Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

The Denominations Myth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    FTFY, n/c. I'll be courteous and assume you don't fall for the "Trail of Blood" codswallop. Baptists tend to make most "Protestants" look like conformists by comparison.

studiously ignoring the extraneous apostrophe
    While the Inquisition and so-called "Burning Times" were grossly exaggerated it would be foolish to assert they didn't exist. The same could be said about the early persecutions of Baptists/Anabaptists.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      One tenet that all Baptists have in common or they are not really Baptists is that the 66 book Bible is the sole final authority in all matters of faith and practice of the genuine Christian faith. The Christian New Testament is the only apostolic tradition that has been handed down with certainty.
      I suspect you ought to add at least believer's baptism by immersion to that.

I grew up essentially Independent Fundamental Baptist, and converted directly from Southern Baptist. I think I have a fairly good grasp of Baptist thought.
      Last edited by One Bad Pig; 09-09-2018, 05:47 PM.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        While the Inquisition and so-called "Burning Times" were grossly exaggerated it would be foolish to assert they didn't exist. The same could be said about the early persecutions of Baptists/Anabaptists.
        Of course they existed. However, the distance between those and the so-called "Trail of Blood" is vast.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Of course they existed. However, the distance between those and the so-called "Trail of Blood" is vast.
          Kinda said that.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I suspect you ought to add at least believer's baptism by immersion to that.

I grew up essentially Independent Fundamental Baptist, and converted directly from Southern Baptist. I think I have a fairly good grasp of Baptist thought.
            Believer's baptism [immersion] as it has been called, is the only Christian immersion taught in the Christian New Testament. What some of the irregular churches practice is not Christian immersion.
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

. . . "Trail of Blood" . . .
              By American Baptist minister James Milton Carroll. Question, cite one specific that he got wrong. Just one for now.
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Kinda said that.
                I'm not seeing it, sorry. You addressed a question I didn't ask, and I'm still not sure what you posted had to do with anything.

sigpic

Comment

By American Baptist minister James Milton Carroll. Question, cite one specific that he got wrong. Just one for now.
                  We've been over this before, Paul.

sigpic

Comment

I'm not seeing it, sorry. You addressed a question I didn't ask, and I'm still not sure what you posted had to do with anything.
                    Re-read my post.

Comment

Re-read my post.
                      I have, twice. Help me out here - I feel like I'm missing something.

sigpic

Comment

I have, twice. Help me out here - I feel like I'm missing something.

You said that you assumed I didn't fall for the "Trail of Blood codswallop" to which I replied that just because the Inquisition and "Burning Times" were highly exaggerated doesn't mean they didn't happened and likened it to the persecution of Baptists/Anabaptists (meaning while incidents might also have been heavily exaggerated there was still persecution nonetheless).

Then you in effect agreed saying that persecutions did take place but were exaggerated : "Of course they existed. However, the distance between those and the so-called "Trail of Blood" is vast."

And that's when I said I "kinda said that."

Is it your week to try to troll me now?

Comment

You said that you assumed I didn't fall for the "Trail of Blood codswallop" to which I replied that just because the Inquisition and "Burning Times" were highly exaggerated doesn't mean they didn't happened and likened it to the persecution of Baptists/Anabaptists (meaning while incidents might also have been heavily exaggerated there was still persecution nonetheless).

Then you in effect agreed saying that persecutions did take place but were exaggerated : "Of course they existed. However, the distance between those and the so-called "Trail of Blood" is vast."
                          Well, I agreed that they existed. I was entirely silent regarding exaggeration.
                          And that's when I said I "kinda said that."

Is it your week to try to troll me now?
                          It is unclear to me that you understand the concept of the "Trail of Blood." It ostensibly stretches much farther back than the Inquisition (which started well before (Ana)baptists were around, to boot).

sigpic

Comment

We've been over this before, Paul.
                            Do you have anything written by the Paulicians not written by the Roman Catholic Church?

Comment

Do you have anything written by the Paulicians not written by the Roman Catholic Church?
                              Conybeare had in his hot little hands an actual Paulician document, written by a Paulician. Also, the Armenian Church has had precious little contact with the Roman Catholic Church down through the ages. This would be evident if you'd bothered to read him. Further, Conybeare himself was an Adoptionist, and so hardly in Rome's pocket. The text I found is freely available on the Internet Archive.

sigpic

Comment

Conybeare had in his hot little hands an actual Paulician document, written by a Paulician. Also, the Armenian Church has had precious little contact with the Roman Catholic Church down through the ages. This would be evident if you'd bothered to read him. Further, Conybeare himself was an Adoptionist, and so hardly in Rome's pocket. The text I found is freely available on the Internet Archive.
                                Then pick something out from the translated document as a case in point. Not just Conybeare's arguments.

Comment