Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's true colors ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I've underestimated how much you're willing to compromise your own integrity by leveling false accusations against our duly elected president and then refusing to substantiate your claims when asked.
    I answered and clarified what I meant and admitted it was a poor choice of words. When will you admit that what Trump has done to Sessions is despicable and undermines one of the fundamental elements critical to the success of this country - the rule of law.

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      No, actually they don't. You people like to banter TDS around, but you have this obsessive fear of one of the most important elements of our democracy: The Free Press. And that fear is essentially allowing you to live in a bubble and you just are not getting a good view of what is happening. Heck, even when you look you don't want to see. You think every story, every event has been cast and chosen to create a false picture of what is 'really' going on. And this paranoia is the wave Trump has leveraged to manipulate a lot of good people into standing with him.

Cable news is mostly opinion - that is true for Fox and CNN and MSNBC and whatever. But 'the news', the actual articles written by the reporters out there covering what is happening are for the most part written by professionals. Professionals working under certain ideals designed to create unbiased reporting. And we have access to multiple writers on every topic. I am generally impressed when I read those articles by how they try to present multiple sides of the story, and how they report even what is detrimental to what may well be their personal opinion.

At the same time, I am not blind to the biases of the various media sources, and no-one, no matter how hard they try, can truly be unbiased. But all one really needs to do is broaden one's scope and read articles from multiple opposing potential biases to get a clearer picture of how the facts can be viewed from different perspectives.

But no, I am officially pushing back on that line. That line is Trump fed and ignorance base paranoia. The media does not 'lie for a living'. These reporters go to extreme lengths to bring us information about the world that is as honest and as unbiased as they can make it. Sometimes they literally risk their lives and put themselves in the middle of extremely hostile situations to make sure we can have that information. And they do not deserve to be painted the way conservatives in this country paint them.

Jim
      And yet they falsely accused a women of mixed Jewish and Mexican heritage of giving a white nationalist sign. Close those eyes and stick your fingers in your ears all you want Jim, but the evidence of their lies and false accusations is as plain as day. See Jim, I have a fear of a press that lies about its opponents and is a mouthpiece of one side. Yet you choose to ignore my examples of media lies against an innocent women and an honest man and choose instead to level a false accusation at me. Yep, you are suffering from an acute case of TDS and it’s as plain as the nose on your face. Denial will not make it go away.
      Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 09-05-2018, 10:20 PM.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I answered and clarified what I meant and admitted it was a poor choice of words. When will you admit that what Trump has done to Sessions is despicable and undermines one of the fundamental elements critical to the success of this country - the rule of law.

Jim
        I did that, but I'm still the enemy.

You're crashing and burning, Jim. It's truly sad to watch.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I did that, but I'm still the enemy.

You're crashing and burning*, Jim. It's truly sad to watch.
          No - you are not the enemy CP. Of all the ones pushing back against me in this thread, you are the one that seems most fair, and I'm trying very hard to acknowledge that, but you are not getting it and/or I am not communicating that element very well.

Jim

* and I would not call being burned for speaking out against Trumps excess 'crashing an burning' CP. You try going against everyone else's opinion in a very hostile crowd and see how well you are able to make sure you anticipate every single way your words can be reinterpreted and used against you. It basically impossible. But I am trying to hear and respond to each as honestly as I can, even though it is a one way effort for the most part.
          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 09-05-2018, 10:32 PM.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

No - you are not the enemy CP. Of all the players here, you are the one that seems most fair, and I'm trying very hard to acknowledge that, but you are not getting it.

Jim
            On that note, I bow out.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The problem with some of these posts is I put them up too quickly and don't think carefully enough about how many different ways the lot of you will try to divert from the actual point being made. And I'm not taking enough time to make sure my choice of words actually conveys the sometimes complex concepts I'm trying to pinpoint. And I will apologize for that.

But I also have seriously underestimated how much each of you is willing to compromise your own integrity to defend this guy. I still am amazed at the turns you take, the actions you work overtime to defend. So excuse me for reacting poorly and not thinking clearly while in a state of actual shock.

I must realize your commitment to Trump is absolute, and that every technical slip will become an excuse to dismiss the larger point. I will post less and take more time and perhaps I can plug more potential holes and give you guys less room to justify the unjustifiable.

---

Trump asked Sessions not to indict two people that are the target of serious investigations for breaking serious laws because they supported Him and are member of the GOP.

He did it publicly. He clearly thinks Sessions loyalty should be to him and not the Department of Justice. Not to the rule of law. Not to the country he swore to defend and work for.

Trump has turned viciously on someone who has stood by him from the beginning of his candidacy because he has principles, and he has Turned on him because he did not put Trump before country, before his principles and commitment.

Sessions is not a liberal. Far from it. Sessions is a religious man with real faith. Sessions is everything you should be willing to defend, thus the typical paradox you find yourselves in between the immorality of the left vs the immorality of Trump should not exist.

I was hopeful that would be bad enough you would actually be offended by that. That you could begin to see the 'true colors' of this person that is now leading this country.

Clearly it was not.

Jim
              Sadly, you are very wrong about my devotion to Trump...or lack there of. I actively campaigned against Trump in the Primary's and almost literally held my nose when I voted for him. I saved that vote for last and almost went 3rd party knowing Trump would most likely carry Texas anyway. However, I've seen a lot of presidents come and go, and though Trump seems to be sub par, he's not drastically so as you seem to make it out. You claim you never made any political posts before Trump. One has to wonder why. Most likely it's because you agreed with him and his policies and saw no reason to...didn't even occur to you to complain about the way he treated the media, banning not just a reporter...but the WHOLE NETWORK. I say that not to point out him-too-isms, but to point to the hypocrisy of many on the left in general and you in particular. Trump isn't a politician, so he doesn't act like one...but maybe part of the problem in Washington is too MANY politicians are sent there.

I didn't really get into the discussions about Obama either, not because I agreed with him but because for the same reason I don't do so much on Trump. I'm not a chicken little and I don't expect the sky to fall. We have laws, they will ultimately be enforced and, America will continue on. It will survive Trump, just as it did Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush Sr. Clinton, Bush Jr, and Obama.

There's a reason one of my favorite sayings about politicians is: "How do you know a politician is lying? His lips are moving." I expect it as a matter of course. I don't believe politicians, and I don't believe all media either. Everyone has a bias. Yours is showing big time.

When you make statements like POTUS is breaking the law, then when called on it, walk it back to say well, I really meant undermining the "rule of law" instead, then your credibility goes out the window. It's statements like this you make continually that cause those of us in the middle to say, "yeah, just another TDS guy with an ax to grind", which gets a big yawn from us...sorry but if you want us to take you seriously, then stop the histrionics and discuss civilly.
              Last edited by Littlejoe; 09-05-2018, 11:56 PM.
              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

No. In this case Trumps true colors refers to his status as

1) a lawbreaker. He is demanding Sessions break the law and scuttle a legitimate indictment for real crimes as a political favor to Trump
                2) a betrayer. Sessions was one of Trump's most vigorous supporters and now because Sessions won't break the law or compromise his position at the DOJ, he has completely turned on him.
                3) an enemy of America: America is a country who greatness is partly rooted in the principle: No man is above the law. Trump willingly demands the law be broken for him or his supporters. He is openly demanding he or those he prefers be above the law.

Jim
                Pull your head out of your colon and take a deep breath, nut.

If this is what you're frothing about --

"Two long running, Obama era, investigations of two very popular Republican Congressmen were brought to a well publicized charge, just ahead of the Mid-Terms, by the Jeff Sessions Justice Department. Two easy wins now in doubt because there is not enough time. Good job Jeff......"

-- there was no "demand" there to "scuttle" or anything else. There was a strong complaint about the *timing* of the indictment.

It was silly and inappropriate, and he really should keep his complaints about Sessions' obvious general fecklessness between the two of them. But it was not remotely dangerous to the "rule of law," or any such thing.
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                  And yet they falsely accused a women of mixed Jewish and Mexican heritage of giving a white nationalist sign. Close those eyes and stick your fingers in your ears all you want Jim, but the evidence of their lies and false accusations is as plain as day. See Jim, I have a fear of a press that lies about its opponents and is a mouthpiece of one side. Yet you choose to ignore my examples of media lies against an innocent women and an honest man and choose instead to level a false accusation at me. Yep, you are suffering from an acute case of TDS and it’s as plain as the nose on your face. Denial will not make it go away.
                  I'm not ignoring anything pix. I'm pushing back against your generalized accusation that aligns with Trump's ridiculous "Fake New" mantra where the only thing fake most of the time are Trump's claims.

I am fully aware that there are biases and mistakes made. But they are not the hounds of hell you make them out to be. They do not lie at every turn like Donald Trump and his mouthpieces. And most of the time what is written by the reporters is accurate. But if 10,000 articles are written a week, and 10 are biased or untruthful, you will post 10 links as examples and tell me "see how biased they are". The reality (in that example) would be that 99.9% of what is reported would be accurate.

In scientific terms, the approach here is called 'cherry picking'.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    I don't think it's so much that Sessions is doing his job, but that he's doing it in what appears to be a selective manner. Where are the investigations and indictments for the intelligence abuses perpetrated by the Obama administration? There's plenty of evidence. The House Intelligence Memo was a bombshell, as was the Inspector General Report. Sessions supposedly already has a man in Utah, far outside the reach of Washington influence, but we haven't a heard another peep about him for months. What's the status? Is there still an active investigation?
                    Who'd of guessed that MM would be the first to jump to the defense of his favorite autocrat. What do you think that Sessions is a liberal all of a sudden? Besides that "doofus", that was not Trumps complaint, his complaint was that Sessions is indicting 2 republicans reps just prior to the midterms. Is there anything for which you would not defend Trump? How about if he shot someone on 5th ave in broad daylight?

Comment

I'm not ignoring anything pix. I'm pushing back against your generalized accusation that aligns with Trump's ridiculous "Fake New" mantra where the only thing fake most of the time are Trump's claims.
                      And yet we’ve seen the media make false or unsupported accusations and spend time on these and bringing doubts on their ability to to their jobs. See latest co-op piece they are drilling over, it’s filled with unverified accusations that basically support the idea that part of the government is working to undermine the Trump adminstration.’

I am fully aware that there are biases and mistakes made. But they are not the hounds of hell you make them out to be. They do not lie at every turn like Donald Trump and his mouthpieces. And most of the time what is written by the reporters is accurate. But if 10,000 articles are written a week, and 10 are biased or untruthful, you will post 10 links as examples and tell me "see how biased they are". The reality (in that example) would be that 99.9% of what is reported would be accurate.
                      You mean like publishing an unverified dozer that was filled with unverified and false accusations? See if it was a rare thing, whatever, mistakes happen, but it often seems to be a regular occurrence that the media buzzes about something only to see the story turn into no issue or shown to be blown way up. Please though, support your claim because I seem to find reporting to be filled with exaggerated stories or even flat out lies, with maybe 30-50% accuracy. Sometimes even less.

In scientific terms, the approach here is called 'cherry picking'.
                      The phrase you’re looking for is ‘confirmation biasness’ and you have it bad.
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                        Who'd of guessed that MM would be the first to jump to the defense of his favorite autocrat. What do you think that Sessions is a liberal all of a sudden? Besides that "doofus", that was not Trumps complaint, his complaint was that Sessions is indicting 2 republicans reps just prior to the midterms. Is there anything for which you would not defend Trump? How about if he shot someone on 5th ave in broad daylight?
                        And the award for Biggest Pile of Burning Straw goes to...
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                          Do you think rhetoric like this (against fellow Christians, and which you've been using frequently) is helpful?

ETA: I've thought now and again about posting on some of these Trump threads, but part of the reason I haven't is the amount of character questioning and "oh, so you worship Trump, do you?" that inevitably follows.
                          I've been repeatedly called "idiot" and worse by fellow Christians on this site for my political opinions, more times than I could count, and by numerous Christian posters, but nobody ever said anything. I get the impression that it's only worth bringing up when it's about Trump.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            I've been repeatedly called "idiot" and worse by fellow Christians on this site for my political opinions, more times than I could count, and by numerous Christian posters, but nobody ever said anything. I get the impression that it's only worth bringing up when it's about Trump.
                            We can or at least should agree to disagree when it comes to politics.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm mostly taking issue with the broad-brushing, but if you're trying to say that I'm inconsistent in this...you might be right. I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence.
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Why would you get that impression? I don't recall, e.g., that your Christianity has been repeatedly called into question, as has been the case here. I don't exhaustively read Civics, however, so it's possible I've missed the worst of what's been said about you.
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment