Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's true colors ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Jim, you're one of the smartest people I've ever met, and you're smart enough to grasp the concept that "doing more important things" does not equal "ignoring the sins of Trump". I fully expect that kind of argument from Charles.

We all have limited time on the planet, and there are hundreds of thousands of people with far more power and influence than I have dedicated to the task of taking down Trump. That I'm not jumping up and down pitching hissies about his conduct does not in any way indicate I'm ignoring his sins, and I certainly don't condone, approve or excuse his conduct. Never have, never will.

Next?
    I think we'll have to just wait for the next real round of discussions to see where this goes.

But I am not sure I know how to respond to being called by really smart and really stupid at the very same time ...

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      I think we'll have to just wait for the next real round of discussions to see where this goes.

But I am not sure I know how to respond to being called by really smart and really stupid at the very same time ...

Jim
      Yeah, I thought about that after I walked away from the computer. I don't think you're "not smart", Jim - I think you're very passionate about this, and, IMOHBAO, you're letting your emotions overrule your reason.

I could have worded that better.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

[...] I don't think you're "not smart", Jim - I think you're very passionate about this, and, IMOHBAO, you're letting your emotions overrule your reason.[...]
        A much bigger problem seems to be that quite many people are letting bad reasons overrule their emotions, empathy and even true reason to some degree.
        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
          A much bigger problem seems to be that quite many people are letting bad reasons overrule their emotions, empathy and even true reason to some degree.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Unchecked empathy is just as big of an issue as not being emphatic enough.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

The fact that you trust the picture of a liar to make your case says quite a lot.
              "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                Unchecked empathy is just as big of an issue as not being emphatic enough.
                It is certainly not the case in the situation in which children are separated from their parents. That is rather just plain and simple wrong and evil.

Comment

The fact that you trust the picture of a liar to make your case says quite a lot.
                  The fact that you got suckered into thinking that was a real post says even more.

Comment

The fact that you got suckered into thinking that was a real post says even more.
                    Since there was nothing else to adress the point I had to go for the crap you provided to avoid confronting yourself with my point. You missed the opportunity to provide something of substance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                      Since there was nothing else to adress ...
                      You missed an 'd' there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        You missed an 'd' there.
                        "an 'd'"?

Comment

"an 'd'"?
                          Yeah, I mistakenly typed "An 's'..." then realized you missed the 'd', and forgot to change the article....

Neither am I a Obama supporter...
                          "a Obama supporter"????

Comment

It is certainly not the case in the situation in which children are separated from their parents. That is rather just plain and simple wrong and evil.
                            Perhaps their parents should not have broken the law, Charles. Children are not separated from their parents for specious reasons. Perhaps you might care to address that.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              Perhaps their parents should not have broken the law, Charles. Children are not separated from their parents for specious reasons. Perhaps you might care to address that.
                              I have talked about that before. I don't see any justification for a policy that causes children to suffer so much psychological pain based on the wrongdoing of their parents. And even if you want to hold the parents accountable there is no excuse for not being able to reunite the children with their parents, not making absolutely certain that of course you are able to do that. So even if the parents are guilty to some extent, that is no excuse for the absurdities and inhuman practices. And it should not take focus away from the fact that innocent children pay the highest price.

Comment

I have talked about that before. I don't see any justification for a policy that causes children to suffer so much psychological pain based on the wrongdoing of their parents. And even if you want to hold the parents accountable there is no excuse for not being able to reunite the children with their parents, not making absolutely certain that of course you are able to do that. So even if the parents are guilty to some extent, that is no excuse for the absurdities and inhuman practices. And it should not take focus away from the fact that innocent children pay the highest price.
                                What do you think we should do instead?

a) The law be damned, let the parents into the country
                                b) Send the kids to prison with their parents
                                c) Return them to Mexico post haste, judicial process be damned

Yes, kids, if separated, should be able to be reunited with their parents as soon as possible. If the parents left voluntarily without their children, as has happened in many cases, what then? Would you at least consider assigning the parents some blame?

It is terrible that children get misplaced. It is, however, absurd to blame that on Trump, who doesn't know these children from Adam. The government should not be involved in child care, among many other things; it is inefficient and generally sloppy.
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment