Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Leftism as Secular Religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I have to question Prager's statement that leftists believe that people are basically good. Consider the rise of the social justice warrior cult that is rapidly taking over liberalism. This actually seems to have more in common with Calvinism than atheism in that it maintains that people are fated to be racist oppressors or helpless victims based on the color of the skin they are born with. They certainly do not believe that people are basically good. Even though Prager is off on that one, I think that this philosophy (intersectionalism) is very much like a religion, which still plays into his broader point.
    I suspect you're somewhat missing Prager's point. Do, e.g., SJWs view themselves as basically good?
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      I suspect you're somewhat missing Prager's point. Do, e.g., SJWs view themselves as basically good?
      No. The ones I know engage in constant self-flagellation.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        No. The ones I know engage in constant self-flagellation.
        The few I know are incredibly self-congratulatory and insufferably smug.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Does anyone have an opinion on the actual article?
          Life at the biological level has no intrinsic meaning. Birth, survival, procreation, death. What meaning each individual gives to their life is entirely subjective and personal. To use a phrase "Life is what we make of it".

Prager is also indulging in some sweeping generalisations which, I suspect, arise from his own rather conservative viewpoint; and has created a term "Leftism" to encapsulate everything within modern western society for which he does not particularly approve or like.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
            Life at the biological level has no intrinsic meaning. Birth, survival, procreation, death.
            What a sad philosophy you have. I feel sorry for you.

Comment

The runaway bestseller White Fragility bolsters my earlier point with its maintaining that white people are doomed to be racist no matter what.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                What a sad philosophy you have. I feel sorry for you.
                What philosophy? I have offered no philosophical opinion.

I qualified my remarks with the phrase "at the biological level" and that holds true. At the biological level the purpose of any living organism is to procreate and pass on its genes. Nothing else, at that level, matters.

As to our own lives, each human being give his/her own meaning[s] to their life. There is no over-arching and definitive "meaning" as to the purpose of human life.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

What philosophy? I have offered no philosophical opinion.

I qualified my remarks with the phrase "at the biological level" and that holds true. At the biological level the purpose of any living organism is to procreate and pass on its genes. Nothing else, at that level, matters.

As to our own lives, each human being give his/her own meaning[s] to their life. There is no over-arching and definitive "meaning" as to the purpose of human life.
                  That is your philosophy. That life at the biological level has no meaning and we give our own life meaning.

Mine is that life was created by God for a purpose. He gives it all meaning, from the microbe to the human being.

Comment

That is your philosophy.
                    As has already been stated I have offered no philosophical opinion.

That life at the biological level has no meaning
                    That is a fact. Or do you imagine the average cabbage or salmon attributes a "meaning" to its existence? Or perhaps you consider that spiders sit in their webs musing on the meaning of life.

and we give our own life meaning.
                    Of course we do. You have briefly outlined what you consider to be the meaning of life. However, your views on this issue are only facts insofar as they express your opinions.

Mine is that life was created by God for a purpose. He gives it all meaning, from the microbe to the human being
                    That reads as if you accept either predestination, or you are a fatalist.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

As has already been stated I have offered no philosophical opinion.

That is a fact. Or do you imagine the average cabbage or salmon attributes a "meaning" to its existence? Or perhaps you consider that spiders sit in their webs musing on the meaning of life.

Of course we do. You have briefly outlined what you consider to be the meaning of life. However, your views on this issue are only facts insofar as they express your opinions.

That reads as if you accept either predestination, or you are a fatalist.
                      uh no. Just that God created everything for a reason and a purpose. Even you.

Comment

uh no. Just that God created everything for a reason and a purpose. Even you.
                        That is your belief. It is not a fact.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

That is your belief. It is not a fact.
                          As was yours. Which is why I said it was so sad.

Comment

As was yours. Which is why I said it was so sad.
                            What I wrote regarding life at the biological level is a fact. The strictly biological purpose of any living organism [be it a butterfly, a cat, or one of the owners of a Christian internet website] is to survive long enough to breed.

After that the biological raison d’ętre is over and the organism can die having passed on its genes to the next generation.

The remains then play their part in the nitrogen-carbon cycle. The various tissues will be broken down into their respective chemical constitutents which will be recycled and then used to maintain and support new life.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

What I wrote regarding life at the biological level is a fact. The strictly biological purpose of any living organism [be it a butterfly, a cat, or one of the owners of a Christian internet website] is to survive long enough to breed.

After that the biological raison d’ętre is over and the organism can die having passed on its genes to the next generation.

The remains then play their part in the nitrogen-carbon cycle. The various tissues will be broken down into their respective chemical constitutents which will be recycled and then used to maintain and support new life.
                              How sad.

Comment

How sad.
                                Not at all. It's a fact of existence - get used to it.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X