Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Is Islam Inherently Violent?

  1. #31
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    43,591
    Amen (Given)
    951
    Amen (Received)
    16369
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Whitewash!! Indeed in history Christianity did teach violence against others in particular Jews.


    For example: [cite=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Jews_and_Their_Lies]

    On the Jews and Their Lies

    On the Jews and Their Lies (German: Von den Jüden und iren Lügen; in modern spelling Von den Juden und ihren Lügen) is a 65,000-word antisemitic treatise written in 1543 by the German Reformation leader Martin Luther.

    Luther's attitude toward the Jews took different forms during his lifetime. In his earlier period, until 1537 or not much earlier, he wanted to convert Jews to Lutheranism (Protestant Christianity), but failed. In his later period when he wrote this particular treatise, he denounced them and urged their persecution.[1]

    In the treatise, he argues that Jewish synagogues and schools be set on fire, their prayer books destroyed, rabbis forbidden to preach, homes burned, and property and money confiscated. They should be shown no mercy or kindness,[2] afforded no legal protection,[3] and "these poisonous envenomed worms" should be drafted into forced labor or expelled for all time.[4] He also seems to advocate their murder, writing "[W]e are at fault in not slaying them"
    The point is that to engage in such behavior one has to behave in a manner diametrically opposed to what Christ repeatedly taught, whereas this is not the case with Islam. Muhammad repeatedly advocated violence to force conversions.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  2. Amen alaskazimm, Cerebrum123, Jedidiah amen'd this post.
  3. #32
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18,574
    Amen (Given)
    5415
    Amen (Received)
    10419
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Whitewash!! Indeed in history Christianity did teach violence against others in particular Jews.


    For example: [cite=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Jews_and_Their_Lies]

    On the Jews and Their Lies

    On the Jews and Their Lies (German: Von den Jüden und iren Lügen; in modern spelling Von den Juden und ihren Lügen) is a 65,000-word antisemitic treatise written in 1543 by the German Reformation leader Martin Luther.

    Luther's attitude toward the Jews took different forms during his lifetime. In his earlier period, until 1537 or not much earlier, he wanted to convert Jews to Lutheranism (Protestant Christianity), but failed. In his later period when he wrote this particular treatise, he denounced them and urged their persecution.[1]

    In the treatise, he argues that Jewish synagogues and schools be set on fire, their prayer books destroyed, rabbis forbidden to preach, homes burned, and property and money confiscated. They should be shown no mercy or kindness,[2] afforded no legal protection,[3] and "these poisonous envenomed worms" should be drafted into forced labor or expelled for all time.[4] He also seems to advocate their murder, writing "[W]e are at fault in not slaying them"
    You bumped a month-old thread to cite Wikipedia?
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  4. #33
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,102
    Amen (Given)
    1294
    Amen (Received)
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    The point is that to engage in such behavior one has to behave in a manner diametrically opposed to what Christ repeatedly taught, whereas this is not the case with Islam. Muhammad repeatedly advocated violence to force conversions.
    More white wash. There are citation by Paul tha Martin Luther based his view on, and no it was not contrary to the text of the NT.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  5. #34
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,102
    Amen (Given)
    1294
    Amen (Received)
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    You bumped a month-old thread to cite Wikipedia?
    Wikipedia is indeed accurate in this case. Any other source would read the same.

    A month old thread is not that old.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  6. #35
    Professor Cerebrum123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,367
    Amen (Given)
    17517
    Amen (Received)
    3472
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    More white wash. There are citation by Paul tha Martin Luther based his view on, and no it was not contrary to the text of the NT.
    You clearly don't understand the NT then. Not surprising given your other myriad of misunderstandings.

  7. Amen Jedidiah, Chrawnus amen'd this post.
  8. #36
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    43,591
    Amen (Given)
    951
    Amen (Received)
    16369
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    More white wash. There are citation by Paul tha Martin Luther based his view on, and no it was not contrary to the text of the NT.
    Not. Even. Close.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  9. Amen Jedidiah, Chrawnus amen'd this post.
  10. #37
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18,574
    Amen (Given)
    5415
    Amen (Received)
    10419
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Wikipedia is indeed accurate in this case. Any other source would read the same.

    A month old thread is not that old.
    Just noting your uncritical use of sources, is all. Luther is, um, not normative for Christianity in general. He's not even normative for Protestants.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  11. #38
    Professor KingsGambit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Next to you
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,228
    Amen (Given)
    1492
    Amen (Received)
    3967
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Just noting your uncritical use of sources, is all. Luther is, um, not normative for Christianity in general. He's not even normative for Protestants.
    I think it's a shame that a man who called for Jews' houses to be burned is uncritically considered a hero by many Protestants. Though I honestly think that most laymen just don't know about that.

    (Incidentally, I dismissed all Christian anti-Semitism as stupid based on the idea that Jesus was Jewish on a college paper that was given an A by my openly Jewish professor )
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

    All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

  12. #39
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18,574
    Amen (Given)
    5415
    Amen (Received)
    10419
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I think it's a shame that a man who called for Jews' houses to be burned is uncritically considered a hero by many Protestants. Though I honestly think that most laymen just don't know about that.
    Yeah, I don't think many people are aware of Luther's anti-Semitic writings; that's something of a mitigating factor.

    I also think it's a shame that he tore apart the Roman Catholic Church. While I agree with his questions regarding indulgences, he could've handled things in a rather more diplomatic manner (of course, the same could be said about the split between East and West in 1054).
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  13. #40
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    43,591
    Amen (Given)
    951
    Amen (Received)
    16369
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Yeah, I don't think many people are aware of Luther's anti-Semitic writings; that's something of a mitigating factor.
    Many in my family are Lutheran and few were aware of it and those who were only had a vague understanding that he was anti-Semitic and no idea how much so.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •