If I Had My Life to Live Over Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    My Dad REPEATEDLY told us kids (all 9 of us).....

"There are some jobs that pay a lot of money, but you hate going to work (he'd hold out his right hand like he's telling you how big the fish was that got away) and there are some jobs that don't pay much, but you love going to work (left hand equally out as far the other way) and you want to be somewhere in HERE (he'd indicate somewhere near the "love going to work" range)"

It was great advice, and God blessed me by giving me jobs I loved AND paid really good. But if it was an either/or, I'd rather love going to work and getting less pay (like when I was a cop) than earning a lot of money and hating my job (like when I worked at FoMoCo)
    Yeah, you just don't want to go too far into the "fun" jobs that don't pay enough to live on. Like I wanted to be an artist, but I realized that sitting around making paintings all day isn't going to put food on the table, so I decided to go into graphic design. And electronics (computers) so that's how I ended up doing websites and graphics and all that.

Comment

I would have realized the importance of putting money in an retirement account a lot earlier, and left it alone.

As old man Wainright's German war bride used to say.... "Too soon old, too late schmart!"
      Amen to that. I waited way too long to start saving for retirement. I had a nice 401K at my first job but I didn't put much in other than what the company matched (4%) - then when I lost that job, I was unemployed for a while and took some of the 401K out for living money and paid a hefty fine on that. If I had left it alone, even though it wasn't that much (about $14K) it would probably be worth quite a bit now (it was 28 years ago) - after that I was employed at a place without a 401k plan for a while, then I finally started a nice job about 10 years ago with a good 401K and profit sharing plan. I am now playing catch-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Amen to that. I waited way too long to start saving for retirement. I had a nice 401K at my first job but I didn't put much in other than what the company matched (4%) - then when I lost that job, I was unemployed for a while and took some of the 401K out for living money and paid a hefty fine on that. If I had left it alone, even though it wasn't that much (about $14K) it would probably be worth quite a bit now (it was 28 years ago) - after that I was employed at a place without a 401k plan for a while, then I finally started a nice job about 10 years ago with a good 401K and profit sharing plan. I am now playing catch-up.
        I'm just not going to retire...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Yeah, you just don't want to go too far into the "fun" jobs that don't pay enough to live on. Like I wanted to be an artist, but I realized that sitting around making paintings all day isn't going to put food on the table, so I decided to go into graphic design. And electronics (computers) so that's how I ended up doing websites and graphics and all that.
          I would probably still be a cop today if it wasn't such a NON-family job. Most of the cops I knew were either on a second or third marriage, were alcoholics, were divorced or separated..... and today's climate for cops is a THOUSAND times worse than when I was in it.

And it just BARELY paid the bills.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I would probably still be a cop today if it wasn't such a NON-family job. Most of the cops I knew were either on a second or third marriage, were alcoholics, were divorced or separated..... and today's climate for cops is a THOUSAND times worse than when I was in it.

And it just BARELY paid the bills.
            My brother didn't have too much problems family wise. But he worked on a small police force in a small town. The only problem was when he was on night shift. But even that sort of worked out for them, because he would be home during the day while his wife worked and they saved on childcare after school.

Comment

During the 10 years I worked for the gas compression company, they matched 100% up to 6%, and I maxed it out every single year, because I knew I had to play "catch-up". In fact, there was a "catch-up" allowance that I maxed out, as well. If it weren't for that, I'd not be in very good shape right now for retirement.

In addition, during my last year with them, they called me in and gave me a bunch of company stock as LTIP, vested over three years. A month later, they called me in and told me they could do my job from San Antonio, and wouldn't be needing me anymore. The neat thing about that was that the LTIP accelerated to 100% vested immediately, since it was not my choice to leave that company.

On the way home from getting that news, I had "something inside me" saying "sell that stock now", so I stopped by a broker, opened an account, and moved all that money to other sources. THE NEXT DAY, their stock fell 27%, and hasn't quite recovered to this day.

Besides that, I've been maxing out my 403(b) (ministerial account) and was able to move all the aforementioned money into it, so I'm doing pretty well with that.

HOWEVER, I would be in FANTASTIC condition if I had left my police retirement account money alone, and not done like you --- took it out because I was broke, even having to pay a hefty penalty for that.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My brother didn't have too much problems family wise. But he worked on a small police force in a small town. The only problem was when he was on night shift. But even that sort of worked out for them, because he would be home during the day while his wife worked and they saved on childcare after school.
                I think it's a matter of "company culture", and different police departments and jurisdictions have different cultures. The one where I'm now serving as police chaplain has a much higher 'value system' and doesn't seem to have the "good ol' boy" problems I dealt with many years ago.

Comment

GOTTA share this true story.....

About 30 years ago, "Old Man Wilson" was in Church on his 95th birthday. It wasn't very 'normal' back then for men that old to still be in good shape.

I was youth pastor, and was in charge of doing the announcements and stuff, so during that time, I asked Mr Wilson to please stand, as we wanted to recognize him for his 95th birthday, and his faithfulness to his Church.
                  He stood, everybody applauded, then the Pastor stepped over beside me at the podium, and leaned into the microphone, and said....

"Brother Charlie - what advice would you give to the people here... if you had your life to live over again, what would you change?

He cleared his throat, and said, "Well, um... I think I would... do less for God."

There were a few audible gasps and shocked looks on peoples' faces, then he continued.... "And I'd let God do more through me".

Amen!

Comment

I would have majored in something completely different with the eye of going to law school. I could have financially made it work easily at the time.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I think it's a matter of "company culture", and different police departments and jurisdictions have different cultures. The one where I'm now serving as police chaplain has a much higher 'value system' and doesn't seem to have the "good ol' boy" problems I dealt with many years ago.
                      yeah my brother's first department had the good old boy problem and he was the odd man out. He wouldn't go along with their schemes. They would "borrow" stuff from the police evidence lockup and do all sorts of shady things. They eventually managed to pin a false infraction on my brother and laid him off. He stopped a guy who was driving down the road with a gun threatening to kill himself. He even called 911 and told them what he was doing. My brother stopped him, talked him down, got the gun and then sent him to the hospital under MP custody (he was a army guy near a base) - his captain said he should have sent him to the jail instead of the hospital. But they would not take someone who was suicidal at the jail, they would have sent him to a hospital too. Yet they used that reason to lay my brother off. He eventually became a police captain at a different town. His former police captain ended up being fired about a year later and couldn't get a job anywhere because of his reputation.

Comment

If i lived my life over again. That is a hard one. I want to say i would fix things that went wrong in my life, but i think i would only make things worse.
                        sigpic

Comment