Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Anonymous Op-Ed from the NYT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Your bias is showing. Here's what you said....

It would have been less inaccurate if you had said "some" conservatives -- I know quite a few conservatives, and only a few of them (online) "think the claims Trump makes about himself are "the real deal," despite all of the evidence to the contrary". None of the conservatives I know IRL think that.

Most of us recognize that, like his predecessor, he's prone to being braggadocious and self aggrandizing, but on a whole 'nuther level.
    Trump is so over-the-top about it, it strikes me as at least partially intended to be comical trollery, kind of like the all-seeing, all-knowing, all-everything Maha Rushie.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

For the record, here is the text of the 25th amendment...

Amendment XXV

Presidential Disability and Succession
      Section 4

Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. Thereupon Congress shall decide the issue, assembling within forty-eight hours for that purpose if not in session. If the Congress, within twenty-one days after receipt of the latter written declaration, or, if Congress is not in session, within twenty-one days after Congress is required to assemble, determines by two-thirds vote of both Houses that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office.

Ok, so if I'm reading this correctly, Pence and 50% + 1 of the Cabinet draft a letter saying, "Trump is unable to serve due to general poopy-headedness," hands it to Orrin Hatch, and does the ol' Al Haig "I'm in charge here."

Ten minutes later, Trump scribbles out a note saying, "Oh no I'm NOT unable!!!" and then, after taking a moment to Tweet that Pence is the poopy-head, and disloyal to boot, runs over to the Senate and shoves the note into Hatch's... hatch.

At this point Pence and 50% + 1 of the Cabinet politely wait three of the allotted four days, then submit another letter saying, "His protestations notwithstanding, Trump is indeed incapacitated by poopy-headedness."

Congress then dithers and dawdles and delays for the entire allotted time span of 21 days, and ultimately fails to muster the needed 67% of both Houses to hand the job over to Pence.

---------------------

I see nothing in the text of 25A to preclude this. One would *hope* that the parties involved would consider -- in a serious-minded fashion -- the opinions of appropriate medical experts; in the current climate, this is uncertain.

The background of 25A includes the recent memory of the *physical* ailments of FDR late in his Presidency, Ike, and JFK (all of which were mostly concealed from the public until later). Given that, one suspects it *mostly* contemplates a POTUS who is *physically* compromised, but too proud and/or stubborn to admit it. Perhaps 25A should be clarified to further assure that judgments of "inability" are not arbitrary.

Personally, I think it should be amended to require more than a mere 50%+1 of the Cabinet.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Ok, so if I'm reading this correctly, Pence and 50% + 1 of the Cabinet draft a letter saying, "Trump is unable to serve due to general poopy-headedness," hands it to Orrin Hatch, and does the ol' Al Haig "I'm in charge here."

Ten minutes later, Trump scribbles out a note saying, "Oh no I'm NOT unable!!!" and then, after taking a moment to Tweet that Pence is the poopy-head, and disloyal to boot, runs over to the Senate and shoves the note into Hatch's... hatch.

At this point Pence and 50% + 1 of the Cabinet politely wait three of the allotted four days, then submit another letter saying, "His protestations notwithstanding, Trump is indeed incapacitated by poopy-headedness."

Congress then dithers and dawdles and delays for the entire allotted time span of 21 days, and ultimately fails to muster the needed 67% of both Houses to hand the job over to Pence.

---------------------

I see nothing in the text of 25A to preclude this. One would *hope* that the parties involved would consider -- in a serious-minded fashion -- the opinions of appropriate medical experts; in the current climate, this is uncertain.

The background of 25A includes the recent memory of the *physical* ailments of FDR late in his Presidency, Ike, and JFK (all of which were mostly concealed from the public until later). Given that, one suspects it *mostly* contemplates a POTUS who is *physically* compromised, but too proud and/or stubborn to admit it. Perhaps 25A should be clarified to further assure that judgments of "inability" are not arbitrary.

Personally, I think it should be amended to require more than a mere 50%+1 of the Cabinet.
        Yeah, but in this poisonous political climate, all that will ever happen is more rancor.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Trump is so over-the-top about it, it strikes me as at least partially intended to be comical trollery, kind of like the all-seeing, all-knowing, all-everything Maha Rushie.
          I think that's a lot of it - I think Trump truly enjoys getting the liberals all bent out of shape.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            Oh you sensitive snowflake.
            That'll be the day, Queen Drama.

Comment

Oh you sensitive snowflake. "Unhinged" has been used frequently by members of the WH according to Bob Woodward and others to describe Trump. It is defined as mentally unbalanced or deranged, which would certainly qualify for a "Twenty-fifth Amendment removal of the president from office. So what are you on about?
              It has also been used to describe exactly the way he has been known to conduct business his entire career -- spur of the moment, stream of consciousness conversations, veering off on tangents... And these traits are what many in D.C. find unsettling -- not to mention his rude in-your-face style.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Had to look that one up.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  It has also been used to describe exactly the way he has been known to conduct business his entire career -- spur of the moment, stream of consciousness conversations, veering off on tangents... And these traits are what many in D.C. find unsettling -- not to mention his rude in-your-face style.
                  This really is about me, isn't it?

Comment

This really is about me, isn't it?
                    No. Not at all

Well, maybe the last bit.

Comment

Idiosyncratic personality traits tend to get worse with age to the point, in this instance, that many are questioning Trump’s competence to govern. It is one thing for his businesses to collapse (as indeed they have before) it is another if he drags the country and world down with him, hence the talk of invoking the 26th Amendment.
                      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoronn View Post
                        Idiosyncratic personality traits tend to get worse with age to the point, in this instance, that many [ON THE LEFT WITH AN OBVIOUSLY SELF-SERVING POLITICAL AGENDA] are questioning Trump’s competence to govern.
                        I added the part you "accidently" left out.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Idiosyncratic personality traits tend to get worse with age to the point, in this instance, that many are questioning Trump’s competence to govern. It is one thing for his businesses to collapse (as indeed they have before) it is another if he drags the country and world down with him, hence the talk of invoking the 26th Amendment.
                          And yet he seems to have accomplished most of the things he has set out to do. Go figure.

Comment

And yet he seems to have accomplished most of the things he has set out to do. Go figure.
                            Apparently not even close to "most."

To be fair, it's very hard for a politician to keep all (or even most) of their promises. We don't live in a dictatorship. Most of the time, compromise is required to move forward. I would love to see how this compares to previous presidencies, but I'm not finding that.
                            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                              Apparently not even close to "most."

To be fair, it's very hard for a politician to keep all (or even most) of their promises. We don't live in a dictatorship. Most of the time, compromise is required to move forward. I would love to see how this compares to previous presidencies, but I'm not finding that.
                              Wouldn't that be whataboutism?

Comment

Wouldn't that be whataboutism?
                                I don't see how. "Whataboutism" is when someone attempts to divert the discussion from X, or defends/excuses the actions of X, by pointing out Y did the same thing. Comparisons are not necessarily "whataboutism." If Trump claims, "I've done more in my first two years than any other president," the truth of that proposition can only be determined by looking at what other presidents did. That's not "whataboutism." If one wants to evaluate the relative strengths or weaknesses of presidents, it can only be done by comparison. Again, that is not "whataboutism."

THIS is "whataboutism..."

"Trump is a chronic liar!"
                                "What about Obama?"

THIS is not...

"Trump lies more than any other president!"
                                "What about Obama?"
                                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment