Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why is San Francisco ... covered in POOP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is San Francisco ... covered in POOP?

OK, I changed the title just for mossy

Why is San Francisco ... covered in human feces?

It’s an empirical fact: San Francisco is a crappier place to live these days. Sightings of human feces on the sidewalks are now a regular occurrence; over the past 10 years, complaints about human waste have increased 400%. People now call the city 65 times a day to report poop, and there have been 14,597 calls in 2018 alone. Last year, software engineer Jenn Wong even created a poop map of San Francisco, showing the concentration of incidents across the city. New mayor London Breed said: “There is more feces on the sidewalks than I’ve ever seen growing up here.” In a revolting recent incident, a 20lb bag of fecal waste showed up on a street in the city’s Tenderloin district.

A city covered in poop is so disgusting it has to be almost comical. But the uptick in street defecation is the symbol of a human tragedy. People aren’t pooping on the streets because they have suddenly forgotten what a bathroom is, or unlearned basic hygiene. The incidents are part of a broader failure of the city to provide for the basic needs of its citizens, and show the catastrophic, socially destructive effects of unchecked inequality.

One of the "solutions" is to force small businesses to drop the "restroom for customers only" policy.

Poop on the streets has another obvious cause: a lack of restroom access. Many businesses restrict their bathrooms to customers only, precisely because they don’t want their facilities to be frequented by the homeless. But the “privatization of bathrooms” means people are left without obvious places to go. There are even websites offering tips on how to go to the bathroom in San Francisco, such as by pretending to be interested in furniture at Crate & Barrel or finding the “hidden gem” of a bathroom on the second floor of a Banana Republic. The city has installed 25 small self-cleaning public toilets and recently commissioned a set of futuristic-looking new bathrooms, but a few dozen toilets for a city of 870,000 is woefully insufficient. Bathroom access should be considered a basic right, and it’s worth considering the idea of banning “customers only” toilets. In a city with generous public spaces and a commitment to equal access, no one would ever have to use the street.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

They even have apps listing particular, um, poopy (or is it poopie?), areas to avoid.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Why is San Francisco ... covered in human feces?
      Because they don't arrest and jail people who do this.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        "Imprison the homeless." - Seer, a Christian
        Last edited by Psychic Missile; 08-19-2018, 09:36 PM.

Comment

At least then they would have access to a bathroom and a place to sleep.

Comment

There is no evidence to suggest that arresting homeless people would work. We've had this conversation before.

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post560728

I'll repost Teal's response to you.

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            Originally posted by seer
            Well I certainly think that more law enforcement would go a long way in San Francisco. Don't you?
            That was not what you seemed to argue, Seer - you're post seemed to be saying that if you just arrest everyone, the problem goes away. Not having a job and not being able to afford a place to live - neither of those are crimes nor should they be. Anti-vagrancy laws alone only shuffle the problem around - there were homeless, they just got shipped elsewhere so you didn't have to see them.

Law enforcement is one of the tools that do need application, yes - but San Fran's existing laws would literally make that impossible anyway.

But at $37,000 per person, there's no way that they should be on the streets - heck, you could literally move them to a lower CoL area and pay for more than two year's rent. Add a third and just outright buy a house.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              They even have apps listing particular, um, poopy (or is it poopie?), areas to avoid.
              Are there really more than that one joke app that developer did for a hackathon, and which conservatives have been reporting as if its a genuine app ever since?

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/...ng-or-a-rumor/

Source: Mercury News

Of all the claims made by San Francisco’s detractors, possibly the most puzzling to people who actually live in the Bay Area is the “poop map.”

“The city now offers people poop maps so they can avoid surprises,” contends one online commenter on a recent story at this website about people moving out of San Francisco. Yet one could canvass the likely distribution points — the airport, BART stations, Pier 39 — and fail to come up with such a document. Is it real?

Here’s the story:

In November 2014, web developer Jennifer Wong won a hack week contest at her job with Human Wasteland, an interactive map that plotted locations of feces reported to San Francisco’s street cleaners. It got mentions from some local media — the Bold Italic called it “playful” — and that was that, for a while.

But around the end of 2016, it started getting coverage of a different sort, as politically conservative media used it in condemnation of San Francisco.

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by Leonhard; 08-20-2018, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                Are there really more than that one joke app that developer did for a hackathon, and which conservatives have been reporting as if its a genuine app ever since?

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/...ng-or-a-rumor/

Source: Mercury News

Of all the claims made by San Francisco’s detractors, possibly the most puzzling to people who actually live in the Bay Area is the “poop map.”

“The city now offers people poop maps so they can avoid surprises,” contends one online commenter on a recent story at this website about people moving out of San Francisco. Yet one could canvass the likely distribution points — the airport, BART stations, Pier 39 — and fail to come up with such a document. Is it real?

Here’s the story:

In November 2014, web developer Jennifer Wong won a hack week contest at her job with Human Wasteland, an interactive map that plotted locations of feces reported to San Francisco’s street cleaners. It got mentions from some local media — the Bold Italic called it “playful” — and that was that, for a while.

But around the end of 2016, it started getting coverage of a different sort, as politically conservative media used it in condemnation of San Francisco.

© Copyright Original Source

Could it be what was originally meant as a joke started becoming a useful tool as the problem got increasingly worse?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

There is no evidence to suggest that arresting homeless people would work. We've had this conversation before.

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post560728

I'll repost Teal's response to you.
                  There has to be a middle ground between the current policy and simply locking them up.

Comment

Could it be what was originally meant as a joke started becoming a useful tool as the problem got increasingly worse?
                    See that's an interesting question, though it doesn't appear to be one that conservative journalists have been interesting in exploring (unsurprisingly), at any rate I thought I'd inject that there's only one app. Its not an official app. Its a joke app, made by a person at a hackathon.

http://mochimachine.org/wasteland/

Comment

See that's an interesting question, though it doesn't appear to be one that conservative journalists have been interesting in exploring (unsurprisingly), at any rate I thought I'd inject that there's only one app. Its not an official app. Its a joke app, made by a person at a hackathon.

http://mochimachine.org/wasteland/
                      Again, what started as a joke app might now be regarded as a serious tool by many residents as the problem keeps getting worse. I'd be interested in seeing if there has been an increase in the number of people downloading it.

Comment

Again, what started as a joke app might now be regarded as a serious tool by many residents as the problem keeps getting worse. I'd be interested in seeing if there has been an increase in the number of people downloading it.
                        See, why aren't journalists doing that kind of work to make sure their news are correct?

The dataset is three years old and hasn't changed since then. I literally can't find anyone discussing or promoting it, or any references to linking to in any useful way either on Twitter or Reddit, or anywhere else. The only who is discussing is are conservatives news sources or commentators like Rush Limbaugh who's falsely claiming that its an official city app, or even that maps are handed out on streets etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                          "Imprison the homeless." - Seer, a Christian
                          Well no I would have you arrested too if you were pooping on the street, homeless or not. And if you kept doing it you should get jail time. Never mind the fact, having done prison ministry for a number of years, jail can be the only time they get clean (off of drugs/booze) three hot meals, a bed and health care.
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

The city could just put up pota-potties around the city.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              The city could just put up pota-potties around the city.
                              What I don't get is where were these homeless numbers 20 - 30 years ago? We never had homeless camps in my town until about five years ago, now we have a number of them. What has changed?

Comment