Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Book Plunge: The Cult of the Saints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Plunge: The Cult of the Saints

How did the cult of the saints arise?

Link.

----

What do I think of Peter Brown's book published by University of Chicago Press? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out!

I got Peter Brown's book in an attempt to try to further understand the treatment of saints in church history. How is it that the treatment of the saints that we have today came about? Unfortunately, I don't remember much of Brown's book looking at that.

Brown instead focuses greatly on a kind of two-tiered system. Heaven and Earth were seen as boundary markers and the two were quite separate. This could be a clue still to how the movement came about. It wasn't the saints in Heaven that were often thought to bring the blessings, but rather it was the bodies of the saints on Earth. One would visit the tomb of the saint instead and his body was supposed to bring blessings. (Why else would there be relics that were supposed to be body parts of the saints?)

This could also have come about perhaps from the idea of the need of intermediaries. Jesus can seem too great to approach and obviously, one cannot go to another god since Paul already explained for us that there aren't any. While some Christians prayed to angels, perhaps even they were too great. What about another human mediator? What about the dead saint in Jesus who died? Could we not go to him?

While many of us could quote Scripture on how we can boldly approach the throne of grace and such, that does not mean much if the average layman is not able to read those books. Again, much of this is speculation on my part. Brown doesn't spend much time on this kind of question as he does on the interactions that took place.

There are accounts also of miracles that took place at these locations. These extend to modern times as one can see from reading the work of Craig Keener, but I don't really see this as a proof since many miracles take place in Protestant evangelism. Beyond that, there are also reports of miracles in other religions. It is fine to think the true religion can express itself in miracles, but as the Old Testament even warns, miracles alone are not the sign of the true religion.

Another warning to the reader is that many parts of the book that contain quotations can have those quotations in another language. Sadly at times, these quotations do not come with translations so if you do not speak the language, then you are stuck without knowing what it means. Perhaps you could use a Google Translator or something of that sort, but few of us will take the time to do something like that.

Brown's book is relatively short, but it is packed with scholarship. The content is a little over 100 pages, but the notes section is still quite lengthy which is something I like. I always want to go and see how well the author has interacted with material and constant interaction is a good sign to me.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

There is the often made issue of the priesthood of every believer. But the issue is that every genuine Christian, is a saint by the grace of God. (The Mormon cult calls itself, "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints," claiming to be the restored Church.)
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

The reason why we continue to venerate the relics of the saints is because God's grace continues to remain in their bodies, just as the handkerchiefs and aprons of Paul were able to heal the sick and cast out evil spirits, and the bones of the prophet Elisha were able to raise even the dead.

I'm a bit confused, Nick, as to how you came to speculate about praying to the saints as having a need for intermediaries, as though we Orthodox and even Roman Catholics do not pray directly to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit ourselves. We pray to the saints in addition to praying to God because 1) 'The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much' (James 5:16), and 2) the saints are alive in Christ. You ask another person who is still in this life to intercede on your behalf, do you not? Why then would it be any stranger to ask for the intercession of the saints on our behalf?
      The fact that science cannot make any pronouncement about ethical principles has been misinterpreted as indicating that there are no such principles; while in fact the search for truth presupposes ethics. - Karl Popper, 1987

Comment

Dante. It was the viewpoint I got from Brown.

As it stands, I don't think the idea of "He is the God of the living and not of the dead" works. The angels told asked the women why they seek the living among the dead. Dead means something. To say that the saints are not dead in any sense I think is to deny dead has any meaning. We have one case in Scripture of someone trying to contact someone who is dead to ask them something. It doesn't go well for them. I see nothing in Scripture that indicates contacting the dead.

Comment

That's because the women were expecting a dead body. We're not talking to dead bodies, but those who are now alive with Christ in paradise. We ask them to intercede on our behalf, not to communicate with them or for them to talk to us. Again, we are not petitioning the dead, but those who are now alive in Christ.
          The fact that science cannot make any pronouncement about ethical principles has been misinterpreted as indicating that there are no such principles; while in fact the search for truth presupposes ethics. - Karl Popper, 1987

Comment

The cult of the saints was quite developed by the fourth century (see, e.g., St. John Chrysostom's homilies on saints). I find the allegation that it developed because people were afraid to pray directly to God interesting, because I have yet to see any evidence whatsoever in the source material that anyone thought that. Does Peter Brown provide any?

I also find the Protestant tendency to downplay miracles curious; Jesus' miracles were a rather integral part of his mission. When John the Baptist asked Jesus (through intermediaries) if he was the Christ, what was Jesus' response? Yes, miracles can be counterfeit - which is why we should test the spirits, to see whether they be from God (1 Jn. 4:1); it doesn't mean that every miracle is therefore suspect.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Dante. What does it mean to be dead then?

Also, do you think Samuel was not alive in Christ? If Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were, why not Samuel.

Pig. I don't remember if Brown did or not. As for miracles, I think they could be genuine, but that doesn't prove the doctrines. If so, then we have several miracles occurring in Protestantism as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                Pig. I don't remember if Brown did or not. As for miracles, I think they could be genuine, but that doesn't prove the doctrines. If so, then we have several miracles occurring in Protestantism as well.
                I'd think that a genuine miracle occurring via relics or intercession of saints would prove that such is efficacious, especially with recurring events. I have no idea what that has to do with Protestantism. I agree that Protestants have experienced genuine miracles.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Dante. What does it mean to be dead then?

Also, do you think Samuel was not alive in Christ? If Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were, why not Samuel.
                  In the context of what the angel said to the women, "the dead" refers to dead bodies. What dead means depends on what you mean when you use the word "dead", because to some, especially those who believe in the theory of "soul sleep", those who die will have their souls sleeping until the day of resurrection. Of course, you can say that the parable of the rich man and Lazarus was merely a parable and does not reflect actual theology, but assuming it's an actual situation, it shows that the dead can still intercede for us as well.

How can you say that anyone is alive in Christ prior to the death and resurrection of Christ?

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    I'd think that a genuine miracle occurring via relics or intercession of saints would prove that such is efficacious, especially with recurring events. I have no idea what that has to do with Protestantism. I agree that Protestants have experienced genuine miracles.
                    Would you say the same to those who claim miracles because of, say, the magic underwear of Mormonism?

Comment

Originally posted by Dante View Post
                      In the context of what the angel said to the women, "the dead" refers to dead bodies. What dead means depends on what you mean when you use the word "dead", because to some, especially those who believe in the theory of "soul sleep", those who die will have their souls sleeping until the day of resurrection. Of course, you can say that the parable of the rich man and Lazarus was merely a parable and does not reflect actual theology, but assuming it's an actual situation, it shows that the dead can still intercede for us as well.

How can you say that anyone is alive in Christ prior to the death and resurrection of Christ?
                      How can I?

Well, Jesus didn't have any problem saying that Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were living.

Think I'm in good company.

Comment

How can I?

Well, Jesus didn't have any problem saying that Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were living.

Think I'm in good company.
                        The context of Matthew 22:23-33 is of the resurrection of the dead, not of anyone being alive in Christ. Not especially prior to the death and resurrection of Christ.

Comment

Would you say the same to those who claim miracles because of, say, the magic underwear of Mormonism?
                          I have "tested the spirits" of Mormonism and found it wanting.

I also haven't come across any such alleged miracles, or who gets praised when such alleged miracles occur. Further, as I understand it, calling it "magic underwear" is something of a pejorative, used only by anti-Mormons. You'll have to come up with something more plausible, Nick. You usually argue rather more rigorously than that.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dante View Post
                            The context of Matthew 22:23-33 is of the resurrection of the dead, not of anyone being alive in Christ. Not especially prior to the death and resurrection of Christ.
                            Jesus says to Him, all are alive.

It depends again on what being dead and being alive mean.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              I have "tested the spirits" of Mormonism and found it wanting.

I also haven't come across any such alleged miracles, or who gets praised when such alleged miracles occur. Further, as I understand it, calling it "magic underwear" is something of a pejorative, used only by anti-Mormons. You'll have to come up with something more plausible, Nick. You usually argue rather more rigorously than that.
                              Sure it's such a term, but Mormons swear by it and the capacities the underwear has.

We have miracles in all traditions of Christianity and Deuteronom 13 shows us that miracles alone are not enough to substantiate a message.

Comment