Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Idea of Craving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Idea of Craving

According to one of the Four Noble Truths of Buddhism, the cause of suffering is craving. What kind of craving is it? Is it any kind of craving? I'm just curious.

Originally posted by Hornet View Post
    According to one of the Four Noble Truths of Buddhism, the cause of suffering is craving. What kind of craving is it? Is it any kind of craving? I'm just curious.
    The way I understand it they mean any kind of desire.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
      The way I understand it they mean any kind of desire.
      Would that include the desire to obtain nirvana?

Comment

Given the que sera sera attitude I've often seen* with Buddhism that wouldn't surprise me. Then again logical consistency doesn't seem to be a priority.

*Admittedly a very small and indirect sample size.

Comment

The problem with "I want to attain nirvana" is not "to attain nirvana", it is the "I want". What you think is "I" isn't; the "I" is something you have to leave behind.

Craving (samudāya) is sometimes translated "selfish desire". It is the "self-" that is the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            Then again logical consistency doesn't seem to be a priority.
            Originally posted by rossum View Post
            The problem with "I want to attain nirvana" is not "to attain nirvana", it is the "I want". What you think is "I" isn't; the "I" is something you have to leave behind.
            Hmmm. I see what you mean Brum.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X