Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Two Daughters - Two Stories - and Maybe a Prodigal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuesday evening, this past week, George came to my house and said she needed to talk.

She started by asking how old she was when she was baptized. I told her she was 8 or 9, and I remembered it was in the summer after a Vacation Bible School.

She said she didn't really remember much about it, except she's heard me tell how she "doggy paddled" to me in the baptistry, launching off the top step and swimming over to me.

Long story short, she asked how she could know for sure she was saved. She pointed out that she knows that, for the past 15-20 years, she hadn't "lived like she was saved". She also said, "I think, if I 'got saved', it might have been because my Dad was a preacher, and it was something I was supposed to do".

So, after discussing it for a bit, we prayed, and she asked Jesus to forgive her of her sins, and asked Him to save her and be Lord of her life. She then asked if she could be baptized.

Yesterday morning, at the conclusion of a sermon from Philippians 2, I had the honor and privilege of baptizing my daughter. I was very pleasantly surprised by the standing ovation (not very common for a baptism) when she and I hugged after the baptism, standing there soaking wet in the baptistry, because many of these people had been praying for her for the past 8 or 9 years, and some of them have similar "prodigal sons" (or daughters).

Yesterday morning was special - for reasons I can't explain, there was an unusually large crowd for Church, the music was outstanding, the sermon was 'really easy to preach' (it just seemed to flow) and the baptism was the icing on the cake, so to speak.

After Church, George wanted to go to eat at Whataburger - and I swear she looked like a whole new person. A whole different countenance.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!!!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Great news indeed

From what you said it sounds like she really wanted to do something that was entirely of her own choosing to mark her coming to Christ so it is no surprise that this is having a profound effect upon her.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Great news indeed

From what you said it sounds like she really wanted to do something that was entirely of her own choosing to mark her coming to Christ so it is no surprise that this is having a profound effect upon her.
        EGGzackly... she seems totally different about.... in the past she's had "I need to clean up my life" moments, but NOTHING like this! Worldly things that never used to bother her now cause her concern - like the music she used to listen to.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Tuesday evening, this past week, George came to my house and said she needed to talk.

She started by asking how old she was when she was baptized. I told her she was 8 or 9, and I remembered it was in the summer after a Vacation Bible School.

She said she didn't really remember much about it, except she's heard me tell how she "doggy paddled" to me in the baptistry, launching off the top step and swimming over to me.

Long story short, she asked how she could know for sure she was saved. She pointed out that she knows that, for the past 15-20 years, she hadn't "lived like she was saved". She also said, "I think, if I 'got saved', it might have been because my Dad was a preacher, and it was something I was supposed to do".

So, after discussing it for a bit, we prayed, and she asked Jesus to forgive her of her sins, and asked Him to save her and be Lord of her life. She then asked if she could be baptized.

Yesterday morning, at the conclusion of a sermon from Philippians 2, I had the honor and privilege of baptizing my daughter. I was very pleasantly surprised by the standing ovation (not very common for a baptism) when she and I hugged after the baptism, standing there soaking wet in the baptistry, because many of these people had been praying for her for the past 8 or 9 years, and some of them have similar "prodigal sons" (or daughters).

Yesterday morning was special - for reasons I can't explain, there was an unusually large crowd for Church, the music was outstanding, the sermon was 'really easy to preach' (it just seemed to flow) and the baptism was the icing on the cake, so to speak.

After Church, George wanted to go to eat at Whataburger - and I swear she looked like a whole new person. A whole different countenance.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!!!
          That's great!

But, did she dog paddle to you this time?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            That's great!

But, did she dog paddle to you this time?
            Nope - she was much more somber about this.

Comment

EGGzackly... she seems totally different about.... in the past she's had "I need to clean up my life" moments, but NOTHING like this! Worldly things that never used to bother her now cause her concern - like the music she used to listen to.
              She is transformed! Her baptism seemed to be a declaration of war on Satan and his forces. She is listening only to Christian music, and can't stand the "Nigga Rap" she used to love. Her vocabulary has changed, her conduct has changed - the "voices" she hears are no longer threatening and scary, but calm and assuring. She is hooked on Old Testament stories of God's dealing with Jezebel, Elijah, Baal, Ahab, etc, and fully recognizes that her previous struggles were spiritual.

She is studying "the pulling down of strongholds", and sees "Victory in Jesus" all around her.

She's not a "religious fanatic" (sometimes people tend to go 180 degrees the other direction) but fully believing that she needs to be "dressed for battle" (Eph 6) and trusting in the Lord.

Remarkable change.

Comment

She's not a "religious fanatic" (sometimes people tend to go 180 degrees the other direction) but fully believing that she needs to be "dressed for battle" (Eph 6) and trusting in the Lord.

Remarkable change.
                The "calmer" changes are probably the ones that are more sustainable long term, once the initial excitement dies down and the realities of a fallen world set in. So this is good news!
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  The "calmer" changes are probably the ones that are more sustainable long term, once the initial excitement dies down and the realities of a fallen world set in. So this is good news!
                  She actually said "it's like the screaming has stopped and I'm hearing the 'still small voice'" - she used that term.

Comment

Remarkable change.
                    The Holy Spirit specializes in that.

One of the guys at my dad's church was a foul-mouthed union thug (his description) before he found Christ. You'd never know it today.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      The Holy Spirit specializes in that.

One of the guys at my dad's church was a foul-mouthed union thug (his description) before he found Christ. You'd never know it today.
                      Then there's somebody like my wife - who was, by all accounts, 'a really good person', who accepted Christ as Savior, and continued living a really good life.

But, yes, I've seen some pretty remarkable conversions in my life, and I'm glad I'm getting to see it close up with my daughter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Then there's somebody like my wife - who was, by all accounts, 'a really good person', who accepted Christ as Savior, and continued living a really good life.

But, yes, I've seen some pretty remarkable conversions in my life, and I'm glad I'm getting to see it close up with my daughter.
                        My dad was a mean alcoholic before he was saved. I grew up never hearing him say "I love you" - I would hide in my room after school to avoid him. Afterwards, he would tell me he loved me at every opportunity, stopped drinking, was a completely different person. His change was the reason I became a Christian. I figured God had to be real if he could change my dad like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          My dad was a mean alcoholic before he was saved. I grew up never hearing him say "I love you" - I would hide in my room after school to avoid him. Afterwards, he would tell me he loved me at every opportunity, stopped drinking, was a completely different person. His change was the reason I became a Christian. I figured God had to be real if he could change my dad like that.

Comment

Have you ever heard this song? Sounds like maybe your Dad-ish....

Quartet?
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

My stepsister had a pretty remarkable turnaround, too - while going to college, no less!

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Quartet?
                                One guy played the piano.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment