Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Book Plunge: The Cult of the Saints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
    Jesus says to Him, all are alive.

It depends again on what being dead and being alive mean.
    29 Jesus answered and said to them, “You are mistaken, not knowing the Scriptures nor the power of God. 30 For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels of God in heaven. 31 But concerning the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was spoken to you by God, saying, 32 ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.”
    Matthew 22:29-32

You're misinterpreting Jesus by ignoring what Jesus said.
    The fact that science cannot make any pronouncement about ethical principles has been misinterpreted as indicating that there are no such principles; while in fact the search for truth presupposes ethics. - Karl Popper, 1987

Comment

Originally posted by Dante View Post
      29 Jesus answered and said to them, “You are mistaken, not knowing the Scriptures nor the power of God. 30 For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels of God in heaven. 31 But concerning the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was spoken to you by God, saying, 32 ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.”

Then why would the verse apply to the saints who have not yet been resurrected?

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
        Then why would the verse apply to the saints who have not yet been resurrected?
        Jesus was addressing the Sadducees who did not believe in the resurrection. The verse shows that there will be a resurrection.
        The fact that science cannot make any pronouncement about ethical principles has been misinterpreted as indicating that there are no such principles; while in fact the search for truth presupposes ethics. - Karl Popper, 1987

Comment

Jesus was addressing the Sadducees who did not believe in the resurrection. The verse shows that there will be a resurrection.
          That doesn't answer my question at all.

Comment

Sure it's such a term, but Mormons swear by it and the capacities the underwear has.
            ...such as?
            We have miracles in all traditions of Christianity and Deuteronom 13 shows us that miracles alone are not enough to substantiate a message.
            How many times must I repeat that we must "test the spirits" before you acknowledge that you're burning a strawman here, Nick? I never said that miracles alone are enough to substantiate a message. At most weekday liturgies in my diocese, the antiphonal refrain, "O Son of God, who are wonderful in your saints, save us who sing to you..." is sung. Miracles wrought through the intercession of saints give glory to God. Do you honestly think satan works that way?
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
              That doesn't answer my question at all.
              Then I'm afraid I must have misunderstood your question. After all, this verse has nothing to do with the intercession of the saints. I am only addressing the context of this verse because Nick brought it up thinking it means that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were said by Jesus to be alive in Christ prior to the death and resurrection of Christ. Not to mention that the Bosom of Abraham is a part of Hades, or Sheol, not heaven.

Comment

Jesus has YHWH speaking in the present tense. At that moment, He is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. He is the God of the living and not of the dead. They would also connect this then to the covenant and the promise of the Land. These saints would come back to receive the fulfillment of the promise, which would actually go out to the whole world.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  ...such as?
                  I was trying to find a story I had read years ago, but I can't because of safe search I have set up on my computer so I can't for now.

How many times must I repeat that we must "test the spirits" before you acknowledge that you're burning a strawman here, Nick? I never said that miracles alone are enough to substantiate a message. At most weekday liturgies in my diocese, the antiphonal refrain, "O Son of God, who are wonderful in your saints, save us who sing to you..." is sung. Miracles wrought through the intercession of saints give glory to God. Do you honestly think satan works that way?
                  All said was miracles alone are not enough to substantiate truth. Could God truly heal some at tombs of saints and such? Yes. Is it the tomb that matters or the faith that matters? God I think could freely heal people who go there and even if their doctrine isn't perfect, and none of us have that, still give them a gift of grace.

Comment

Jesus has YHWH speaking in the present tense. At that moment, He is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. He is the God of the living and not of the dead. They would also connect this then to the covenant and the promise of the Land. These saints would come back to receive the fulfillment of the promise, which would actually go out to the whole world.
                    I don't think "at that moment" applies to God since God is outside of time.

Comment

I was trying to find a story I had read years ago, but I can't because of safe search I have set up on my computer so I can't for now.
                      I trust you understand that doesn't help me much.
                      [quote]
                      All said was miracles alone are not enough to substantiate truth. [/quot]e
                      Where did I say they were?
                      Could God truly heal some at tombs of saints and such? Yes. Is it the tomb that matters or the faith that matters? God I think could freely heal people who go there and even if their doctrine isn't perfect, and none of us have that, still give them a gift of grace.
                      Primarily faith, but I think sometimes God works miracles to engender faith. I know of a Muslim who believed after miraculous healing (where moments before he had been raging that an icon was blasphemous to Allah). I also know of a pagan teen who was healed of a disfiguring scar overnight (I understand it was her first time in a church), after which she became a Christian. I wish you could go see the streaming icon through which these (and countless other) miracles have been wrought, to inspect it for yourself. My bishop, who was a biologist for 20 years before becoming a priest, could find no scientific reason for its streaming.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Scripture Verse: 2 Kings 13:20-21

20 Then Elisha died, and they buried him. And the raiding bands from Moab invaded the land in the spring of the year. 21 So it was, as they were burying a man, that suddenly they spied a band of raiders; and they put the man in the tomb of Elisha; and when the man was let down and touched the bones of Elisha, he revived and stood on his feet.

© Copyright Original Source

Not so much faith as it is the grace of God that remained in the relics and other physical objects such as icons that matters. I highly doubt that the centurion whose ear got cut off by Peter was healed because of his faith.

Comment