Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Botham Shem Jean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    It could be the difference between murder and manslaughter (and it sounds right now like she probably is going to avoid a murder charge).
    In Texas, murder requires intent - they would have to prove in court that she intended to shoot. That would be a loss, so the next best thing is manslaughter.

I know it's their job to defend her but I thought it was tone deaf that the police union head declared to the media that she was a good officer.
    That's what I hate about "police unions" - their job is pretty much to protect and defend the officer regardless. I have never been a member of a police union - during the last months of police days, there were a number of officers attempting to bring a union into the picture --- and, fact stranger than fiction, the particular union would have been the TEAMSTERS UNION!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Heard on the radio this morning that there was 10.4 grams of marijuana was found in the victims apartment. This is pure speculation but, his delayed reaction to her commands to "get on the ground" could be the result of impairment. There's no toxicology yet, so again, pure speculation.
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
        Heard on the radio this morning that there was 10.4 grams of marijuana was found in the victims apartment. This is pure speculation but, his delayed reaction to her commands to "get on the ground" could be the result of impairment. There's no toxicology yet, so again, pure speculation.
        And if were in his own casa....
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          And if were in his own casa....
          Right...
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
            Right...
            I love ya man!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

That's what I hate about "police unions" - their job is pretty much to protect and defend the officer regardless. I have never been a member of a police union - during the last months of police days, there were a number of officers attempting to bring a union into the picture --- and, fact stranger than fiction, the particular union would have been the TEAMSTERS UNION!
              OTOH they do appear to be useful when local politicians are overeager to toss a cop under the bus to appease the mob.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke
                That would be a loss, so the next best thing is manslaughter.
                Unless she's put before a jury of people who just flat out refuse to convict a cop for any reason, I can't imagine how she'd escape manslaughter.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                  Unless she's put before a jury of people who just flat out refuse to convict a cop for any reason, I can't imagine how she'd escape manslaughter.
                  If she had claimed that the room was still dark and she saw someone approaching her silently with what looked like a raised baseball bat or club of some sort...

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    If she had claimed that the room was still dark and she saw someone approaching her silently with what looked like a raised baseball bat or club of some sort...
                    Seriously?

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      Seriously?
                      Just a possible scenario in which she could not be convicted. Of course if she didn't offer this defense immediately and no large club-like item was found next to the body (and didn't have his fingerprints on it) this storyline is an absolute no-go.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Just a possible scenario in which she could not be convicted. Of course if she didn't offer this defense immediately and no large club-like item was found next to the body (and didn't have his fingerprints on it) this storyline is an absolute no-go.
                        There's just something about a cop gunning down a person, within the sanctity of that persons home, that even if that person was defending themselves it could be brushed off with 'Yeah well you were mistaken about what home you were in right? You thought it was a robber in *your* home, right?'. That just doesn't seem like justice to me, even if it could be drawn up as accidental.

If its purely accidental, then its criminally accidental.

Comment

There's just something about a cop gunning down a person, within the sanctity of that persons home, that even if that person was defending themselves it could be brushed off with 'Yeah well you were mistaken about what home you were in right? You thought it was a robber in *your* home, right?'. That just doesn't seem like justice to me, even if it could be drawn up as accidental.

I'm simply offering a potential scenario where a jury could decide that while a horrible accident took place it might not be deemed to be criminal in intent.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            OTOH they do appear to be useful when local politicians are overeager to toss a cop under the bus to appease the mob.
                            Well sure, the same way the teachers' unions can protect a teacher wrongly accused, but also protect teachers who should be in jail, not in a classroom.

Comment

I can't imagine such a jury would survive voir dire, let alone exist in Dallas.

Comment

I have seen nothing so far to excuse this officer's actions. Believe me, I'm looking.

Comment