of the title of Messiah?

Jesus came in accord with expectations for the time and circumstances of the Messiah within the culture. He met requirements that of OT prophecy but also fulfilled ideas expected simply within the culture.
    I don't know enough of the culture to be able to speak to this, but I have heard that expectation was high around this time (cf. Luke 3:15, John 1:20). And Jesus fulfilled Andrew's expectations well enough for him to say "We have found the Messiah" (John 1:41).

Blessings,
    Lee
    Last edited by lee_merrill; 08-16-2018, 06:41 PM.
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
      Isn't Daniel 9:25-26 ("the Anointed One" NIV) a usage of the title of Messiah?
      the ESV shows:
      Daniel 9:26 (ESV)
      26 And after the sixty-two weeks, an anointed one shall be cut off and shall have nothing. And the people of the prince who is to come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary. Its end shall come with a flood, and to the end there shall be war. Desolations are decreed.
      The mention of anointed one is not as a title but just that the person would be anointed (a priest or king ... like a king here).

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
      I don't know enough of the culture to be able to speak to this, but I have heard that expectation was high around this time (cf. Luke 3:15, John 1:20). And Jesus fulfilled Andrew's expectations well enough for him to say "We have found the Messiah" (John 1:41).
      Indeed. It seems there were people expecting the Messiah by the time Jesus appeared in the land. Many expected this based on Daniel.

I don't have specifics but I remember hearing that Jesus met some expectations that may not have been a matter of prophecy. I'm a little unsure this fits -- but Jesus healed a man born blind; this may have been a miracle expected only to be possible by the Messiah. People may have known cases where someone was temporarily blind but got their sight back.

Comment

The Hebrew for "anointed [one]" is Hebrew for an anointed king, priest and/or Messiah. (Daniel 9:26)
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
          The Hebrew for "anointed [one]" is Hebrew for an anointed king, priest and/or Messiah. (Daniel 9:26)
          Right. But there was a time when the "a king" became more of a designation or title of a specific person. It was an idea I heard a long time ago so it may not be even something useful.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
            Right. But there was a time when the "a king" became more of a designation or title of a specific person. It was an idea I heard a long time ago so it may not be even something useful.
            Matthew's genealogy of kings, of anointed ones [i.e. christs].
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

One area of confusion in the pre-Christ years was the description of both a victorious king and of someone (king) that had died (Dan 9). These didn't logically translate into being the same person. Of course, it is easy to envision that the prophecies were talking about mere men since no concept of divine-man appeared except in rough ways such as the appearance of the Lord to Abraham.

It is interesting that Jesus spoke of the sign of Jonah. This was used to express the resurrection of Jesus in 3 days. We may have an answer as to how Jonah survived in the fish. It seems he should have died. Is that what actually happened? Did Jonah die and then was raised from the dead being spewed from the fish?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X