Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why is San Francisco ... covered in POOP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    It was a lot more complicated than that. There was a reaction to the "snake pit" image of mental institutions, a number of studies showing that people exhibiting no signs of mental illness still being confined, movies like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, the advent of psychiatric drugs able to manage psychotic episodes along with a bunch of other factors that led to wide-scale deinstitutionalisation.
    I couldn't help myself...

37730052_2141004286167804_3624480711630651392_n.jpg
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

It's certainly not "official"
      The link I provided, gave the story of its origin. A hackathon, one developer. Its not official, it hasn't been updated in three years, and it wasn't meant to be taken serious. The only ones taking it serious, are conservatives who want to fling poo at liberals.

"I will say there is more feces on the sidewalks than I’ve ever seen growing up here,"
      They may or may not have a poop problem. So far I've only heard from conservative sources about it, and lately I've been very unimpressed by their accuracy. Still there's definitely enough anectdotal stories to make me think there's something to it. My point was just that the whole poop map thing is a complete nothing burger.

ETA: And apparently there are poop maps so...

https://cdn2.desu-usergeneratedconte...7013792106.png
      You do realise that this is the app I was describing? The app which I linked to, both a story of its account, which I described as well as a link to the map itself? Right?

I don't think it's inconceivable that they are being handed out somewhere
      I haven't seen any evidence of this happening. Do you have any?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        http://mochimachine.org/wasteland/
        Sparko, did you even read my post? This is the app I was describing, made by one person at a hackathon, meant more as a joke or to get people talking about the issue. Its not actually an app meant to be used, and its dataset isn't updated at any rate. Its not the poop tracker conservatives somehow want it to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          The link I provided, gave the story of its origin. A hackathon, one developer. Its not official, it hasn't been updated in three years, and it wasn't meant to be taken serious. The only ones taking it serious, are conservatives who want to fling poo at liberals.

"I will say there is more feces on the sidewalks than I’ve ever seen growing up here,"
          They may or may not have a poop problem. So far I've only heard from conservative sources about it, and lately I've been very unimpressed by their accuracy. Still there's definitely enough anectdotal stories to make me think there's something to it. My point was just that the whole poop map thing is a complete nothing burger.
          Do you think the mayor of San Francisco is a conservative source? The fact that she is discussing it in her first one-on-one interview after being elected and saying it's a problem and the NBC station that conducted the interviewed chose to entitle it SF Mayor: 'There's More Feces ... Than I've Ever Seen' ought to be a clue that it is not just "conservatives who want to fling poo at liberals" who take this serious.

Btw, the map I linked to is dated 2018 (Map data © 2018 Google) which at least suggests updating from 3 years ago.
          Last edited by rogue06; 08-20-2018, 02:40 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Do you think the mayor of San Francisco is a conservative source?
            The claim was anectdotal, and I've seen a lot of those. As I said in my last post too. Which makes me think there's something to it. I'm not sure how big of an actual problem it is yet.

Btw, the map I linked to is dated 2018 (Map data © 2018 Google) which at least suggests updating from 3 years ago.
            Its using Google Maps. The Google Map its pulling is from 2018. Google Maps doesn't have poop data. So you'll have to ask yourself where the poop data is from. That's when you should notice two things, one the huge scrolling banner from the maker warning people that, nothing is being tracked, and that the site is being misused by some. Then you'll notice the data folders. And you'll see that the latest year they have data from is 2015, which is not long after the app the was launched.

The preceding years are from data archives from street cleaning services. That's about it.

So again, no, this is not a poop tracking app. There is no poop tracking app. And as far as I can tell no one is handing out printed versions of it, or any other poop map, not officially, not "officialy" and not unofficially.

I'll believe when I see hard evidence of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              You mean like forcing businesses to pay $15/hour in San Fran? Maybe there are more homeless because businesses can't afford that much.
              Yes, if a business can't pay workers a living wage, it is a bad business.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Nonsense, how many of these people are actually working!
                Huh?

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Now that is BS, this is about addiction and crime:
                Homeless people being addicted to drugs or committing criminals acts has no bearing on a lack of toilets available to homeless people.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                  Business owners often cannot pay themselves a living wage - doesn't mean it's a bad business - it means it hasn't yet reached profitability.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Business owners often cannot pay themselves a living wage - doesn't mean it's a bad business - it means it hasn't yet reached profitability.
                    That's often the case with a business in its first couple of years.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So businesses were paying living wages 20, 30 years ago when this was hardly a problem?
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Homeless people being addicted to drugs or committing criminals acts has no bearing on a lack of toilets available to homeless people.
                        No it has to do why they are homeless in the first place, and why they are not productive citizens caring for their own needs.

Comment

which means the business goes out of business and you end up with more unemployed people pooping in the street because they can't afford the outrageous rents in San Francisco.

Comment

Basically the problem can be traced to the tech industry. Most major tech companies have headquarters in Silicon Valley. They pay outrageous wages to get the best employees. San Fran and nearby cities see a gold mine and decide to charge more for everything including housing in order to "get their slice of the pie" - which ends up hurting the regular people who are only getting paid normal wages and can't afford the higher cost of living, which increases the homeless population. Which increases the poop.

It's all because of greed. Kind of like what happened during the actual Gold Rush days.

Comment

That's often the case with a business in its first couple of years.
                              Absolutely, been there, done that. Sold the t-shirt.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                                I'll believe when I see hard evidence of it.
                                Eww
                                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment