Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Giuliani trumps 'alternative facts' with 'Truth isn't truth'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giuliani trumps 'alternative facts' with 'Truth isn't truth'

As if the idea about “alternative facts” was not enough we now find ourselves in a situation in which those seeking to defend Trump make statements like this:

"Truth isn't truth." Rudy Giuliani https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...acts-orwellian
    What Giuliani appears to be suggesting is that if two versions of a story exist, we cannot seriously talk about what the true story is. This would have some very serious implications on basic logic since the law of non-contradiction would find no place in Giuliani-logic. This is a historic low point in the defence of Trump though it was bad enough already.

I think this is a rather obvious example of the “Fair is Foul, Foul is Fair” attitude. Instead of providing facts, evidence and good reasons, Giuliani appeals to relativism. The disrespect for objective truth seems to found at the root of this administration, its’ strategy and some of its’ supporters. And those in here and elsewhere who oppose relativism seem to be rather silent on this issue. One gets the impression that at the heart of it, they actually believe that "Truth isn't truth."
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Rudy has lost it... and he doesn't speak for anyone but himself.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      Thank you for showing so obviously that you don't care about the facts either. Giuliani is Trump's lawyer and speaks for him. That is a very simple fact for those of us who still believe in facts.
      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Giuliani's entire legal career, after being a clerk, was as a prosecutor. I never understood why Trump thought that would therefore automatically translate into his being a good defense attorney.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Eh, I get what Giuliani is getting at even if he worded it awkwardly. But this is politics where nobody is ever given the benefit of the doubt.

What Giuliani was attempting to say is that even if you're innocent, you don't hand prosecutors the rope to hang you with, because even telling the truth can get you into trouble.

For example:

"Do you know anything about who killed your neighbor?"
          "I didn't shoot him if that's what you're asking."
          "And how do you know he was shot? I never told you told you that."

Congratulations, you just became a suspect.

There is absolutely no compelling reason for Trump to voluntarily sit down for a conversation with Mueller.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Friends don't let friends go on talk shows drunk....
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Eh, I get what Giuliani is getting at even if he worded it awkwardly. But this is politics where nobody is ever given the benefit of the doubt.

What Giuliani was attempting to say is that even if you're innocent, you don't hand prosecutors the rope to hang you with, because even telling the truth can get you into trouble.

For example:

"Do you know anything about who killed your neighbor?"
              "I didn't shoot him if that's what you're asking."
              "And how do you know he was shot? I never told you told you that."

Congratulations, you just became a suspect.

There is absolutely no compelling reason for Trump to voluntarily sit down for a conversation with Mueller.
              That was not the example I heard him use. Did he say anything along those lines or is this your best guess of what you would like to believe he really meant to say when he said 'Truth isn't truth'?

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                Thank you for showing so obviously that you don't care about the facts either. Giuliani is Trump's lawyer and speaks for him. That is a very simple fact for those of us who still believe in facts.
                Of course I care about the facts. But Rudy is clearly not on his game.
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Of course I care about the facts. But Rudy is clearly not on his game.
                  And yet he remains Trump's lawyer and speaks for him (though you said he did not speak for anyone but himself).

Comment

I like what you did with the thread title here. Clever.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                      That was not the example I heard him use. Did he say anything along those lines or is this your best guess of what you would like to believe he really meant to say when he said 'Truth isn't truth'?
                      You basically posted a comedy clip video of various statements being made with no context. It has no meaning.

Comment

There was a time when all Giuliani said was a noun, a verb and 9/11. Now, apparently, he's settled for nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          I like what you did with the thread title here. Clever.
                          Thanks. However it is not something I can take much credit for since it is based pretty much on the title in the article I refer to.

Comment