Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Etymological vs phonetic objectionability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etymological vs phonetic objectionability

The DeSantis thread got me thinking: what is your opinion on the word "niggardly"? It's an adjective meaning stingy, not generous, etc. AFAICT, it has no etymological relationship whatsoever to you-know-what, but the phonetic similarity is obvious.

I tend to like obscure words with specific meanings; not that I get the chance to use them that often, but I think they're neat. Words like "accoutrements" and "dingus" (no, it's not an insult). But for obvious reasons, I'd be hesitant in using "niggardly."

Should a case like this, where purely phonetic similarity could get somebody in trouble, dictate the non-usage of the word?
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    The DeSantis thread got me thinking: what is your opinion on the word "niggardly"? It's an adjective meaning stingy, not generous, etc. AFAICT, it has no etymological relationship whatsoever to you-know-what, but the phonetic similarity is obvious.

I tend to like obscure words with specific meanings; not that I get the chance to use them that often, but I think they're neat. Words like "accoutrements" and "dingus" (no, it's not an insult). But for obvious reasons, I'd be hesitant in using "niggardly."

Should a case like this, where purely phonetic similarity could get somebody in trouble, dictate the non-usage of the word?
    Like this?

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A white aide to Washington Mayor Anthony Williams who resigned after using the word "niggardly" in a conversation will be returning to city government, ending a flap over what critics derided as political correctness run amok.

On Thursday, saying he acted "too hastily" in accepting David Howard's resignation, Williams offered Howard his job back as director of the Office of the Public Advocate. Howard agreed to come back to city government, but he has asked the mayor to find him a different job

http://www.cnn.com/US/9902/04/dc.word.flap/
    Senator Under Fire For Saying "Niggardly"

https://www.webpronews.com/senator-says-niggardly/
    Last edited by seer; 09-04-2018, 02:27 PM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Know your audience. If your goal is to be persuasive--like a politician on campaign or supporting a policy--then it's counter productive to use a potentially inflammatory word, even if other people are mistaken in how they interpret your usage.
      "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
      Hear my cry, hear my shout,
      Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
        Know your audience. If your goal is to be persuasive--like a politician on campaign or supporting a policy--then it's counter productive to use a potentially inflammatory word, even if other people are mistaken in how they interpret your usage.
        I guess we must accommodate stupidity...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

What I posted 3 years ago:
          Originally posted by rogue06
          Keep in mind that we live in a society where Stephanie Bell, a North Carolina 4th Grade school teacher was been formally reprimanded with a letter added to her file, sent to mandatory Sensitivity Training, and required to apologize to her students and their parents for daring to say the word “niggardly” in front of the class back in 2002. She had to further promise to never use the word, which means stingy and tight-fisted[1], after several parents complained that it "sounded like" the infamous "N-word."

Of course this should come of no surprise to those familiar with the case of David Howard, an aide to then Washington D.C. mayor Anthony A. Williams, who was forced to resign in 1999 after a colleague objected to his use of the word niggardly in reference to a budget (he later returned to city hall in a different job).

And more recently, in 2009, a California High School history teacher, Dennis Boaz, was publicly accused of racism by the Mendocino County Office of Education for using the term.

Yeah, I know. Poop Deck. Perhaps too serious.

1. According to the font of all knowledge, Wikipedia, the word can be traced back at least to the Middle English word nigon, which has the same meaning, and is perhaps related to the Old Norse verb nigla, which means "to fuss about small matters." Damn those racist Vikings.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I think the answer to that is pretty obvious. Phonetic similarity shouldn't dictate the non-usage, or appropriateness of a word, but unfortunately should does not equate to does.

Comment

I wouldn't risk my job using it when "stingy" has the same effect. Right or wrong, it's not worth it.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I intend to actively seek opportunities to use "niggardly" and "snigger."
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Because we have so many incredibly ignorant people in the US, the use of "niggardly" should be avoided like the plague.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                    Yeah, pretty much.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Setting aside phonetic similarities for a moment, an inherent problem with the word "niggard" is the fact it's so uncommon that most people won't recognize it and will have to ask what it means. It falls into the same category as defenestrate where it's so rarely used that the only real reason to ever use it is just to try to make a joke about how little known it is. Other than that, why use it over any of the various instantly recognizable synonyms that get the point across just fine? (e.g. miser or miserly)

And while it's not that big of an issue in text, when speaking aloud there's the rather legitimate problem that someone can mishear you. So generally speaking, the best-case scenario is someone doesn't know what the word is and you have to waste time explaining it, with the worst-case scenario is someone mishearing you and thinking you're being highly offensive. Neither is preferred, so why use it at all?

Comment

I remember when Al Gore was debating George Bush. He always referred to Bush's plans as a "scheme". Etymologically correct, but the implication was obvious.
                        When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                          Setting aside phonetic similarities for a moment, an inherent problem with the word "niggard" is the fact it's so uncommon that most people won't recognize it and will have to ask what it means. It falls into the same category as defenestrate where it's so rarely used that the only real reason to ever use it is just to try to make a joke about how little known it is. Other than that, why use it over any of the various instantly recognizable synonyms that get the point across just fine? (e.g. miser or miserly)

And while it's not that big of an issue in text, when speaking aloud there's the rather legitimate problem that someone can mishear you. So generally speaking, the best-case scenario is someone doesn't know what the word is and you have to waste time explaining it, with the worst-case scenario is someone mishearing you and thinking you're being highly offensive. Neither is preferred, so why use it at all?
                          Hey! Defenestrate is one of my favorite obscure words.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                            Mine also too!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              Eschew Obfuscation!!!

Comment