Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Two Daughters - Two Stories - and Maybe a Prodigal

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And the realtor just called and is listing that property for $69,900 - which is great news - and George never wants to go back there again. Because of her diligence in preparing for court, George ended up owning that property outright, with only a small amount of "back taxes" which will be taken care of out of the proceeds of the sale.
    The property is officially listed as of yesterday morning, and they already have two showings scheduled for today!

George is having the realtor arrange to have all the proceeds directed to my bank account, where we'll work on paying off her debts and cleaning up her credit.

Her husband had a truck repossessed (on paper) for lack of payment, so they were completely without a vehicle. I'm helping to pay off that vehicle from my savings, with the understanding that that money will be replaced from the proceeds of the property. Her husband is in total agreement.

George and her husband (wow, that sounds funny) are actually talking, and seem to want to stay together, but with family counseling. I have to be honest - I have suspicions about his motives, that maybe he's "getting along" to make sure he gets his share of the money. BECAUSE of the extent to which I have helped them financially in the past, the proceeds from the sale of the property will go 1/3 to me, 1/3 to George, and 1/3 to her husband. If they get back together, they can pool their money, if not, they each have some money to get restarted.

The truck was her husbands, and he owed $12,000 on it, and they were actively hunting it down to take it back. He called the finance company and negotiated a settlement of $5,200, which I paid out of his 1/3 of the anticipated proceeds.

I think they're finally realizing how low they sank - he couldn't get a job because he didn't have transportation, so I helped out with the truck for that reason - he needs to get off his lazy butt and get a real job.

Finally - George would like to get back together with her husband, only under totally different circumstances than the bad life they were living. I arranged for them to spend 2 days together to talk things over, so that's today and tomorrow, and we'll see where that goes.

Finally finally -- George seems to be "clearing up" more each day -- seems WAY less "in a fog", the slurred speech is gone, she's seeming far more aware of what she's done and, and realizes her husband may have ulterior motives in "being nice" and cooperative, so she wants to talk about that and decide their future.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

2. Amen mossrose, Jedidiah, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    More prayers.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

4. Amen Cow Poke, Cerebrum123, LostSheep amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The property is officially listed as of yesterday morning, and they already have two showings scheduled for today
    She signed a contract this morning - a CASH offer for the property, and she is anxious to get rid of it and put that chapter behind her. It's not for the full asking price, but it's WAY more money than she would have ended up with if she had lost her court case.

If she had lost her court case, she would probably have been sued for "back rent", taxes, penalties.... AND been evicted.

She has her days - yesterday was a bit stormy, because she felt like everything was closing in on her, and she and I clashed pretty stormily*.

Today is much better - calmly worked her through the real estate contract, on which they close in TWO WEEKS!!!!

*I have often said George inherited all of the worst attributes of both her mother and her father, and very little of the good of either.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

6. Amen mossrose, LostSheep, Sparko amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Kinda bummed...

We had a GREAT day on Tuesday - she found a board certified doctor to help balance her meds, so on a moment's notice, we rushed off to the other side of Houston to visit this doctor (he also has an office much closer, but the initial appt had to be at his Celar Lake office -- right across the street from Space Center Houston!!!!)

She was so relieved, had a good visit, doc gave her a milder prescription to replace some of the stuff she was on - he was very personable and helpful - told her he would manage her medications, but there had to be total trust, and he would require a 'pee in the cup' at every visit for a much broader screen than just "employment screening"... She was happy with that, because she wants to be accountable.

I'm thinking we're finally getting out of the woods --- then we go to the DPS yesterday to get her drivers' license updated (she had lost hers, and needed a change of address) and spent an hour and a half waiting --- only for them to tell her she doesn't have enough documentation to issue her a new license. This was humiliating to her, and caused her to (once we got outside the building) burst into tears and declare "nothing is working - no matter how hard I try"....

It was a HORRIBLE night yesterday - I still had to preach at Church and have a Wednesday night business meeting - interspersed with phone calls and texts with her crying and wanting to give up. Then coming home to talk to her til about 4 in the morning...

So she calls her husband to see if he can find her social security card or birth certificate, and they end up screaming at each other (I have to admit I think she started it with an emotional outburst he had no idea what was going on)....

I was pretty much at my wit's end yesterday....

Today, she's calmed down and ready to "work the problem" again, so.....

8. Amen Sparko, Jedidiah, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

10. Amen lee_merrill amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Sheeeesh.....

it never ends.

I talked to Social Security Admin, and the guy told me if she had a current medical bill that showed her name and patient ID, they would consider that.
    Since she's recently been hospitalized, I had her search through her papers looking for that.

As she was shuffling through all her papers (she had a TON of papers having to do with the court case on the house) she opened a folder, and her original SOCIAL SECURITY CARD fell out of a pocket of a folder!

We used that to go back to DPS - there were only TWO PEOPLE IN LINE ahead of us, and she got her drivers license!

Then, on the way home, a girlfriend called her to let her know her husband was not home last night like he had said, and the waterworks started all over again.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Grace and peace! To you and yours...
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

13. Amen Cow Poke, mossrose, Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    OK, Back on track....

Maybe it was just the intense pressure of selling the place, being homeless, adjusting to meds.... things are WAY calmed down now.
    Got the proceeds from the sale, paid off all warrants/tickets, got both of them updated drivers' licenses, George got a car - paid cash - husband's truck's transmission is fixed...
    I think they are planning to stay together and work things out.

If EVER she had an opportunity for a "clean slate" - this is it. New friends, new surroundings, all debt paid, new doctor who seems genuinely interested in weaning her off even the prescription drugs if possible....

And she's talking about getting her spiritual life squared away.

If she blows it this time - I don't know what else I could have done. It's on them!

15. Amen mossrose, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    OK, Back on track....

Maybe it was just the intense pressure of selling the place, being homeless, adjusting to meds.... things are WAY calmed down now.
    Got the proceeds from the sale, paid off all warrants/tickets, got both of them updated drivers' licenses, George got a car - paid cash - husband's truck's transmission is fixed...
    I think they are planning to stay together and work things out.

If EVER she had an opportunity for a "clean slate" - this is it. New friends, new surroundings, all debt paid, new doctor who seems genuinely interested in weaning her off even the prescription drugs if possible....

And she's talking about getting her spiritual life squared away.

If she blows it this time - I don't know what else I could have done. It's on them!

It always has been.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)