Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

So Easy To Be An Atheist!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Easy To Be An Atheist!

I mean what is not to like, you get to make up your own moral code, live by it, then claim to be virtuous.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      I mean what is not to like, you get to make up your own moral code, live by it, then claim to be virtuous.
      You’re just trying to provoke them, which is dishonest because you’re pretending to be interested in an honest convo.

I think it’s equally miserable being either, frankly. If you’re a theist, you’re just as likely to be judged for not living virtuously by fellow believers. If you’re an atheist, you have to deal with believers with misapprehensions about how the world works (earth age, evolution, climate change). Theists might have a slight edge on the easiness of life because of the refuge of certainty, but infighting about doctrine and required behaviors (e.g., Sharia law, sabbath) could chafe at one’s existential comfort depending on how much you let your fellow adherents get to you.

It’s not easy for any of us, believer, unbeliever, or agnostic. Life’s tough.

Comment

Hey whag, long time no see.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I think that is very wide of the mark.

Comment

Individuals do not determine codes of morals and ethics, because cultures and societies determine the morals and ethics. As far as humanists, agnostics and atheists go, the Humanist Manifesto is the only code of ethics and morals that would represent these belief systems. The Common Law history represents the evolution of humanist morals and ethics as applied to legal systems in the Western world.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-16-2018, 04:51 PM.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Ah, the self-assured hubris of the modern Evangelical. Sad!

Nobody, except psychopaths, makes up their own moral code. One’s morality is determined by the prevailing social mores of the community of which one is a part, whether Secular, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist or Hindu...or subgroups within these categories.

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              The Common Law history represents the evolution of humanist morals and ethics as applied to legal systems in the Western world.
              It also represents the evolution of religion-based morals and ethics.
              Last edited by Tassman; 08-16-2018, 11:41 PM.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                I think it’s equally miserable being either, frankly. If you’re a theist, you’re just as likely to be judged for not living virtuously by fellow believers.
                I'm not claiming that I live virtuously, just the opposite in light of New Testament moral principles. My point, if one is a devout believer he has an objective or universal standard to live up to. The atheist has no such standard. It would be perfectly rational for him or her to reject any moral code that he is having difficultly living up to and lower the bar so that the new goal in within reach.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  Ah, the self-assured hubris of the modern Evangelical. Sad!

Nobody, except psychopaths, makes up their own moral code. One’s morality is determined by the prevailing social mores of the community of which one is a part, whether Secular, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist or Hindu...or subgroups within these categories.
                  I'm not saying that one goes around killing, but why not change your moral code as you see fit? Lower the bar? If you have ethical ideals that are beyond your reach, why not just change those ideals so that they are easily reached? For instance, you would like to be kind and generous to all men, but you just can't find it in you to do so, well lower the standard to a reachable goal - say just to some men who reciprocate. It would be perfectly rational for the atheist to do this.

Comment

I'm not claiming that I live virtuously, just the opposite in light of New Testament moral principles. My point, if one is a devout believer he has an objective or universal standard to live up to.
                    No, your point was to provoke by saying atheists are atheists so they can skate through life worry free. The title is literally “How easy it is to be an atheist.”

Originally posted by seer
                    The atheist has no such standard. It would be perfectly rational for him or her to reject any moral code that he is having difficultly living up to and lower the bar so that the new goal in within reach.
                    Unless you’re talking about something different than the 10 commandments, I don;t know what your talking about. It’s pretty easy for me to not lie, steal, and commit adultery. I don’t rest on the sabbath, but neither do most Christians.

Going back to easiness, which standard is so difficult for you to follow? Can you be more specific rather than provocative?

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                      No, your point was to provoke by saying atheists are atheists so they can skate through life worry free. The title is literally “How easy it is to be an atheist.”
                      But they can, what is preventing from changing your moral code to fit your desires? I mean within reason.

Unless you’re talking about something different than the 10 commandments, I don;t know what your talking about. It’s pretty easy for me to not lie, steal, and commit adultery. I don’t rest on the sabbath, but neither do most Christians.
                      Good example. Say you are attracted to a married woman, and she to you. If you if presently think it is immoral why not just change your moral ideal so you can have an affair?

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        Individuals do not determine codes of morals and ethics, because cultures and societies determine the morals and ethics. As far as humanists, agnostics and atheists go, the Humanist Manifesto is the only code of ethics and morals that would represent these belief systems. The Common Law history represents the evolution of humanist morals and ethics as applied to legal systems in the Western world.
                        In addition, atheists and agnostics have consciences, and senses of right and wrong. Not all bother with the Humanist Manifesto - whatever that may be - but just get on with life, like anyone else. It is because they are often highly moral people that many of them are not favourably impressed by those who have a religion.

Comment

The working premise need only be that there is no god. Unfortunately for most, if not all, atheists have a fundamental problem with absolute truths.

And those who actually know God could not honestly make that premise.
                          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

But they can, what is preventing from changing your moral code to fit your desires? I mean within reason.

Good example. Say you are attracted to a married woman, and she to you. If you if presently think it is immoral why not just change your moral ideal so you can have an affair?
                            That’s what David, and notice he was a theist. Murders and extramarital affairs almost always end badly, so there’s plenty of legit reasons not to commit adultery and murder besides the rules that say not to. Same with lying, but that’s more relative. We all lie, sometimes to deceive sometimes to not hurt others’ feelings, but mostly we try to avoid it.

Comment

I've answered that claim many times in this and other forums. The usual theist response to whatever I say is simply: That's not true.

Since it doesn't make a bit of difference what I say, I see no point right now in going through the exercise one more time. Maybe sometime later.

Comment