Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Anonymous Op-Ed from the NYT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Your new op-ed said the same thing I did. If this really IS a senior staffer who along with others is acting against the President, then they just tanked their own scheme. Trump will be on the lookout for any such actions now, right?
    First, I didn't see your post. So if you said that, then yes, it's pretty close. The heart of the article is about the constitutional issue, but it also mentions the impact on Trump and the White House staff of having this out in the open.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Which makes me think this is NOT really a Trump staffer, but someone who thinks this would be a good way to sew distrust and paranoia in the Administration.
    I do not share the hatred of the NYT expressed by so many on the right. I have read it for years, find there journalism to be generally spot on, and find that they take action when they fail to meet their own standards, and generally do so publicly. Like any other organization, it is a collection of people and people sometimes make mistakes, and some people intentionally act badly. But as an organization, I find their processes and results reasonably sound. There are many media outlets that cannot make the same claim and do not hold to those journalistic standards.

I find the Op-Ed believable. The NYT's actions in publishing it is unprecedented (as far as I know). But then we live in unique times with a unique problem in the White House. Hopefully, after Mr. Trump has been shown the door, we can return to some degree of normalcy and civility. Personally, I am not enjoying living in a reality TV show.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Last night, this op-ed was published in the Atlantic. After reading it, I find that I am reversing my initial opinion about the anonymous op-ed.
      This is just as bad as the cowardly "anonymous" New York Times piece.

"That op-ed shouldn't have been published because the president is a maniac who is going to be even more paranoid now!"

Whatever, carpe.

But good job letting the liberal media lead you around by the nose. I can't wait until the next cowardly liberal op-ed compels you to reassess your uninformed opinion yet again. I wonder what "Biased Media Fact Check" has to say about this? You better check it out so they can tell you what to think.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Source: Pence, Pompeo, Coats deny penning anonymous op-ed ripping Trump

As Washington entered into a whirlwind round of "Who Dunnit" after the New York Times published an anonymous op-ed Wednesday afternoon detailing a resistance-style effort inside the Trump White House to undermine the president's authority, senior administration officials are now stepping forward to say it wasn't them.

On Thursday during an overseas visit to India, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo denied being the author, telling reporters at an embassy meet-and-greet that it should not be a surprise that a "liberal newspaper" which has "relentlessly attacked" the administration chose to print the opinion piece.

He said that the Times should not have chosen to take the word of a "disgruntled deceptive bad actor" and issued a warning to the person who wrote the piece: "leave."

"I come from a place where if you're not in a position to execute the commander's intent, you have a singular option, that is to leave," Pompeo said.

Meanwhile, Vice President Mike Pence's office also denied the president's number two was behind the piece. Pence's Deputy Chief of Staff Jarrod Agen plainly tweeted that unlike the author in Wednesday's article, the vice president "puts his name on his op-eds."

[...]

Agen added that the Times "should be ashamed and so should the person who wrote the false, illogical, and gutless op-ed. Our office is above such amateur acts."

On Wednesday morning, Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats chimed in with a denial, calling any speculation that he wrote the opinion piece "patently false." Coats has been critical in the past of how Mr. Trump handled the summit with Russian President.

"Speculation that The New York Times op-ed was written by me or my principal deputy is patently false," Coats said in a statement. "We did not. From the beginning of our tenure, we have insisted that the entire IC remain focused on our mission to provide the president and policymakers with the best intelligence possible."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-yor...onymous-piece/

© Copyright Original Source

So, yeah, liberal delusions that it was written by some highly-placed "insider" have gone up in smoke. It's worth pointing out, again, that the title of "senior administration official" could legitimately be claimed by literally hundreds of people in Washington, including many who have very little if any direct interaction with the president.
        In the TDS liberal world, such denials are actually admissions.

Comment

First, I didn't see your post. So if you said that, then yes, it's pretty close. The heart of the article is about the constitutional issue, but it also mentions the impact on Trump and the White House staff of having this out in the open.

I do not share the hatred of the NYT expressed by so many on the right. I have read it for years, find there journalism to be generally spot on, and find that they take action when they fail to meet their own standards, and generally do so publicly. Like any other organization, it is a collection of people and people sometimes make mistakes, and some people intentionally act badly. But as an organization, I find their processes and results reasonably sound. There are many media outlets that cannot make the same claim and do not hold to those journalistic standards.

I find the Op-Ed believable. The NYT's actions in publishing it is unprecedented (as far as I know). But then we live in unique times with a unique problem in the White House. Hopefully, after Mr. Trump has been shown the door, we can return to some degree of normalcy and civility. Personally, I am not enjoying living in a reality TV show.
          The NYT has been caught in lies before. They have no credibility with me.

Question: If people who are hired to work for POTUS are secretly undermining POTUS' leadership, isn't that tantamount to treason? Refusing to obey in open would be one thing and they could do so and leave, but to secretly do it behind his back? Such a person is completely untrustworthy and of low character. He would be worse than Trump ever could be. Why believe anything such a person says?

Oxmix was talking in another thread about "undermining the rule of law" in regards to Trump and Sessions. This is worse. It is basically an undercover coup. Whether you like Trump or not, he is the President.

Comment

I saw this and had to share:

Source: Babylon Bee

The Babylon Bee today is taking the rare step of publishing an anonymous Op-Ed essay. We have done so at the request of the author, a high-level U.S. President whose identity is known to us and whose job would be jeopardized by its disclosure. We believe publishing this essay anonymously is the only way to deliver an important perspective to our readers.

Look how great everything is! It’s tremendous! This administration has the best president ever, and he is making America great again! The economy is huge! We have so many jobs, it’s too many jobs and we’ll need more people. Except we won’t get more people, because he is also closing the border. And no more wars in the Middle East; now all wars will be in space. Trump is delivering on every promise. It’s unbelievable! Everyone loves him!

Some are saying the president is unhinged. This is FAKE NEWS! Maybe even TREASON? The fact is Trump is the hinged-est president ever. Everyone in the administration talks about how great he is and how rich he is and how brain-smart he is and how attractive his wives are, especially the current one.

Maybe some in the administration don’t like Trump because he’s so great they have nothing to do because he does EVERYTHING. Whatever; those people are LOSERS and he doesn’t need them. He only hired them because he felt sorry for them, but it was a MISTAKE. And they keep telling him not to Tweet and don’t write an op-ed without them seeing it first. SHUT UP! The smartest president ever knows what he’s doing!

Well, I need to finish up since Fox & Friends is coming on. Just know that everything is great in the administration because the president is so great, and ignore all the losers and fake news. Also, if you see the nuclear football, just drop it in any mailbox, and the post office will know who to get it to.

Source
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              I saw this and had to share:

Source: Babylon Bee

The Babylon Bee today is taking the rare step of publishing an anonymous Op-Ed essay. We have done so at the request of the author, a high-level U.S. President whose identity is known to us and whose job would be jeopardized by its disclosure. We believe publishing this essay anonymously is the only way to deliver an important perspective to our readers.

Look how great everything is! It’s tremendous! This administration has the best president ever, and he is making America great again! The economy is huge! We have so many jobs, it’s too many jobs and we’ll need more people. Except we won’t get more people, because he is also closing the border. And no more wars in the Middle East; now all wars will be in space. Trump is delivering on every promise. It’s unbelievable! Everyone loves him!

Some are saying the president is unhinged. This is FAKE NEWS! Maybe even TREASON? The fact is Trump is the hinged-est president ever. Everyone in the administration talks about how great he is and how rich he is and how brain-smart he is and how attractive his wives are, especially the current one.

Maybe some in the administration don’t like Trump because he’s so great they have nothing to do because he does EVERYTHING. Whatever; those people are LOSERS and he doesn’t need them. He only hired them because he felt sorry for them, but it was a MISTAKE. And they keep telling him not to Tweet and don’t write an op-ed without them seeing it first. SHUT UP! The smartest president ever knows what he’s doing!

Well, I need to finish up since Fox & Friends is coming on. Just know that everything is great in the administration because the president is so great, and ignore all the losers and fake news. Also, if you see the nuclear football, just drop it in any mailbox, and the post office will know who to get it to.

Source

Comment

Coincidences can be pretty interesting even if they have no bearing in reality.

The announcement of the book just happened to coincide with the start of hearings on having a constitution-supporting person for the Supreme Court: Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Last night, this op-ed was published in the Atlantic. After reading it, I find that I am reversing my initial opinion about the anonymous op-ed. While I do believe it is genuine (I have no real reason to think otherwise, and the responses from those on the right here are certainly no surprise), I also think it was ill-informed, for all of the reasons the author cites.

But it creates a quandary. Impeaching Trump or applying the 25th Amendment simply makes Pence president. I would not be in favor of that. If the internal situation is as bad as Woodward, the anonymous op-ed, and Trump's own public behavior suggest (which I think is highly likely), the constitutional way to deal with it is as described, leaving a simple choice: continue the unconstitutional internal resistance (apparently by conventional Republicans - not the so-called "deep state") until Trump is replaced in 2020, or take the constitutional avenue and let Pence take over. Unfortunately, the constitutional avenue is highly unlikely to work. I cannot see Trump's cabinet aligning behind the 25th, and I cannot see the House impeaching (unless it changes hands on 11/6) or the Senate convicting (even if both houses change hands).

Still, if we are to defend our constitution - the constitution avenue really is the one that should be taken. I agree with the author of the Atlantic op-ed: the anonymous op-ed has made things worse, and the author should come forward, put his/her name to his story, and take his/her evidence to the proper venue: Congress. Our institutions have done a reasonable job of keeping Trump in check. We have to hope they will continue to do so until January 2021.
                  I do not believe Pence would be worse than Trump, and he is very likely to be a good bit better. As I see it, our best move is to impeach trump and wait out Pence. But then again I am a mostly conservative voter. Trump is the only republican candidate I could not have been convinced to vote for in 2016.

Jim
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    I do not believe Pence would be worse than Trump, and he is very likely to be a good bit better. As I see it, our best move is to impeach trump and wait out Pence. But then again I am a mostly conservative voter. Trump is the only republican candidate I could not have been convinced to vote for in 2016.

Jim
                    I think most of us would rather have Pence. I would have voted for him over Trump if they were running against each other in the last primary.

Comment

Jim
                      I'd vote Pence and wouldn't even have to hold my nose.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I do not believe Pence would be worse than Trump,
                        I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                          I do.
                          Do you even have any proof he actually holds to the position you don't like? I've heard noises from elsewhere that the charge that he supports gay conversion therapy is false, though I haven't looked into it.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

OK, so IF there's really an "inside" "resistance", and they're supposedly working to salvage the government from Trump's destructive forces, why reveal themselves NOW???? Why not continue to work to do what they're claiming to do?

It reminds me of Maxwell Smart's "... would you believe, at THIS VERY MOMENT, an entire company of US Marines is just outside that door ready to come bursting in here......"

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's anonymous to us. The source is presumably known to the NYT, for those who haven't succumbed to Trump's "fake news" mantra. The MSM may lean to the left, but I have seen no evidence they are outright duplicitous.
                              And, no doubt, you trust the NYT.....

President Trump should probably call off the hunt for the “senior official in the...administration" who the New York Times is claiming wrote a damning op-ed for the newspaper.

Apparently the “senior official” claims to be part of a group of White House staff trying to thwart the president’s agenda from within. He also claims they seriously considered trying to depose the president using the 25th amendment of the Constitution.

Serious stuff. But President Trump should relax and remember it is the New York Times after all. The paper has a scandalous history of lying about the seniority of officials it quotes anonymously - especially when that source parrots their agenda.

A few years back they were caught red-handed deceiving their readers in such a way.

source

Comment

And, speaking of the honorable and trustworthy NYT....

NYT 'Bombshell' on Kavanaugh and Roe Is Actually a Dud

Comment