Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Botham Shem Jean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
    She was one floor off. The report I heard this morning said that apparently the door was unlocked therefore giving the appearance that she unlocked it. However, Jean, had a red Welcome Mat at his front door, and she doesn't have one. No indication yet whether drinking was involved, the report said she had just come off of a 15 hour shift.

Here's a link to the Dallas Morning News article that details the above info:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dall...-official-says

adblocker.jpg

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      Definitely will have same type of lock, all the doors will look similar at first glance. I would be surprised if two doors in the same block had the same key.
      They could have just used the same generic factory lock on all apartments and never bothered to rekey them. Save some money.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        People should use it more often.

Nontroversy: A controversy that does not exist until created for political gain. A contraction of non and controversy.
        I like it!

Comment

I'm trying to figure out how the scenario played out, and the only thing that makes sense to me is that she came home really drunk. At any rate entering someone else's apartment, accidentally is something I've never done in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
            She was one floor off. The report I heard this morning said that apparently the door was unlocked therefore giving the appearance that she unlocked it. However, Jean, had a red Welcome Mat at his front door, and she doesn't have one. No indication yet whether drinking was involved, the report said she had just come off of a 15 hour shift.

Here's a link to the Dallas Morning News article that details the above info:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dall...-official-says

Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings also said Sunday that Guyger parked on the wrong floor.

She went to the door she thought was hers but was one floor too high. The four floors of the South Side Flats in the Cedars look the same, with concrete floors and tan doors. A light fixture to the side of each door displays the apartment number.

Guyger, 30, was arrested Sunday on a manslaughter charge and was booked into the Kaufman County Jail. The Texas Rangers are investigating the case at the request of Dallas Police Chief U. Renee Hall. In the last year, juries have sentenced two police officers in Dallas County to prison time after convicting them of murder.

The night of the shooting, Guyger didn’t notice that Jean's door had a red doormat in front of it, the official said. Her entrance didn’t have one.

Guyger, who was still in uniform, put her key in the door, which was unlocked, and the door opened, the official said. The lights were out. She saw a figure in the darkness and thought her apartment was being burglarized, the official said. Guyger pulled her gun and fired twice.

When she turned on the lights, she realized she was in the wrong apartment. Jean, who worked for PricewaterhouseCoopers, was shot once in the chest.

Authorities have said Guyger and Jean, a native of Saint Lucia in the Caribbean, did not know each other. Guyger, a nearly five-year veteran of the Police Department, had recently moved into the complex.

Comment

I'm trying to figure out how the scenario played out, and the only thing that makes sense to me is that she came home really drunk. At any rate entering someone else's apartment, accidentally is something I've never done in my life.
              went to the same place but wrong floor and was tired and not paying attention. The door was unlocked, and the lights were out in the apartment. She saw someone inside and reacted.

A terrible accident for which she will probably end up paying for with prison time. 'not paying attention' is not an excuse to kill someone.

Comment

I recall several incidents in college where that happened (to others).
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  went to the same place but wrong floor and was tired and not paying attention. The door was unlocked, and the lights were out in the apartment. She saw someone inside and reacted.
                  Criminally negligent at least. There's no chance of her escaping prison time for this. You can't just walk into someone else's apartment. Shoot them and then go "oops my bad", and have everything be flowers and roses.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Never happened to me and I've come home from overnighters. I'd have to be so drunk that I could barely stand up which I'm starting to wonder if she was.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      I walked up to the wrong car once and was trying to open it, when the owner walked up behind me. He could have thought I was trying to break in, but he graciously laughed and I looked sheepish and realized what had happened. I was parked a couple of stalls down.

These apartment complexes all look alike.

It's no excuse for what she did, it was still her fault and a crime, but I can see how it could happen easily enough.

Comment

Criminally negligent at least. There's no chance of her escaping prison time for this. You can't just walk into someone else's apartment. Shoot them and then go "oops my bad", and have everything be flowers and roses.
                        right. It was still her fault.

Comment

Never happened to me and I've come home from overnighters. I'd have to be so drunk that I could barely stand up which I'm starting to wonder if she was.
                          it said she was in uniform coming off shift. So I don't think she would drink in uniform. I am pretty sure the halls and doors of all of these apartments look the same. Apparently the only indication was a red door mat she didn't notice. a 15 hour shift is a long time. She parked on the wrong floor and didn't realize it.

Maybe she can throw some of the blame to the police department for making her work a 15 hour shift?

Comment

it said she was in uniform coming off shift. So I don't think she would drink in uniform. I am pretty sure the halls and doors of all of these apartments look the same. Apparently the only indication was a red door mat she didn't notice. a 15 hour shift is a long time. She parked on the wrong floor and didn't realize it.

Maybe she can throw some of the blame to the police department for making her work a 15 hour shift?
                            A lot of the Dallas cops volunteer for overtime - it may have been her choice. Besides, it's up to her to determine ... How did Dirty Harry say it? A Woman has got to know her limitations!
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I woke up in a Soho doorway
                              A policeman knew my name
                              He said "You can go sleep at home tonight
                              If you can get up and walk away"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I walked up to the wrong car once and was trying to open it, when the owner walked up behind me. He could have thought I was trying to break in, but he graciously laughed and I looked sheepish and realized what had happened. I was parked a couple of stalls down.

These apartment complexes all look alike.

It's no excuse for what she did, it was still her fault and a crime, but I can see how it could happen easily enough.
                                It's a lot easier to do that with cars, especially before keyless entry was a thing.
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment