Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Botham Shem Jean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Chuck Norris is coming outta retirement?
    Him and Trivette and CD. And Alex Cahill will make sure everything goes according to law.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• According to video from ABC News, in a sidebar with the judge and attorneys, it was discussed that Guyger had sought employment with the Fort Worth police department, and was denied, and had applied to the DFW Airport Police (unknown whether she was denied), had smoked marijuana, and failed polygraph tests investigating such use, had also failed on the basis of theft from her workplace (TGI Friday), violations of Dallas PD policies (at risk conduct) resulting in Internal Affairs Investigations, chase policy violations, adverse conduct, disciplinary actions...

ETA: (and they keep referring to three social media accounts she had which, apparently, contained some incriminating posts - not sure what that's all about)

I do not know if this information was available to the jury -- usually that's withheld until the sentencing phase. (The purpose of the sidebar is to decide what information would be allowed in testimony)

It would not surprise me in the least if there were a civil suit against the Dallas Police Department for hiring her in the first place, and keeping her employed with such an extensive (at one point, I'm pretty sure they said 400 pages) personnel file.
      Last edited by Cow Poke; 10-01-2019, 05:45 PM.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        As badly as I feel for the family of the victim, I also feel sympathy for the shooter. It clearly wasn't premeditated murder, it was a stupid split second decision motivated by fear and confusion ...
        ... and distractions from sexting with her former partner?

I'm figuring folks have the right to choose their sexual partners, but that's an unbelievably unprofessional dynamic in any workspace, and the efforts they both made to delete the messages says they thought so, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
          ... and distractions from sexting with her former partner?

I'm figuring folks have the right to choose their sexual partners, but that's an unbelievably unprofessional dynamic in any workspace, and the efforts they both made to delete the messages says they thought so, too.
          It's also incredibly common, but I don't see its relevance to the incident.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            According to video from ABC News, in a sidebar with the judge and attorneys, it was discussed that Guyger had sought employment with the Fort Worth police department, and was denied, and had applied to the DFW Airport Police (unknown whether she was denied), had smoked marijuana, and failed polygraph tests investigating such use, had also failed on the basis of theft from her workplace (TGI Friday), violations of Dallas PD policies (at risk conduct) resulting in Internal Affairs Investigations, chase policy violations, adverse conduct, disciplinary actions...

ETA: (and they keep referring to three social media accounts she had which, apparently, contained some incriminating posts - not sure what that's all about)

I do not know if this information was available to the jury -- usually that's withheld until the sentencing phase. (The purpose of the sidebar is to decide what information would be allowed in testimony)

It would not surprise me in the least if there were a civil suit against the Dallas Police Department for hiring her in the first place, and keeping her employed with such an extensive (at one point, I'm pretty sure they said 400 pages) personnel file.
            I don't think her failure to be hired by Fort Worth should be relevant. It seems just like an attempt to embarrass her. (Just like how I think it was wrong that somebody from the police department leaked that Botham Shem Jean had marijuana in his apartment. It's 100% irrelevant to the case and just a shady attempt to discredit him.) Whatever she accumulated in her Dallas police file could be more relevant, but given that the incident happened while she was off duty, I don't think the Dallas PD should be held liable. It seems like a money shakedown and I can't go for that.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              I don't think her failure to be hired by Fort Worth should be relevant. It seems just like an attempt to embarrass her.
              That's exactly why it was being discussed in a pre-trial sidebar. If, indeed, her "failure to be hired" could be shown to be based on her unfitness for service, it would be relevant. It appears it was redacted, because that could not be proved.

(Just like how I think it was wrong that somebody from the police department leaked that Botham Shem Jean had marijuana in his apartment. It's 100% irrelevant to the case and just a shady attempt to discredit him.)
              While, of course, the officer in question had also dabbled in marijuana.

Whatever she accumulated in her Dallas police file could be more relevant, but given that the incident happened while she was off duty, I don't think the Dallas PD should be held liable.
              That's actually a grey area in most departments. Even though you are "off the clock", you are still considered "on duty" with respect to your conduct while in uniform (which she was) and would be required to represent the department in all aspects.

It seems like a money shakedown and I can't go for that.
              I don't know what there would actually be a civil trial. I'm just suggesting that, if there were, the family of the victim might actually have a case.

Comment

It's also incredibly common, but I don't see its relevance to the incident.
                The supposed relevance to the incident is the allegation that she was preoccupied with the sexting, having actually had sex with her married (to somebody else) colleague just prior to the incident, and her head (allegedly) was elsewhere. To that "partner", she allegedly texted (during the 911 call) that she had "f'd" up and needed him to come "right now".

The prosecution pointed out a number of "missed opportunities" for her to realize she was going to the wrong apartment, including the large red welcome mat at the door.

As I pointed out to KG, the "off duty" status is more "off the clock", as a uniformed officer is, in many departments, considered to be "on duty" while in uniform, and required to conduct themselves as such.

(I'm currently reading through the Dallas Police Department's Policy Manual)

Comment

And I thought my reading list was boring...
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    And I thought my reading list was boring...
                    I'm just really curious how she got to be a cop, and how she was allowed to (allegedly) violate so many department policies and still be employed.

Comment

• I just checked with a friend who is involved with student ministry at Southwestern Theological Seminary in Fort Worth. She is responsible for helping seminary students find jobs while attending Seminary.

It used to be that Dallas and Fort Worth Police Departments were great opportunities for such students, but she says that, in the last few years, they don't even recommend Dallas PD anymore, even though DPD seems desperate to recruit and train over SIX HUNDRED new officers just to "restaff". According to her, morale problems are rampant, and the "risk / reward" is simply abysmal. It appears (though I can't confirm this) that DPD has really lowered their standards in their desperation to recruit officers.

I want to be clear - I'm not trying to pile onto ex-officer Guyger herself - but the criminal justice system in Dallas seems to be almost irreparably broken.

Comment

The supposed relevance to the incident is the allegation that she was preoccupied with the sexting, having actually had sex with her married (to somebody else) colleague just prior to the incident, and her head (allegedly) was elsewhere. To that "partner", she allegedly texted (during the 911 call) that she had "f'd" up and needed him to come "right now".

The prosecution pointed out a number of "missed opportunities" for her to realize she was going to the wrong apartment, including the large red welcome mat at the door.

As I pointed out to KG, the "off duty" status is more "off the clock", as a uniformed officer is, in many departments, considered to be "on duty" while in uniform, and required to conduct themselves as such.

I'm aware of all of these details. Maybe I'm dense, but I'm still missing the relevance. As far as I know the relationship wasn't new, and people text other people (including their sexual partners) as they're walking through (what they think is) their apartment door all of the time. I'm not saying this excuses her, I'm just saying I don't understand the relevancy. Also, the bit she texted after she shot Jean was while she was on the line with responders, and seems in line with what someone might text to someone they trust who they think might be able to help them in such an incident. Being an ex-partner and someone she's intimate with seems to be in line with that.

Comment

I'm aware of all of these details. Maybe I'm dense, but I'm still missing the relevance. As far as I know the relationship wasn't new, and people text other people (including their sexual partners) as they're walking through (what they think is) their apartment door all of the time. I'm not saying this excuses her, I'm just saying I don't understand the relevancy. Also, the bit she texted after she shot Jean was while she was on the line with responders, and seems in line with what someone might text to someone they trust who they think might be able to help them in such an incident. Being an ex-partner and someone she's intimate with seems to be in line with that.
                          live stream not available.jpg

Comment

• So, this just in from USA Today...

It is possible that some or much of the information disqualified in pretrial sidebar might be available to the jury for the sentencing phase. (It's not unusual for the defense to "stipulate" to certain aspects in order to keep the jury from hearing the extended description)

It's worth noting, however, that the prosecutors went along with the possibility of a 2 year "sudden passion" provision.

Comment

• So, yes, the Jury is being allowed to see and know things they were prevented from seeing and knowing during the trial...

Amber Guyger sentencing resumes after murder conviction in death of Botham Jean

Jurors, who are deciding Guyger's punishment, were shown three Pinterest posts that Guyger had saved to her account and commented on. They included the picture of a military sniper with text that read: "Stay low, go fast; kill first, die last; one shot, one kill; no luck, all skill."

In another Pinterest post, Guyger commented under a picture of a Minion from the movie "Despicable Me": "People are so ungrateful. No one ever thanks me for having the patience not to kill them," the comment read.

Does anybody really think this kind of person deserves to be a police officer?

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40067[/ATTACH]
                                Now that sounds like relevant information.

Comment