Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Etymological vs phonetic objectionability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Agreed. But remembered for what?
    For what you want them to remember. The most effective mnemonics are those that are utterly cringe-worthy. The most memorable music is the ear-worms you can't get out of your head. Reliable memory can be achieved by association with something you want to forget, but can't.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

I feel sorry for this guy...

Comment

You're suggesting that we PLAN on using a particular phrase, rather than "when it just happens". Not the same thing.

TRUE STORY... I was preaching once on "But GOD!"... a number of places where there were bad things happened, or were about to happen, "But GOD...." intervened, etc....
        After giving several examples, I got to Acts 13:29 - And when they had fulfilled all that was written of him, they took him down from the tree, and laid him in a sepulchre

- and I paused, letting that hang in the air a minute.

Then I smiled, and asked, "do you smell a 'but' coming?" Right away, I realized what I had said, so I rushed on, but couldn't help but notice my wife and daughter in the second pew giggling under their breaths.

I would never have PLANNED on using that phrase in a sermon, but it happened.
        As I read the opening pages of this thread. The "Plan" was to go find opportunities to use 'niggardly' as a sort of aggressive education plan on what the word really means as opposed to how it would be interpreted in an more ignorant or 'liberal' context. I don't see that my suggestion was in anyway different from that - beyond the obvious in terms of who is made to feel uncomfortable by the use of the word.

JIm
        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 09-05-2018, 11:17 AM.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          As I read the opening pages of this thread. The "Plan" was to go find opportunities to use 'niggardly' as a sort of aggressive education plan on what the word really means as opposed to how it would be interpreted in an more ignorant or 'liberal' context. I don't see that my suggestion was in anyway different from that - beyond the obvious in terms of who is made to feel uncomfortable by the use of the word.

JIm
          Jim, seriously, are you OK?

You actually think DeSantis PLANNED on making people feel uncomfortable?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The radical left are simply radically dishonest. The people who follow them are being stupid in following there wrong headed arguments.
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

The radical left are simply radically dishonest. The people who follow them are being stupid in following their wrong headed arguments.
              Last edited by 37818; 09-05-2018, 04:01 PM. Reason: The wrong "there" was used for "their"
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

This conversation got me thinking. So here is my suggestion. Since you want to hit out at stupid misunderstandings or misappropriations of words especially as they relate to 'liberal' causes, why don't each of you when you are feeling happy say:

"I'm feeling gay today"

I think that would be a really great addition to your campaign.

Or are you only interested in the challenge when you can offend someone else, as opposed to draw the attention over the misused word to yourselves?

Jim
                I might say something along the lines of "I'm having a Flintstonian gay old time. I'll be gaily bedight, like a gallant knight on his way to El Dorado."
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Jim, seriously, are you OK?

You actually think DeSantis PLANNED on making people feel uncomfortable?
                  This thread is the Etymology thread where the focus was initially on the word "niggardly". A comment was made about intent to go use the word more or less just to ruffle feathers. And a few more comments made lamenting being unable to use the word safely for fear of 'irrational' consequences. That is the line of thought my comment was addressing. I was not saying anything about DeSantis' intent.

a sample of the line of thought I was addressing:

Source: NorrinRadd

I intend to actively seek opportunities to use "niggardly" and "snigger."

© Copyright Original Source

Source: Seer

I guess we must accommodate stupidity...

Source: CP

Because we have so many incredibly ignorant people in the US, the use of "niggardly" should be avoided like the plague.

Jim
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

This thread is the Etymology thread where the focus was initially on the word "niggardly". A comment was made about intent to go use the word more or less just to ruffle feathers. And a few more comments made lamenting being unable to use the word safely for fear of 'irrational' consequences. That is the line of thought my comment was addressing. I was not saying anything about DeSantis' intent.
                    OK, thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know, so I asked.

a sample of the line of thought I was addressing:

Source: NorrinRadd

I intend to actively seek opportunities to use "niggardly" and "snigger."

Source: Seer

I guess we must accommodate stupidity...

Source: CP

Because we have so many incredibly ignorant people in the US, the use of "niggardly" should be avoided like the plague.

Jim
                    And my stance has been clear - I wouldn't purposely use it "for effect" - I'd rather focus on my real message.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This particular word is probably in the process of evaporating from the English language overnight, sort of like how Gaylord and Adolf suddenly stopped being used as first names.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        This particular word is probably in the process of evaporating from the English language overnight, sort of like how Gaylord and Adolf suddenly stopped being used as first names.
                        ...a fact which nobody mourns.
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          A couple decades from now some shrill SJWs will find it in a book and demand it be removed from the bookshelves and only a few librarians will around to try to explain it only to be drowned out by the hysteria.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                            ...a fact which nobody mourns.
                            With the possible exception of the screenwriter of Meet the Parents.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment