Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Grilling the BEST STEAK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boring people may enjoy eating the exact same thing over and over and over but those of us with a bit more personality like to eat different things once in a while.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

So what is everyone's favorite cut of steak?

I like Sirloin and Ribeye.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        So what is everyone's favorite cut of steak?

I like Sirloin and Ribeye.
        I used to prefer Ribeye, but am really trying to avoid fat, and it just seems like there's an awful lot of waste if you're eating the steak, trying to cut around the fat. The fat is GREAT, of course, for the "marbling" effect of giving the steak a great flavor, but when you consider the cost per pound, THEN consider what you waste, it's a little pricey.

My NEXT favorite was Sirloin, but I can't seem to find a consistently tender sirloin -- sometimes it can be a bit tough, even marinated.

I think my NEW BSF* is NY Strip -- it seems to have less fat, and I have had better luck finding consistently tender cuts even at Kroger.

*Best Steak Forever
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I like Sirloin. And here when ya live Reallly close to Nebraska......we buy local
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            I like Sirloin. And here when ya live Reallly close to Nebraska......we buy local
            Interesting -- I buy local, too, and I live in Texas. But sometimes, I just go to the 'back yard' to get a good steak.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I used to prefer Ribeye, but am really trying to avoid fat, and it just seems like there's an awful lot of waste if you're eating the steak, trying to cut around the fat. The fat is GREAT, of course, for the "marbling" effect of giving the steak a great flavor, but when you consider the cost per pound, THEN consider what you waste, it's a little pricey.

My NEXT favorite was Sirloin, but I can't seem to find a consistently tender sirloin -- sometimes it can be a bit tough, even marinated.

I think my NEW BSF* is NY Strip -- it seems to have less fat, and I have had better luck finding consistently tender cuts even at Kroger.

*Best Steak Forever
              I will give it a try next time. I agree with you on the sirloin. sometimes you get a cut that melts in your mouth, other times it is like eating the sole of a shoe.

You mean you don't raise your own beef cattle, CP?

Comment

I will give it a try next time. I agree with you on the sirloin. sometimes you get a cut that melts in your mouth, other times it is like eating the sole of a shoe.
                Yeah, I've had better results with NY Strip.. I just have to get past the "NY" part.

See previous post.
                But sometimes, I just go to the 'back yard' to get a good steak.

Comment

We had to cut the herd WAY BACK a few years ago when the drought was hitting us really hard, and hay became so dadgum expensive. Sold off a lot of beef for some pretty lousy prices.

Right now, I'm pretty much at the minimum required by law to maintain my grazing exemptions.

Comment

Yeah, I've had better results with NY Strip.. I just have to get past the "NY" part.

See previous post.
                    I think with sirloin, a lot of time it is the way you cook it. Most steak experts say you are supposed to sear steak at really high temps and then cook it pretty fast on high heat. For me, when I do that with sirloin, it seems to make it tougher. If I sear it a little on each side, then cook it fairly slow on about medium heat, it seems to come out more tender.

Comment

We had to cut the herd WAY BACK a few years ago when the drought was hitting us really hard, and hay became so dadgum expensive. Sold off a lot of beef for some pretty lousy prices.

Right now, I'm pretty much at the minimum required by law to maintain my grazing exemptions.
                      How many do you have?

Comment

I think with sirloin, a lot of time it is the way you cook it. Most steak experts say you are supposed to sear steak at really high temps and then cook it pretty fast on high heat. For me, when I do that with sirloin, it seems to make it tougher. If I sear it a little on each side, then cook it fairly slow on about medium heat, it seems to come out more tender.
                        Yeah, when I do sirloin on the grill, I pile all my charcoal to one side so I have a good "hot zone", and I can move the steaks over to the cooler side if, for example, somebody wants theirs medium well and somebody else wants them rare or medium rare.

I have also experimented with letting them "warm up" on the "cooler" side of the grill for about 20 minutes, THEN moving them over to the "hot zone" for that sear and sizzle.
                        Last edited by Cow Poke; 04-29-2014, 08:07 AM.

Comment

How many do you have?
                          We try to keep it right at 40 for now. Maybe when I fully retire, we'll go the max.

Comment

Just to be clear, it's not so much an "exemption" as it is a lowering of valuation -- the same tax rates still apply, but on a lower value. In Texas, if I were to sell that land, all of the "back taxes" on the actual appraised value become due and payable.

We found some land in Victoria Texas (when I was with the Gas Compression company) where we wanted to build an area office, and the land was REALLY "priced to sell". Then I found out why -- it had been valued as "grazing land", and would be reclassified as commercial property, so we would have had to pay the "back taxes" for the previous 7 years. It made the deal WAY too expensive.

Comment

You do know that another name for a New York strip is a Kansas City strip don't you? Another name is the Top Loin.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

We just call it strip loin, and it is our preferred cut.

Alberta beef, all the way.
                                Last edited by mossrose; 04-30-2014, 12:33 AM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment