Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

New evidence of a possible cyclic universe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Actually they are. Do you believe this theory or not?
    They? What is they?

All I propose in this thread is that the hypothesis of a cyclic universe is 'possible' supported by the new evidence. It is possible that our universe is finitely or infinitely cyclic IF it is a cyclic universe. Science cannot falsify whether our physical existence is eternal, temporal, infinite nor finite.

I do not view science in terms of what 'I believe or not.'

My belief in the Baha'i Faith teaches the harmony of science and religion. The question whether our universe is cyclic or not is no problem with what 'I believe.'
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      If it has no first cause then there can never be succeeding effects. That's the point of the domino example.
      In the case of no first cause, there would be an infinite prior cause and effects. Else it would not be infinite. In any case there still would be an uncaused cause, which is contingent on there being uncaused existence, which is the only self existent, and there is non else.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
        Only for a finite closed system. An infinite past without a beginning has no first cause. Else it would not be infinite.
        That sentence doesn't even make sense.

Basically an actual infinity consisting of an infinite amount of moments ticking off cannot exist. Or an infinite number of loops. You could never reach the current moment or loop. MM explained it very well. William Lane Craig explained it well in his Kalam Cosmological Argument. Imagine you come across an man who has been counting down for an infinite amount of time and just as you come across him he say, "3, 2, 1, done!" If he has been counting from infinity, why didn't he finish a year ago, 1000 years ago, or an infinite number of years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          They? What is they?
          your beliefs.

All I propose in this thread is that the hypothesis of a cyclic universe is 'possible' supported by the new evidence. It is possible that our universe is finitely or infinitely cyclic IF it is a cyclic universe. Science cannot falsify whether our physical existence is eternal, temporal, infinite nor finite.

My belief in the Baha'i Faith teaches the harmony of science and religion. The question whether our universe is cyclic or not is no problem with what 'I believe.'
          Of course it matter what you believe. You would not post a theory that you didn't believe would you? You always seem to post articles and theories that you believe point to an infinite number of universe cycles, or a super metaverse that always existed and creates bubble universes like ours. It has become a pet project of yours. Yet if you actually believed in God, you would not keep trying so hard to eliminate him with the wacky theories you keep posting.

Comment

Basically an actual infinity consisting of an infinite amount of moments ticking off cannot exist. Or an infinite number of loops. You could never reach the current moment or loop. MM explained it very well. William Lane Craig explained it well in his Kalam Cosmological Argument. Imagine you come across an man who has been counting down for an infinite amount of time and just as you come across him he say, "3, 2, 1, done!" If he has been counting from infinity, why didn't he finish a year ago, 1000 years ago, or an infinite number of years ago?
            An infinite past can and does consist of an infinite number of moments. And has no first moment. And an infinite can end and still remain infinite. The Son of God as God has such an infinite past. Now forever will be a man for a finite time. Yet for infinite time remains the Son of God.
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

In the case of no first cause, there would be an infinite prior cause and effects. Else it would not be infinite. In any case there still would be an uncaused cause, which is contingent on there being uncaused existence, which is the only self existent, and there is non else.
              You seem to be confusing the concept of infinity with infinite regress. Infinity can and does exist, but an infinite regress can not for reasons that have been explained (short version, it's literally impossible for all prior causes and effects to have transpired, meaning you could never reach any one cause and effect in the series). I suspect your hesitance to accept that an infinite regress is impossible is because you think this somehow contradicts the existence of God, but God is not a series of causes and effects; rather, he simply exists in a timeless, unchanging state. To put it another way, God is infinite, but he is not infinitely regressive.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

An infinite past can and does consist of an infinite number of moments. And has no first moment. And an infinite can end and still remain infinite. The Son of God as God has such an infinite past. Now forever will be a man for a finite time. Yet for infinite time remains the Son of God.
                God has existed from eternity. Not infinity. He existed prior to their being time. Time itself had a beginning so it can not be infinite. An actual infinity can't exist. Only a potential infinity. Like saying you will live forever. You had an actual beginning and you will potentially live forever, but you can never actually reach infinity by counting from 1. You will always be at a finite number. So infinite time remains for you too. But you will never reach infinity.

Comment

your beliefs.

Of course it matter what you believe. You would not post a theory that you didn't believe would you? You always seem to post articles and theories that you believe point to an infinite number of universe cycles, or a super metaverse that always existed and creates bubble universes like ours. It has become a pet project of yours. Yet if you actually believed in God, you would not keep trying so hard to eliminate him with the wacky theories you keep posting.
                  I cannot accept your negative view of science. I can only state my belief in God, the Baha'i Faith and the relationship to science. the ever advancing knowledge of science is not a threat to my belief in God, because science is only capable of theories and hypothesis concerning the nature of our physical existence,

Again . . .

But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    I cannot accept your negative view of science. I can only state my belief in God, the Baha'i Faith and the relationship to science. the ever advancing knowledge of science is not a threat to my belief in God, because science is only capable of theories and hypothesis concerning the nature of our physical existence,

Again . . .

Your complete dodge speaks a mouthful Shunya. We have indeed made the right decision regarding your faith designation on this site. Thank you.

Comment

God has existed from eternity. Not infinity. He existed prior to their being time. Time itself had a beginning so it can not be infinite. An actual infinity can't exist. Only a potential infinity. Like saying you will live forever. You had an actual beginning and you will potentially live forever, but you can never actually reach infinity by counting from 1. You will always be at a finite number. So infinite time remains for you too. But you will never reach infinity.
                      So are you arguing that eternity is not an infinite past? God is infinite. God who create [ex nihlo] our heaven and earth sometime in eternity after He created the angels, could have created infinite creations prior to our heaven and earth, there never being any first creation. God has not changed.

Comment

Your complete dodge speaks a mouthful Shunya. We have indeed made the right decision regarding your faith designation on this site. Thank you.
                        Great example of self-emulation!

Frank

Comment

So are you arguing that eternity is not an infinite past? God is infinite. God who create [ex nihlo] our heaven and earth sometime in eternity after He created the angels, could have created infinite creations prior to our heaven and earth, there never being any first creation. God has not changed.
                          God existed prior to there being time. So he can't exist in an infinite past because there is no infinite past. Time started when God created it. That is why I say he existed eternally.

Infinity isn't a duration anyway. It is a complete set. You can't build up to infinity. Infinity just is.

Comment

God existed prior to there being time. So he can't exist in an infinite past because there is no infinite past. Time started when God created it. That is why I say he existed eternally.

Infinity isn't a duration anyway. It is a complete set. You can't build up to infinity. Infinity just is.
                            I never argued building up to any infinity. But from infinity, where there is no beginning.

". . . from everlasting to everlasting . . ." Psalm 90:2.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              You seem to be confusing the concept of infinity with infinite regress. Infinity can and does exist, but an infinite regress can not for reasons that have been explained (short version, it's literally impossible for all prior causes and effects to have transpired, meaning you could never reach any one cause and effect in the series). I suspect your hesitance to accept that an infinite regress is impossible is because you think this somehow contradicts the existence of God, but God is not a series of causes and effects; rather, he simply exists in a timeless, unchanging state. To put it another way, God is infiniAte, but he is not infinitely regressive.
                              An infinite regression has no beginning, no first event.

There are two possibilities:

A: That God from eternity never created anything until one unique first creation.
                              Where in eternity prior to that creation God was not yet a creator.

B: That God from eternity created. That there was never any first unique creation.
                              God was always the Creator.

Comment

An infinite regression has no beginning, no first event.

There are two possibilities:

A: That God from eternity never created anything until one unique first creation.
                                Where in eternity prior to that creation God was not yet a creator.

B: That God from eternity created. That there was never any first unique creation.
                                God was always the Creator.
                                I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here, but the fact that an infinite regress has no first event is precisely the reason why there can be no succeeding causes, making it essentially a fixed state that can never change.

As for your two possibilities, you seem to be wrestling with the question, "If God is infinite then when did he decide to create the universe?" and answer B seems to be the most correct: God eternally willed its creation. To talk of God in terms of "before and after creation" is incoherent.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment