Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

The Denominations Myth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Denominations Myth

Are there really 30,000+ denominations of Christianity?

Link

-----

How many denominations are there? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

Have you ever heard the claim about how many denominations there are in Protestantism? This is used by people in Catholicism, Orthodoxy, and even atheists and agnostics. The former against Protestantism and the latter against Christianity. How can anyone take Christianity seriously when there are so many different groups?

The number is often exaggerated and without looking at the source for it. Any high number should be viewed with suspicion, especially if it goes into the tens of thousands. Still, this claim is not without some evidence behind it and even this from a valid source.

If you look at The World Encyclopedia of Christianity you will find that it does indeed say there are over 30,000 denominations. Well, time to pack it up and go home. After all, we're way too divided if that's the case.

While there is some division, it is not as much as one would think at a closer look. The division is into six major ecclesiastical blocks. It's strange how that isn't the first position cited. Actually, no. No, it's not. Many people wanting to use arguments without checking their source thoroughly will go with something that falls along their biases. We are all guilty of this tendency and we must all check ourselves.

This is a list of these kinds of groups. If you look, you will find that Orthodoxy and Catholicism both have a number of denominations listed in them. This is based on the kinds of rites that they follow. It's doubtful whether any practitioner of these traditions thinks that these all count as different denominations.

Some denominations are also based on a particular need. Consider the case of a Korean church for instance. They want a church that speaks their language and understands their culture. Their beliefs could be identical to the Baptist church down the street in terms of doctrine, but they would still be another denomination.

Also, consider that in a city like mine, Atlanta, you could have churches in different areas that are independent Baptist. These are not tied to a hierarchial order. Suppose they all have the same beliefs doctrinally, but they are far apart because this is a big city and not everyone wants to drive fifty miles or however much it is to get to church. Each of these would count as one denomination.

Someone might say, "Well, Nick. Of course, you're going to say this. You're a Protestant." Fair enough, but first off, that doesn't deal with the evidence I present. Second, it doesn't deal with the fact that a Roman Catholic writer also recognizes the problem. Does this show that Catholicism or Orthodoxy are incorrect? Not at all. It does show that this is a bad argument for their position, just as there are bad arguments for Christianity, Protestantism, Sola Scriptura, and any other position.

For a humorous look at this, I recommend also the video my ministry partner, J.P. Holding made.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

To say that number (and different sources give different numbers that result in tens of thousands in difference) is grossly inflated is an understatement and the methodology employed to arrive at these figures is ridiculous. It is based on a radically open definition of what "denomination" is. For instance under the definition used to arrive at that number if there two independent Baptist churches on each side of the street, each one of them is considered a different denomination. In fact every independent Baptist church is deemed to be a different denomination by the definition used to arrive at this figure.

The numbers for the World Christian Encyclopedia list was supplied by the Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary and it is telling how they arrived at their claims which can be found in the Methodology from the Atlas of Global Christianity resource (smiley hat tip.gif to Adrift)

Source: Methodology from the Atlas of Global Christianity

First, for each major tradition, a denomination present in more than one country was counted as one denomination per each country. Thus, for example, the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia was considered a separate denomination from the Russian Orthodox Church in Kazakhstan. Second, the Anglican tradition was considered to consist of one denomination in each country in which it is present (169 in all). Third, the Roman Catholic Church was considered to consist of 239 denominations; however, about half of all Christians globally are Roman Catholics.

© Copyright Original Source

So they count as a different denomination for each country they are in. IOW, Catholics in the U.S. are a different denomination than those in Mexico. And both are different denominations from those in Spain. And the Catholics in France are a separate denomination than the Catholics in the U.S., Mexico and Spain. And on and on.

Further, within Roman Catholicism there are claimed to be a number of different "denominations" since those that cobble together these lists tend to call the various orders within it separate denominations. They all follow Roman Catholic teachings but have differences that could almost be called cosmetic. That's like going to two Southern Baptist, or Methodist or Lutheran churches across town from one another and noticing the differences in how they do things and then declaring them separate denominations.

Moreover, every single Bible society or church club is also considered to be a different denomination than the church or churches that it is affiliated with.

Finally, many groups that aren't even Christian often get added in to help inflate the number. Some are Christian denominations in the same way that Islam is a Christian or Jewish denomination

If you want to understand just how ridiculous this figure is try to name just twenty Christian denominations from memory alone. If there were tens of thousands of them someone shouldn't have any difficulty rattling off a hundred so a mere twenty ought to be a real breeze.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I agree, that number is grossly inflated. However, that does not negate the fact that Protestants have never been united, and many eschew identifying with a denomination altogether. All Protestants have is the notion of a "spiritual church" without even an agreed-upon idea of who's in it.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Even correcting the inflation of the number of Christian denominations, Christianity still has more sects than any other world religion.
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          I agree, that number is grossly inflated. However, that does not negate the fact that Protestants have never been united, and many eschew identifying with a denomination altogether. All Protestants have is the notion of a "spiritual church" without even an agreed-upon idea of who's in it.
          Never miss a chance to bash Protestantism do you?

ETA: Sorry that came out a lot harsher than I meant it
          Last edited by rogue06; 09-07-2018, 01:08 PM.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
            Even correcting the inflation of the number of Christian denominations, Christianity still has more sects than any other world religion.
            I don't know that this means Christianity has more philosophical differences than any other world religion, though. I know that not all Muslims agree with each other, for one, but not whether that disagreement has been formalized into anything resembling 'denominations.' Logically, I'm sure there are disagreements among the practitioners of other faiths. But while some points of disagreement between Christian denominations are critical, not all of them are. My choice of denomination(Episcopal) over the one I grew up with(Methodist) had to do with a personal preference for "high church" services and their particular philosophical approach(at least, as it was explained to me by the Episcopal church). There are other differences(not that many, given the common roots), but none of them are anything I would hang my faith on, so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Never miss a chance to bash Protestantism do you?

ETA: Sorry that came out a lot harsher than I meant it
              It can be difficult to maintain equanimity when one's own ox is gored.

Seriously, though, my intent was not to bash - just to point out facts which IMO are problematic for Protestantism. I do try to avoid bashing my Protestant brethren and sistren here, but I am, after all, a bad pig, and some invitations can be difficult to pass up.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

It can be difficult to maintain equanimity when one's own ox is gored.
                Meh. Baptists are borderline Protestant's at most.
                Seriously, though, my intent was not to bash - just to point out facts which IMO are problematic for Protestantism. I do try to avoid bashing my Protestant brethren and sistren here, but I am, after all, a bad pig, and some invitations can be difficult to pass up.
                And turning you into something better (bacon) is also something difficult to pass up.

Here piggy, piggy. Sooey, sooey
                Last edited by rogue06; 09-08-2018, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Working for the last 12 years in Kairos Prison Ministry, which is very ecumenical, has shown me we have much more in common than we do differences. I learned that if we simply put aside our differences and focus on our commonality, that great things can be accomplished in the name of Jesus Christ. We go into the Unit representing the Christian Faith, and leave all denominations outside.
                  "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                    Working for the last 12 years in Kairos Prison Ministry, which is very ecumenical, has shown me we have much more in common than we do differences. I learned that if we simply put aside our differences and focus on our commonality, that great things can be accomplished in the name of Jesus Christ. We go into the Unit representing the Christian Faith, and leave all denominations outside.
                    A lot of military chaplains have learned similar lessons.

Comment

Originally posted by LeaC View Post
                      I don't know that this means Christianity has more philosophical differences than any other world religion, though. I know that not all Muslims agree with each other, for one, but not whether that disagreement has been formalized into anything resembling 'denominations.' Logically, I'm sure there are disagreements among the practitioners of other faiths. But while some points of disagreement between Christian denominations are critical, not all of them are. My choice of denomination(Episcopal) over the one I grew up with(Methodist) had to do with a personal preference for "high church" services and their particular philosophical approach(at least, as it was explained to me by the Episcopal church). There are other differences(not that many, given the common roots), but none of them are anything I would hang my faith on, so to speak.
                      There are more Baptist sects than non-baptist Protestants sects. How so? Each Baptist church without a Baptist denomination association is a sect unto itself. And this is besides the fact Baptist churches within an association are nevertheless each an autonomous sect.
                      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

This topic is something the Mormon missionaries always bring up when they knock on my door. It surprises them when I say that I count most of these denominations as part of the universal church. I tell them that there are basic beliefs that make one a Christian, and if you don't follow those beliefs you're not Christian, hence my rejection of the Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses. They don't know what to say to that.
                        Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Meh. Baptists are more Protestant's than most.
                          FTFY, n/c. I'll be courteous and assume you don't fall for the "Trail of Blood" codswallop. Baptists tend to make most "Protestants" look like conformists by comparison.

studiously ignoring the extraneous apostrophe
                          Last edited by One Bad Pig; 09-08-2018, 04:14 PM. Reason: forgot to close a tag

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                            This topic is something the Mormon missionaries always bring up when they knock on my door. It surprises them when I say that I count most of these denominations as part of the universal church. I tell them that there are basic beliefs that make one a Christian, and if you don't follow those beliefs you're not Christian, hence my rejection of the Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses. They don't know what to say to that.
                            Genuine Christianity has more counterfeits than any other religious group. Genuine Christians know God and know with certainty that they now have eternal life and upon physical death they know they will be in Heaven present with the Lord.

Comment

FTFY, n/c. I'll be courteous and assume you don't fall for the "Trail of Blood" codswallop. Baptists tend to make most "Protestants" look like conformists by comparison.

studiously ignoring the extraneous apostrophe
                              One tenet that all Baptists have in common or they are not really Baptists is that the 66 book Bible is the sole final authority in all matters of faith and practice of the genuine Christian faith. The Christian New Testament is the only apostolic tradition that has been handed down with certainty.

Comment