Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Botham Shem Jean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Now that sounds like relevant information.
    I'm trying to rely on information that is available to the general public, rather than what I know through other channels, and more and more of that information is becoming "public".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• So, watching the sentencing phase, it appears that any character witness that speaks on behalf of ex-officer Guyger -- it goes pretty much like this...

they can attest to what a wonderful person she is
      prosecution shows or reads text messages or social media screen shots very damaging to Guyger
      the witness is asked, "is this the Amber Guyger you knew"?

And it's kinda like "have you stopped beating your wife" --- if they say "yes", then that's damning, if they say "no", the prosecution can conclude, "then you really didn't know Amber Guyger, did you?"

There is currently (depending on the delay of the feed) questioning about how Guyger and her fellow officers mocked their immediate supervisor behind his back, calling him (or her?) "Tubby".

Again, it appears that discipline and chain of command and general morale on this department were in the toilet.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        The sexual relationship with another officer was apparently one of the things for which she had been disciplined, and pledged not to continue.

And it's not just that - it also involves her three social media accounts which were scrubbed after the shooting, but some posts on Pinterest had her bragging about "being violent, being short tempered.” She also "bragged about use of force and she spoke out adamantly against things like kneeling and said the NFL died of ‘Colin’ [Kaepernick] cancer.” Guyger also promoted a “one shot, one kill” policy and said everyone was “lucky” if she made it through a week without killing someone.

She had posted some incredibly racist things, including jokes about MLK's assassination, and wanting a "racist German Shepherd", along with idiot statements about killing people.

I went back to continue watching the sidebar in which all of this was being discussed, and got....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40067[/ATTACH]
        Um, how do you post rants on pinterest?!
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

So, yes, the Jury is being allowed to see and know things they were prevented from seeing and knowing during the trial...

Amber Guyger sentencing resumes after murder conviction in death of Botham Jean

Jurors, who are deciding Guyger's punishment, were shown three Pinterest posts that Guyger had saved to her account and commented on. They included the picture of a military sniper with text that read: "Stay low, go fast; kill first, die last; one shot, one kill; no luck, all skill."

In another Pinterest post, Guyger commented under a picture of a Minion from the movie "Despicable Me": "People are so ungrateful. No one ever thanks me for having the patience not to kill them," the comment read.

Guyger texted with another officer last year about Dallas' Martin Luther King Jr. parade.

"When does this end lol," the officer wrote to Guyger.

"When MLK is dead … oh wait …," she joked.

Two days before Guyger fatally shot Jean, she texted with someone who had adopted a German Shepherd.

The dog's owner wrote of the animal: "Although she may be racist."

Guyger responded, "It's okay .. I'm the same," and later added: "I hate everything and everyone but y'all."

Does anybody really think this kind of person deserves to be a police officer?
          You do realize most of the Tweb staff have posted things that sound worse?

1) Trope found on the internet. Teespring offers shirts.

2) Comment? It's actually a meme.

3) Crass.

4) Okay, this one - maybe you have a point.

FYI - because of how Pinterest preloads comments, neither of the first two may have been her comments.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            Um, how do you post rants on pinterest?!
            A) I don't know Pinterest from Plinkrisk. I'm just going by what the prosecution/defense are battling about.
            2) As to your comments here about about most of the Staff posting "worse" stuff? I didn't post the worst stuff - just some samples. And our staff members are not posting in a role as public servants.
            C) She (was) under, essentially, a morals clause with the Dallas PD that prohibited such conduct.
            1V) In this day and age, it's actually jackass stupid moronic for a Police Officer to be posting racist crap on social media - it inflames the public and jeopardizes her Department.

Dallas PD is part of the TCLOE program, and as such, has "best practices" which prohibit such conduct. She had, in fact, been disciplined for a number of other offenses, for which most TCLOE departments would have fired her long ago.

Comment

• Jury is now deliberating sentencing --- they can go 5 to 99 years for murder, or they can invoke the Judge's "sudden passion" component, and go for 2 years.

Comment

• The idea that something is a meme or is popular is not a good defense. I had a co-worker who displayed a picture of Jim Mattis at his workspace with the text "Make killing great again". It turns out this slogan was somewhat popular among military people of a conservative bent, but that doesn't make it right. I think the attitude is borderline demonic. And there are many, many memes out there that are bad. I really hate meme culture in general, to be honest. (I think it's flippant and substitutes for serious thought.)

For better or worse, when you are a police officer, talking about how you hate everybody (especially black people) just isn't going to fly. You're a public servant and held to higher standards. This is especially important at a time when public trust in police is at a low because of so many high profile bad cops (like the guy in Florida who went around planting meth on random motorists, or the many bad shootings).
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  You do realize most of the Tweb staff have posted things that sound worse?

1) Trope found on the internet. Teespring offers shirts.

2) Comment? It's actually a meme.

3) Crass.

4) Okay, this one - maybe you have a point.

FYI - because of how Pinterest preloads comments, neither of of the first two may have been her comments.
                  I'm going to agree with you on the first one, but likely just because I'm biased seeing as my best buddy spent his time in Beirut picking off mortar crews and their spotters ... There was this one guy he was telling me about, how when he finally got the go on him, he just had to wait for him to finish brewing his tea ... didn't wait for him to finish it though. Not worth the risk of the green weenie.

Is the second an actual minion quote?

No way would I stop at "crass" with the third. What is wrong with you?

Yup, me too on the fourth one.

As far as TWeb staff ... no way have most of them posted worse than that endorsement of MLK's shooting. Come on.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  I didn't post the worst stuff - just some samples.
                  That's okay, you've already convinced me.

She (was) under, essentially, a morals clause with the Dallas PD that prohibited such conduct. ... In this day and age, it's actually jackass stupid moronic for a Police Officer to be posting racist crap on social media - it inflames the public and jeopardizes her Department.

Dallas PD is part of the TCLOE program, and as such, has "best practices" which prohibit such conduct. She had, in fact, been disciplined for a number of other offenses, for which most TCLOE departments would have fired her long ago.
                  I've got a full file documenting my objections to one particular post here on TWeb, and I've made it a habit to weigh in against anything even close to that awful in any thread I post ... because without that context, I'd be concerned about any questions that might come from getting doxxed again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Is the second an actual minion quote?
                    Anything can be a "meme" if you type it into an auto text generator.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      Anything can be a "meme" if you type it into an auto text generator.
                      Don't tell anyone, but I've never actually seen a minion movie, so it was an honest question. Probably says something really awful about me, but I can't sit through a comedy.

Comment

Don't tell anyone, but I've never actually seen a minion movie, so it was an honest question. Probably says something really awful about me, but I can't sit through a comedy.
                        I have also never seen a Minion movie.

Comment

I can't sit through *any* movie to be honest with you.

Comment

Neither have I. I visited a church once that was doing a sermon series based on the movies. The entire church was decked out in Minion stuff, and I wasn't sure whether I had mistakenly wandered into some kid's birthday party.

Comment

Thinking it over, I'm gonna modify that last ... I freaking adored The Princess Bride.

But you'd have to go Clockwork Orange on me to get me to watch the Minions.

Comment

Thinking it over, I'm gonna modify that last ... I freaking adored The Princess Bride.

But you'd have to go Clockwork Orange on me to get me to watch the Minions.
                                For some reason, I actually loved "Bug's Life", after watching it about 137 times with my grandkids.

Comment