Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Botham Shem Jean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I feel really disheartened this morning.

This has gone viral among Christians about a story of forgiveness. But apparently a lot of Black Christians are not thrilled... at all.

In one of the apologetics groups I'm in, one guy I've seen around Christian circles, a black guy... is downright pissed. He won't even say what he thinks other than that "you just don't get it". Another guy with a fairly wide voice, who is married to a black woman, says that white Christians need to be focusing just as much on systematic racism rather than just forgiveness.

An old friend of mine from high school who is now a pastor also just posted on Facebook to other pastors that if they want to use this as an example in church of forgiveness... but they haven't preached against current day racism, or didn't use Martin Luther King Day to do so... that preaching about Amber Guyger is going to do more harm than good. A friend chimed in that she had heard from a lot of black Christians and they are not thrilled about this story being used in this way... at all.

If a lot of black Christians feel this way, I feel that I can't just ignore their feelings, you know? Yet this sort of turning the other cheek is what Christianity is about. But the situation of racism in the US does complicate how to convey that.
    It is rather hard-hearted of them, because they want their grievances to be addressed in a certain way and not with free reconciliation. That is not the Christian way, but it is very understandable. To be fair the mass media has done its level best to sow hatred and increase racial division.
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

In a series of weird coincidences... I came across a well written series of academic articles from a homeschooling scientist who's in a Christian parenting group I'm in.
      It's a start. He does treats the problem lightly, almost as if it were a mere academic problem. When in reality, the gospel that includes 'social justice' and critical theory has become an extremely serious threat.

...but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be anathema.

As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be anathema.
      Last edited by demi-conservative; 10-07-2019, 04:31 AM.

Comment

• Years ago, it became obvious to even ordinary people on the right that hatred, envy and division was being sowed between the races. They may not have been particularly educated or conversant with academic descriptions of critical theory, but they could see and understand the signs.

Now you're surprised that this theory has infected even the Evangelical churches, that many Christian blacks are full of resentment, that their response to a moment of reconciliation is bitterness? For those with eyes to see, this is only to be expected, and this should only be the beginning.

Comment

• Another innocent person blown away by a careless cop! Fort Worth.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            Another innocent person blown away by a careless cop! Fort Worth.
            How far away from the cop were you when you witnessed this incident?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              How far away from the cop were you when you witnessed this incident?
              The case I refer to is the killing of Ms Jefferson by policeman Aaron Dean who was recording the incident on his body-cam. My personal sensibilities are such that I shy away from violent video images. Do you know about this?
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

The case I refer to is the killing of Ms Jefferson by policeman Aaron Dean who was recording the incident on his body-cam.
                Yes, I guessed that.

My personal sensibilities are such that I shy away from violent video images. Do you know about this?
                I know that there's always "context" - and I'm waiting for more than just the immediate "moment in time" version. I'm actually looking into this, and I admit at first blush it looks pretty damning for the officer.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yes, I guessed that.

I know that there's always "context" - and I'm waiting for more than just the immediate "moment in time" version. I'm actually looking into this, and I admit at first blush it looks pretty damning for the officer.
                  Actually, it looks damning for the entire police service if the public learn to be afraid to call the police.

Comment

Actually, it looks damning for the entire police service if the public learn to be afraid to call the police.
                    A) Tragic though it may be, it is not representative of the thousands of police officers who faithfully serve every day without unduly harming the citizenry.
                    2) Try as I may, I cannot yet find extenuating circumstances to explain - much less justify - this particular officer's conduct.

Comment

• I could only imagine how sick the neighbor feels right now.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I could only imagine how sick the neighbor feels right now.
                        Yes, the one who called out of concern, because they cared.

The ONLY thing I can find right now that may be even slightly exculpatory is the fact that the deceased's son indicated she had a gun, and it was pointed at the window. HOWEVER, that doesn't seem to have been a genuine factor in this.

Comment

Yes, the one who called out of concern, because they cared.

The ONLY thing I can find right now that may be even slightly exculpatory is the fact that the deceased's son indicated she had a gun, and it was pointed at the window. HOWEVER, that doesn't seem to have been a genuine factor in this.
                          Could be a factor; CNN has this:

He then fired through the window, killing Jefferson. She had pulled a handgun from her purse at the time, after hearing noises from outside the home, her nephew told police. She was pointing it toward the window when she was shot and fell to the ground, according to the arrest affidavit.

Comment

Could be a factor; CNN has this:

He then fired through the window, killing Jefferson. She had pulled a handgun from her purse at the time, after hearing noises from outside the home, her nephew told police. She was pointing it toward the window when she was shot and fell to the ground, according to the arrest affidavit.
                            Yeah, even allowing for that, his failure to loudly identify himself as a police officer is a major factor.

I had a close friend who was killed a few years ago while executing a "dynamic entry" on a warrant for drugs and guns. It was video'd by numerous body cams, as well as an assistant district attorney who was there to video the scene for court purposes. Sadly, "our guys" never yelled "police" at the beginning of the raid, and the intense gunfight that followed wouldn't have allowed such declaration to be heard anyway.

The drug dealers who killed my friend were not charged with his death because there was no evidence whatsoever that he identified himself as a police officer - the drug dealers claimed they thought they were being attacked by a rival gang.

If the police officer does not identify himself as such, he puts himself in grave danger both physically and legally.

Comment