Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: So Easy To Be An Atheist!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by whag View Post
    No, your point was to provoke by saying atheists are atheists so they can skate through life worry free. The title is literally “How easy it is to be an atheist.”
    But they can, what is preventing from changing your moral code to fit your desires? I mean within reason.

Unless you’re talking about something different than the 10 commandments, I don;t know what your talking about. It’s pretty easy for me to not lie, steal, and commit adultery. I don’t rest on the sabbath, but neither do most Christians.
    Good example. Say you are attracted to a married woman, and she to you. If you if presently think it is immoral why not just change your moral ideal so you can have an affair?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Individuals do not determine codes of morals and ethics, because cultures and societies determine the morals and ethics. As far as humanists, agnostics and atheists go, the Humanist Manifesto is the only code of ethics and morals that would represent these belief systems. The Common Law history represents the evolution of humanist morals and ethics as applied to legal systems in the Western world.
    In addition, atheists and agnostics have consciences, and senses of right and wrong. Not all bother with the Humanist Manifesto - whatever that may be - but just get on with life, like anyone else. It is because they are often highly moral people that many of them are not favourably impressed by those who have a religion.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The working premise need only be that there is no god. Unfortunately for most, if not all, atheists have a fundamental problem with absolute truths.

And those who actually know God could not honestly make that premise.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    But they can, what is preventing from changing your moral code to fit your desires? I mean within reason.

Good example. Say you are attracted to a married woman, and she to you. If you if presently think it is immoral why not just change your moral ideal so you can have an affair?
    That’s what David, and notice he was a theist. Murders and extramarital affairs almost always end badly, so there’s plenty of legit reasons not to commit adultery and murder besides the rules that say not to. Same with lying, but that’s more relative. We all lie, sometimes to deceive sometimes to not hurt others’ feelings, but mostly we try to avoid it.

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I mean what is not to like, you get to make up your own moral code, live by it, then claim to be virtuous.
    I've answered that claim many times in this and other forums. The usual theist response to whatever I say is simply: That's not true.

Since it doesn't make a bit of difference what I say, I see no point right now in going through the exercise one more time. Maybe sometime later.

6. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
    In addition, atheists and agnostics have consciences, and senses of right and wrong.
    Universal with humanity taking into consideration we all our fallible humans.

Not all bother with the Humanist Manifesto - whatever that may be - but just get on with life, like anyone else.
    Of course, not all bother with the Humanist Manifesto, but you understate its relevance. It does not determine anybodies morals and ethics, but it does reflect the evolution of morals and ethics from the humanist perspective.

Which would you prefer; the Humanist Manifesto, the Ten Commandments, or the full book of laws the Ten Commandments came from?

It is because they are often highly moral people that many of them are not favourably impressed by those who have a religion.
    Depends on how you define religion.

Note: The statues and facia of the Supreme Court reflects the influence of many cultures and religions, and their morals and ethics contributing to the legal system and Laws of the United States
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-17-2018 at 06:24 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post
    The working premise need only be that there is no god.
    Seems like a reasonable "working premise" to me.

Unfortunately for most, if not all, atheists have a fundamental problem with absolute truths.
    What "absolute truths" are these?

And those who actually know God could not honestly make that premise.
    Delusions are like that.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by whag View Post
    That’s what David, and notice he was a theist. Murders and extramarital affairs almost always end badly, so there’s plenty of legit reasons not to commit adultery and murder besides the rules that say not to. Same with lying, but that’s more relative. We all lie, sometimes to deceive sometimes to not hurt others’ feelings, but mostly we try to avoid it.
    Whag, I'm not saying that believers are more moral than non-believers, I saying that non-believers do have the luxury of changing their moral code as it suits them. And why not, if morals are relative it logically follows that these personal changes are rational.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Whag, I'm not saying that believers are more moral than non-believers, I saying that non-believers do have the luxury of changing their moral code as it suits them. And why not, if morals are relative it logically follows that these personal changes are rational.

Yes. The standard for believers is laid out in God's word, and shown to us as well in the person of Christ. According to that standard, we are not to be swayed by the changing cultural "values" that a godless society presents as moral behaviour. Because God does not change His standard for our behaviour, neither can we.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    Yes. The standard for believers is laid out in God's word, and shown to us as well in the person of Christ. According to that standard, we are not to be swayed by the changing cultural "values" that a godless society presents as moral behaviour. Because God does not change His standard for our behaviour, neither can we.
    Exactly, but the moral relativist is under no such restriction. It would be perfectly rational for her to change her moral standard if she has set it too high (therefore too difficult), or if it interferes with a presently strong desire. The same with any associated guilt that might be generated since that too is merely the result of personal or cultural relative norms.
    Last edited by seer; 08-18-2018 at 11:39 AM.

12. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.