Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Botham Shem Jean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Botham Shem Jean

Does, ‘black’ mean critical mortal threat to a police officer?
    A heavy dose of soul searching coming up. Do the right thing.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    A gated apartment block. Her key did not open the door. Solution - draw your weapon and shoot the occupant who answers the door. Very strange.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

A gated apartment block. Her key did not open the door. Solution - draw your weapon and shoot the occupant who answers the door. Very strange.
      High probability that she had been drinking methinks.

Comment

BTW, as a rule, guns and alcohol are not a good combination. Do police officers drink while armed - off duty?

Comment

Very bad if a sober and sane police officer has done this.

Comment

Isolated incident that had nothing to do with her being a cop.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

She's on a one-way track to a manslaughter charge. I can't imagine any jury case that wouldn't end up with a conviction.

Comment

A heavy dose of soul searching coming up.
                Would that you would actually do such a thing.

Would you mind finding someone who actually defends her actions before you start in on the sanctimony?
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Where is this part from? In the articles I looked up about it, all I find is the fairly vague statement that the officer accidentally entered the wrong apartment and then subsequently shot him. The implication I took was that she opened the door on her own (was it unlocked?) and then shot Botham subsequently, not that Botham opened the door and was shot. Could you provide the source for this? Because the sources I've found are fairly vague and do not include the information you post here.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Would that you would actually do such a thing.

Would you mind finding someone who actually defends her actions before you start in on the sanctimony?
                    This is clearly a tragic accident. She called it in straight away. There was no law enforcement issue except what she imagined and no malice. So, you look at the circumstances; fatigue and what other things made this possible. An accident investigation approach is needed or else you end up failing to fix the underlying problem. Maybe her actions are defensible when the context is understood.

Comment

The investigation is being handled by the Texas Rangers. This often happens when it's likely that the officer-involved shooting is not considered "righteous", and a prosecution will ensue.

After initially seeking a manslaughter warrant for the off-duty Dallas Police Department officer who shot and killed Botham Shem Jean after she entered Jean's apartment, believing it was her own, DPD backed off, Dallas Police Chief U. Renee Hall said early Saturday afternoon.

"We were in the process of obtaining a warrant for the officer when we called the Texas Rangers in," Hall said. "We have since turned that investigation over to the Texas Rangers because we truly want to be transparent."

source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What is the controversy? Who is defending this?
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                          Where is this part from? In the articles I looked up about it, all I find is the fairly vague statement that the officer accidentally entered the wrong apartment and then subsequently shot him. The implication I took was that she opened the door on her own (was it unlocked?) and then shot Botham subsequently, not that Botham opened the door and was shot. Could you provide the source for this? Because the sources I've found are fairly vague and do not include the information you post here.
                          Story on Heavy.com by Jessica McBride quoting Steve Eagar from Fox 4 News who apparently got it from Dallas police. It seems odd that she would enter the apartment and not notice that she was in the wrong one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                            What is the controversy? Who is defending this?
                            The controversial part is where do the faults lie. I doubt if it’s 100% on her.

Comment

The controversial part is where do the faults lie. I doubt if it’s 100% on her.
                              And who, exactly, are you implicating besides herself?
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment