Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Anonymous Op-Ed from the NYT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Hence the statement "conservatives tend to." That is not linguisticly equivalent to "some conservatives," because it suggests a general trend. It is more consistent with "most conservatives," which accurately describes what is happening among conservatives (after all, Trump has an 87% approval rate among Republicans), without making it a blanket statement about all conservatives.

I'm not sure what you're objecting to.
    Carpe, you're using the broadest of indicators to indicate acceptance of something rather specific. I'm guessing you don't have anything more specific to back up your assertion, or you'd use it. Cow Poke's anectodal observation is true of me as well. I'm sure that won't stop you from continuing to tell us what we think, though.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Hence the statement "conservatives tend to."
      SOME conservatives may tend to. Just admit you used too broad a brush, and we can move on.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Obama sure disagreed when it came to leakers in his Administration -- ordering wide spread polygraphs and criminally prosecuting those who were caught.
        Yet another case of whataboutism. I disagree with Obama's position then, and I disagree with it now - and Trump as well.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        I noticed over the weekend that even liberal pundits were questioning just how high up this "senior" official was. Even George Stephanopoulos seemed to mock it, sneering at how "elastic" the term senior was. Bob Woodward, who relies heavily on anonymous sources himself questioned whether the source was senior one as well and chided the New York Times for publishing it without providing any sort of substantiation that he was who he was indeed a senior official. And David Brooks who is a columnist for the New York Times called it "a stupid act."
        I have little/no problem with any of this. I have no idea why the person set out to publish the thing. Knowing there is a group trying to blunt the worst of Trump's tactics is encouraging, but that and $3.50 will get you a coffee at Starbucks.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        But what almost everyone seems to have overlooked is that this little stunt has confirmed to many who had doubts that there really is a "Deep State" who says let the election be damned and are determined to thwart the will of the voters from inside the White House.
        At least according to the author, this has nothing to do with "Deep State." If the person is indeed a "high-ranking" official, they were directly or indirectly put in place by Trump. The OpEd is written as if by a Republican about Republican policies and positions.

One thing strikes me. Eventually, Trump will be out of office and the identify of this person will probably become known. It may happen before then. If the person is actually a high-ranking, Republican, White House staff member, it will reflect well on the NYT and all of the pundits making their comments about "low-level staffer" will have some amount of egg on their faces. On the other hand, if it IS a low-level staffer, the reputation of the NYT will be pretty much destroyed, at least for this boy, and the pundits will be vindicated.

So now we wait....
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• I suspect the author's identity will never be known mostly because this cowardly hit-piece will be forgotten about in the next couple of weeks.

Especially if this happens...
          Last edited by Mountain Man; 09-10-2018, 01:23 PM.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Yet another case of whataboutism.
            mickey.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30873[/ATTACH]
              I find myself curious. Do you really think that is a mature contribution to a discussion...?

To me it looks like trolling...
              Last edited by carpedm9587; 09-10-2018, 05:40 PM.
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I find myself curious. Do you really think that is a mature contribution to a discussion...?

To me it looks like trolling...
                An appropriate reaction to an automatic knee-jerk response that if you look at it wasn't even close to what you would call it. I wasn't defending anyone by saying others did it but rather noting how Obama strenuously disagreed with your statement that "people 'leaking' in any administration is a good thing."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

An appropriate reaction to an automatic knee-jerk response that if you look at it wasn't even close to what you would call it. I wasn't defending anyone by saying others did it but rather noting how Obama strenuously disagreed with your statement that "people 'leaking' in any administration is a good thing."
                  And I noted that I disagreed with both. Don't get me wrong - I'm neither offended or surprised by the trolling. If I had to described my mood around it, it would be "wry amusement." Trolling is business as usual around here and you either deal with it or find another place to be. But I continue to marvel at how people's behavior can shift towards the childish online. I suspect (but obviously can't know) that these are not normal interactions if you were face-to-face with someone. Or perhaps they are...

(I suspect I'm about to get trolled again...so I'll leave the last word to you).
                  Last edited by carpedm9587; 09-11-2018, 05:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Carpe, you're using the broadest of indicators to indicate acceptance of something rather specific.
                    So this sentence had me scratching my head for a while. What exactly are the "broadest of indicators" I'm using and what is the "something rather specific" I am indicating acceptance of?

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    I'm guessing you don't have anything more specific to back up your assertion, or you'd use it.
                    My observation is that Trump's statements are generally accepted and/or defended by conservatives. They are seldom challenged (hence the term "tend"). The wide approval rating, lack of any substantive challenge in any of the right-leaning media, and my personal experience (which is a small data point - acknowledged) are the evidence on which I form this view.

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Cow Poke's anectodal observation is true of me as well. I'm sure that won't stop you from continuing to tell us what we think, though.
                    I haven't told any specific person what they think. I have made a general observation about a group - not particular members OF that group. I specifically used non-superlative language because I am sure there are members of that group that DON'T simply rubber-stamp anything Trump says. It is a broad characteristic of the group. If it doesn't apply to you or CP, then you are part of the minority, IMO.

I still don't see what the fuss is about. You two seem to have taken personally a comment that was about an entire group of people and the tendencies within that group. I think you may be adding things to my post that I did not put there.

Comment

You two seem to have taken personally a comment that was about an entire group of people and the tendencies within that group.
                      Nope, I just get tired of the unnecessary broad brush accusations.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Nope, I just get tired of the unnecessary broad brush accusations.
                        We are in agreement. I will continue to avoid them, as well as the use of superlatives.

Comment

We are in agreement. I will continue to avoid them, as well as the use of superlatives.
                          I think I have a fever.

Comment

I think I have a fever.
                            Take two aspirin and call me in the morning...

Comment

Take two aspirin and call me in the morning...
                              It IS the morning -- what's your phone number?

Comment

It IS the morning -- what's your phone number?
                                802-555-3468

There's a message in that number - if you can find it...

Comment