Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is Islam Inherently Violent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Whitewash!! Indeed in history Christianity did teach violence against others in particular Jews.

For example: [cite=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Jews_and_Their_Lies]

On the Jews and Their Lies

On the Jews and Their Lies (German: Von den Jüden und iren Lügen; in modern spelling Von den Juden und ihren Lügen) is a 65,000-word antisemitic treatise written in 1543 by the German Reformation leader Martin Luther.

Luther's attitude toward the Jews took different forms during his lifetime. In his earlier period, until 1537 or not much earlier, he wanted to convert Jews to Lutheranism (Protestant Christianity), but failed. In his later period when he wrote this particular treatise, he denounced them and urged their persecution.[1]

In the treatise, he argues that Jewish synagogues and schools be set on fire, their prayer books destroyed, rabbis forbidden to preach, homes burned, and property and money confiscated. They should be shown no mercy or kindness,[2] afforded no legal protection,[3] and "these poisonous envenomed worms" should be drafted into forced labor or expelled for all time.[4] He also seems to advocate their murder, writing "[W]e are at fault in not slaying them"
    The point is that to engage in such behavior one has to behave in a manner diametrically opposed to what Christ repeatedly taught, whereas this is not the case with Islam. Muhammad repeatedly advocated violence to force conversions.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Whitewash!! Indeed in history Christianity did teach violence against others in particular Jews.

For example: [cite=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Jews_and_Their_Lies]

On the Jews and Their Lies

On the Jews and Their Lies (German: Von den Jüden und iren Lügen; in modern spelling Von den Juden und ihren Lügen) is a 65,000-word antisemitic treatise written in 1543 by the German Reformation leader Martin Luther.

Luther's attitude toward the Jews took different forms during his lifetime. In his earlier period, until 1537 or not much earlier, he wanted to convert Jews to Lutheranism (Protestant Christianity), but failed. In his later period when he wrote this particular treatise, he denounced them and urged their persecution.[1]

In the treatise, he argues that Jewish synagogues and schools be set on fire, their prayer books destroyed, rabbis forbidden to preach, homes burned, and property and money confiscated. They should be shown no mercy or kindness,[2] afforded no legal protection,[3] and "these poisonous envenomed worms" should be drafted into forced labor or expelled for all time.[4] He also seems to advocate their murder, writing "[W]e are at fault in not slaying them"
      You bumped a month-old thread to cite Wikipedia?
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        The point is that to engage in such behavior one has to behave in a manner diametrically opposed to what Christ repeatedly taught, whereas this is not the case with Islam. Muhammad repeatedly advocated violence to force conversions.
        More white wash. There are citation by Paul tha Martin Luther based his view on, and no it was not contrary to the text of the NT.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          You bumped a month-old thread to cite Wikipedia?
          Wikipedia is indeed accurate in this case. Any other source would read the same.

A month old thread is not that old.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

More white wash. There are citation by Paul tha Martin Luther based his view on, and no it was not contrary to the text of the NT.
            You clearly don't understand the NT then. Not surprising given your other myriad of misunderstandings.

Comment

Not. Even. Close.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Wikipedia is indeed accurate in this case. Any other source would read the same.

A month old thread is not that old.
                Just noting your uncritical use of sources, is all. Luther is, um, not normative for Christianity in general. He's not even normative for Protestants.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Just noting your uncritical use of sources, is all. Luther is, um, not normative for Christianity in general. He's not even normative for Protestants.
                  I think it's a shame that a man who called for Jews' houses to be burned is uncritically considered a hero by many Protestants. Though I honestly think that most laymen just don't know about that.

(Incidentally, I dismissed all Christian anti-Semitism as stupid based on the idea that Jesus was Jewish on a college paper that was given an A by my openly Jewish professor )
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    I think it's a shame that a man who called for Jews' houses to be burned is uncritically considered a hero by many Protestants. Though I honestly think that most laymen just don't know about that.
                    Yeah, I don't think many people are aware of Luther's anti-Semitic writings; that's something of a mitigating factor.

I also think it's a shame that he tore apart the Roman Catholic Church. While I agree with his questions regarding indulgences, he could've handled things in a rather more diplomatic manner (of course, the same could be said about the split between East and West in 1054).

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I don't think many people are aware of Luther's anti-Semitic writings; that's something of a mitigating factor.
                      Many in my family are Lutheran and few were aware of it and those who were only had a vague understanding that he was anti-Semitic and no idea how much so.

Comment

Islam meens submit or surrender to God.To me I see some Islamic countries are living in the past.There times in history that Jews and Christian's killed others for heresy.Muslims believe a lot of things that were common place in the old testament.stoning among other things.To me true Islam is addherance to the Great commandment and the first commandment.like the Jewish faith Muslims believe one needs no go between to pray are speek with God.You shall have no God but the Lord your God.Allah is One.El is One.YHVH is One.Same God different understanding.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X