Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

So Easy To Be An Atheist!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    Um, "unspecified" is tautologically true. He is literally not specifying it. It's a somewhat amusing self-referential truth.
    I'm certain it amuses him, but he has (perhaps inadvertantly) specified it - which makes it no longer even tautologically true.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      That just does not make sense, what prejudices of the day?
      Well, for one, the prejudice against homosexuals, which even today still exists in some quarters. At other times, the prejudice against black people that led to various forms of apartheid or anti-miscegenation laws, or antisemitism or the emancipation of women's rights etc etc...ALL justified by appeals to scripture.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
        What? By "authority" do you just mean "power to punish"? Or is there something else you mean by that word?

In my vocabulary, "authority" is something voluntarily granted to a person by society (e.g. democratically elected politicians have authority to govern), if it not granted voluntarily it is merely "power" / "dictatorship" not "authority". So the phrase "inherent authority" is oxymoronic to me - you can't have inherent authority.
        Star, all law, whether from God, a King or the majority dictate what behaviors are acceptable or not. Even in a Democracy you will have a minority who do not recognize the authority of the majority, we call them criminals and often segregate them from civil society (we call that prison). So the majority does in fact claim authority over the minority, often using violence and incarceration to uphold that power and claim. The same with God, we Christians consent to and follow (as best we can) His moral code. People like you are perfectly free not to recognize His authority, but that will make you a criminal, and eventually you will be segregated from civil society (we call that hell).

Yawn. I see zero reason whatsoever to accept this claim on your part as true. It's about as plausible and uninteresting as saying my cat defines right and wrong. If you want to say "I seer, personally follow God's rules as my definition of right and wrong", sure. And I regard that roughly the same way I would regard "I seer, personally flip a coin before taking an action to decide what is right and wrong".
        Then who or what defines right? You? The Communists, Muslims? The majority?

Reality would. By learning about the world through observation and experience, and by empirical study and scientific research, we can observe and measure how our actions affect ourselves and others in society. We can come to understand how different actions affect people's freedom, happiness, well-being etc.
        Are you saying that all people have the same personal definition of happiness and well being? You can't even get off the ground. I can show you a number of studies showing that devout religion belief make people happier and more content - so then you would support the spreading of said religious belief? Besides your utilitarianism or scientific research are completely superficial and unnecessary, human beings have always known how to create heaven on earth, following the golden rule from the heart would solve most of the world's ills. The problem is, and always has been, we don't, we tend towards selfishness! And all your moral theories won't change that.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          Well, for one, the prejudice against homosexuals, which even today still exists in some quarters. At other times, the prejudice against black people that led to various forms of apartheid or anti-miscegenation laws, or antisemitism or the emancipation of women's rights etc etc...ALL justified by appeals to scripture.
          Tass you said:Interesting how god's moral laws seem to coincide with the social prejudices of the day.

Except the Biblical prohibition against homosexuality goes back close to three thousand years. So it has nothing to do with the prejudices of the day...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            Why is your designation not "atheist" instead of "unspecified". You are clear here that you believe God does not exist.

Please change your designation.
            You’ve given me an idea for a new topic. Thanks.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

I said most things, and most the moral imperatives in the New Testament are quite clear.
              Most laws in the OT are also quite clear. Do you follow them?

Ok, then why bring it in?
              As an example of our understanding of an objective law changing, not the law itself.

Correct, but changing a worldview is much more difficult than me (as an agnostic back then) deciding that promiscuity was not immoral. So the case of the theist and non-theists are not analogous. The believer has a moral an objective standard that he attempts to live up to, the atheist only has whatever he decides is right. And if what he thinks is right conflicts with his present desire for whatever, why not just change what he believes is right thereby removing the conflict? It would be perfectly rational do do so.
              Sorry, I don’t follow this. First it is a case of the moral subjectivist vs objectivist, not of non-theist vs theist, still making me think you don’t know what moral subjectivism/relativism is. Second I don’t see why opinions one believes to be subjective are easier to change than opinions one believes to be objective.

Most importantly, I find it hard to believe you think moral subjectivists can change their moral code on a dime. Back in the days when you were an agnostic, did you truly believe you could will yourself overnight into believing, say, theft or killing was morally permissible?

Comment

Originally posted by crepuscule View Post
                Most laws in the OT are also quite clear. Do you follow them?
                Yes, those that have been brought over in the New Covenant that Christ instituted.

Sorry, I don’t follow this. First it is a case of the moral subjectivist vs objectivist, not of non-theist vs theist, still making me think you don’t know what moral subjectivism/relativism is. Second I don’t see why opinions one believes to be subjective are easier to change than opinions one believes to be objective.
                Yes I know perfectly well what relativism is, and I am comparing theism with non-theism.

Most importantly, I find it hard to believe you think moral subjectivists can change their moral code on a dime. Back in the days when you were an agnostic, did you truly believe you could will yourself overnight into believing, say, theft or killing was morally permissible?
                Except when I was a relativist I did change some moral views rather quickly, as I explained. And yes, I actually did will myself into believing that breaking some laws was perfectly acceptable. Like selling weed or acid.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  I'm certain it amuses him, but he has (perhaps inadvertantly) specified it - which makes it no longer even tautologically true.
                  I am not inclined to wear a label because YOUR God, in His infinite wisdom, refuses to exist? However, I don’t want to rock the boat unnecessarily so I have gone for a different description, hopefully, more to your liking. I’m going beyond atheism and beyond that.

We should look at issues around labels, particularly ‘badges of shame’ at another time.
                  “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                  “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                  “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Yes, those that have been brought over in the New Covenant that Christ instituted.
                    So there are laws your God issued in the OT that you do not adhere to. By definition you’re a moral relativist then.

Yes I know perfectly well what relativism is, and I am comparing theism with non-theism.
                    But you’re equalling non-theism with subjectivism, whereas many non-theists are moral objectivists

Except when I was a relativist I did change some moral views rather quickly, as I explained. And yes, I actually did will myself into believing that breaking some laws was perfectly acceptable. Like selling weed or acid.
                    That wasn’t what I was asking.

Did you, or do you now, believe that when you were an agnostic you could will yourself into thinking theft or killing was morally permissible? 'Cause I don't think I could ever do that.

Comment

So there are laws your God issued in the OT that you do not adhere to. By definition you’re a moral relativist then.
                      Sure, some laws may in fact be relative, like all men journeying to Jerusalem three times a year, or the prohibition against wearing blended fibers. The moral laws that transcend both Testaments would be in the non-relative category.

But you’re equalling non-theism with subjectivism, whereas many non-theists are moral objectivists
                      The argument is about the ease with which one may change a moral view. I'm a theist, so I approach it from that position, let the moral realist defend his own position.

That wasn’t what I was asking.

Did you, or do you now, believe that when you were an agnostic you could will yourself into thinking theft or killing was morally permissible? 'Cause I don't think I could ever do that.
                      I just gave you two examples of things I believed were immoral, to believing that they were morally acceptable in a rather quick fashion. It doesn't have to be about killing or stealing.

Comment

Tass you said:Interesting how god's moral laws seem to coincide with the social prejudices of the day.

Except the Biblical prohibition against homosexuality goes back close to three thousand years. So it has nothing to do with the prejudices of the day...
                        Come now! There are hundreds of prohibitions in Leviticus and elsewhere in the OT that you no longer follow. You merely select those that coincide with your personal prejudices...prejudices not even shared by the majority of people in our society.

Where is the list of these New Covenant Laws that Christ instituted...or do we have to rely on your interpretation of scripture for that?
                        Last edited by Tassman; 08-22-2018, 12:06 AM.
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                          Come now! There are hundreds of prohibitions in Leviticus and elsewhere in the OT that you no longer follow. You merely select those that coincide with your personal prejudices...prejudices not even shared by the majority of people in our society.
                          No Tass, we select what God has selected - the moral law brought over from the Old Testament to the New Testament.

Where is the list of these New Covenant Laws that Christ instituted...or do we have to rely on your interpretation of scripture for that?
                          I recently listed a number of them for you on the Philosophy board, did you forget already? And BTW - no interpretation is needed, they are quite clear...

Comment

Sure, some laws may in fact be relative, like all men journeying to Jerusalem three times a year, or the prohibition against wearing blended fibers. The moral laws that transcend both Testaments would be in the non-relative category.
                            And here's me thinking it was a central Christian tenet that all God's moral laws were absolute.

But it does make me wonder if you really believe it was morally right thousands of years ago to for example stone witches to death.

The argument is about the ease with which one may change a moral view. I'm a theist, so I approach it from that position, let the moral realist defend his own position.
                            No, you were arguing from a (straw-mannish) atheist position, namely that -given moral subjectivism- it should be easy to change one's personal moral view.

What you propose is substituting a moral view for another for no other reason than that it's more convenient or easier to follow. I think that's a very poor reason to change one's moral code. That you have done so says more about you than about moral subjectivism.

I just gave you two examples of things I believed were immoral, to believing that they were morally acceptable in a rather quick fashion. It doesn't have to be about killing or stealing.
                            And I have given you examples or moral rules a subjectivist is unlikely to change, and also of rules an objectivist does change.

Comment

And here's me thinking it was a central Christian tenet that all God's moral laws were absolute.
                              You never heard that from me. Though some would be.

But it does make me wonder if you really believe it was morally right thousands of years ago to for example stone witches to death.
                              Yes, if they really were witches who sold their soul to the devil and intended to do harm.

No, you were arguing from a (straw-mannish) atheist position, namely that -given moral subjectivism- it should be easy to change one's personal moral view.
                              Well I have never heard a really coherent argument for objective morality from an atheist. Most around here are relativists - as far as I can tell.

What you propose is substituting a moral view for another for no other reason than that it's more convenient or easier to follow. I think that's a very poor reason to change one's moral code. That you have done so says more about you than about moral subjectivism.
                              Why? Why is that a poor reason? Ease of living or giving into one's desire can be quite powerful reasons.

And I have given you examples or moral rules a subjectivist is unlikely to change, and also of rules an objectivist does change.
                              I never said that all moral beliefs are easy to change, but some certainly are, even personally important ones. And what are the rules of an objectivist? Where do I find these?

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                                I am not inclined to wear a label because YOUR God, in His infinite wisdom, refuses to exist? However, I don’t want to rock the boat unnecessarily so I have gone for a different description, hopefully, more to your liking. I’m going beyond atheism and beyond that.

We should look at issues around labels, particularly ‘badges of shame’ at another time.
                                You think 'atheist' is a badge of shame? Fascinating.
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment