Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trinity. What is the difference between Being and persons?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Trinity. What is the difference between Being and persons?

The Trinity is that there is one Being in three persons.

What is the difference between Being and persons?

Thanks.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That's not really what the Trinity "says"

One God revealed in three persons.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    That's not really what the Trinity "says"

One God revealed in three persons.
    Trinitarian Van Til also refers to God as a person. [God the Father is one person.]
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    OK, guys. Take some pity on me.

There is one Being who is God, but God in three persons.

What is the difference between Being and person?

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Where are you coming up with the term 'being' in this connection? Don't mean to be hard on you but it reads as though you are making it up from nothing.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Where are you coming up with the term 'being' in this connection? Don't mean to be hard on you but it reads as though you are making it up from nothing.
    I'm getting it from a book called "The Forgotten Trinity" by James R. White.

On page 26, it says:

"With in one Being that is God, there exists eternally three coequal and coeternal persons, namely, the Faher, the Son, and the Holy Spirit."

Faith
    Begome Ordodox
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    "Being" is definitely a word that was used when I was in seminary. The other thing is "one what with three whos."

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian3 View Post

On page 26, it says:

"With in one Being that is God, there exists eternally three coequal and coeternal persons, namely, the Faher, the Son, and the Holy Spirit."
    That statement is fine. God is one entity, one being. The LXX translates "I AM that I AM" (Exodus 3:14) as "I Am the Being." And it was the Son of God on behalf of God the Father who appeared and spoke (John 1:18, compare John 14:9).

The Apostle Paul explicitly refers to the Father as the "one God" (1 Corinthians 8:6 & Ephesians 4:6). Jesus called His Father the true God (John 17:1). It is to be understood that the Son is God too (John 5:18). They are eternally different persons, but the very same God.

The term "Trinity" needs to be understood as the name of the explanation. The error is when one tries to explain the explanation.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian3 View Post

On page 26, it says:

That is more precise than your initial statement. I don't like the statement "with in" though, it makes it sound like God is some sort of being with three people stuck inside him. Each person is fully God, they are not part of God. Yet there is one God. And the three persons coexist eternally. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit all exist together and yet they are not each other, but are all fully God. The Son is not the Father. The Father is not the Son. The Holy Spirit is not the Father. etc. Yet each person is fully God. And there is only one God. Not Three Gods and not one God that is split into three pieces, or One God that changes from Father to Son to Holy Spirit at different times.

10. Amen 37818 amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by thewriteranon View Post
    "Being" is definitely a word that was used when I was in seminary. The other thing is "one what with three whos."
    I have heard it explained this way too.

I am trying to explain the concept of the Trinity to a lady and I think I confused her with the word "Being." She asked what the difference between Being and Person is. I will try "one God in three persons" and see if that helps her.