Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Botham Shem Jean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I have seen nothing so far to excuse this officer's actions. Believe me, I'm looking.
    I mean its like I'm just against cops. If she went in there *for a reason* and not simply by accident. There was a good reason to go in there... I don't know if a cop can do that without permission. But I doubt anyone was calling help from within that house, or anything like that. But if it was something like that, then the shooting would make sense. Then it would be a tragic confrontation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      I mean its like I'm just against cops. If she went in there *for a reason* and not simply by accident. There was a good reason to go in there... I don't know if a cop can do that without permission.
      Without the owner's permission or a warrant, they'd have to be pursuing a felon - otherwise, no.

But I doubt anyone was calling help from within that house, or anything like that. But if it was something like that, then the shooting would make sense. Then it would be a tragic confrontation.
      I think this is a very tragic unjustifiable shooting - still looking for the "but".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard
        I mean its like I'm just against cops.

Should have been "I mean its not like I'm just against cops."

I tend to skip words a lot.

Comment

• Unions play an important role for sure in protecting the rights of the accused, but I think that directly going to the media and making the case (and before the facts are even established) is directly counterproductive, especially in an environment where right or wrong, many people outright mistrust the police.

I sort of have a love hate relationship with my own union. They step in when upper management tries to give us unsafe directives or ignores the contract, but if I told you some of the things they've gotten people their jobs back for doing just in my own office alone...

The news story going around about the marijuana in the guy's apartment seems like a fairly transparent attempt to blame the victim. The fact is that while marijuana is illegal in Texas, it's not a capital offense, so I have little time for that talking point.
          Last edited by KingsGambit; 09-15-2018, 06:09 PM.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            The news story going around about the marijuana in the guy's apartment seems like a fairly transparent attempt to blame the victim. The fact is that while marijuana is illegal in Texas, it's not a capital offense, so I have little time for that talking point.
            Not only that, it had nothing whatsoever to do with the officer entering the apartment - no warrant, no probable cause... nothing.

It's just a smoke screen. (see what I did there? )
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• OK, this is interesting --- according to CNN, the officer said she parked on the wrong floor, went to the wrong apartment, and the door was partly opened.... (1 minute 02 in the video) If that's true, then the whole discussion about keys or whatever is mute. HOWEVER, it would raise your suspicion if you came home and "your" door was partly opened. I don't know about the truth of that part.

In that same video, supposedly, the neighbors heard a pounding on the door, and her saying "open up" (1 minute 20) -- if the door was ajar, why would she need to yell that?

It appears that a search warrant AFTER THE FACT found the marijuana -- again, absolutely nothing to do with the shooting.

The whole things is starting to get even stinkier, I think.

Comment

If that's true, then the whole discussion about keys or whatever is mute.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  yeah, um..... I got nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke
                    It appears that a search warrant AFTER THE FACT found the marijuana -- again, absolutely nothing to do with the shooting.
                    I don't know why that was publicised as it has absolutely nothing to do with the shooting. That sounds more to me like the local police department trying to cast dirt on the victim.

Comment

I don't know why that was publicised as it has absolutely nothing to do with the shooting. That sounds more to me like the local police department trying to cast dirt on the victim.
                      EGGzackly - and I'm wondering why the Texas Rangers - who are allegedly in charge of this case - would allow that to happen.

Comment

EGGzackly - and I'm wondering why the Texas Rangers - who are allegedly in charge of this case - would allow that to happen.
                        I'm probably just going to say stuff here you agree with.

The police are given a lot of leeway. They need this to carry out their duties. If they had to abide by all the rules and restrictions an ordinary civilian would, they could not stop criminals. Even in court rooms when it comes to an officer by accident, or not-so-accident, killing someone in line of duty, they're given leeway and the benefit of the doubt.

And all that is good. It can't be otherwise, or you wouldn't have a police force.

However, one way to very quickly erode public trust in the police is basically just the police abusing those rights and privileges. Here they got a search warrant for that house, likely for good reasons, to gather evidence of what truly happened. But doing so they also gather sensitive information about the victim. They have the power to control that information. Them letting this particular factoid out looks very much like they're trying to protect their reputation. Smoking pot is illegal, and is very bad in peoples mind, I guess is their thinking... I don't know. Or perhaps preempting a court defence that would draw similarities to other cases, where a police shot a person on weed who wasn't quick enough to follow instructions... though such a parallel would be hard to make, seeing as the officer wasn't there legally in the first place, and shot someone in their own home without a warrant.

I have no idea what they were thinking to do that. I mean something like that, the police abusing their rights to control what information gets slipped to the press to make themselves look better, would make me lose a lot of trust in them. Doubtless others.

It would not make them look good to me at all.

Comment

• In fact now I'm wondering if they're tampering with the evidence and covering traces, if they're willing to cast dirt on the victim. I mean we're trusting these people to do a fair investigation, right? Yet why should we if they're not acting in good faith?

This case just stinks.

Comment

In fact now I'm wondering if they're tampering with the evidence and covering traces, if they're willing to cast dirt on the victim. I mean we're trusting these people to do a fair investigation, right? Yet why should we if they're not acting in good faith?

This case just stinks.
                            Yeah, I don't know who's driving this - the Dallas PD seemed fine with turning it over to the Texas Rangers for investigation. That's usually a sign that we know this stinks, or has the potential to look like (or smell like) that.

I think when the police union got involved - and I haven't checked yet, but they may be supplying this officer's attorney - it started getting complicated and confusing.

Comment

Yeah, I don't know who's driving this - the Dallas PD seemed fine with turning it over to the Texas Rangers for investigation. That's usually a sign that we know this stinks, or has the potential to look like (or smell like) that.

I think when the police union got involved - and I haven't checked yet, but they may be supplying this officer's attorney - it started getting complicated and confusing.
                              Yeah, and anyway I've said my peace. Without more to go on I don't think its healthy for me to dwell on this. Its a weird and rather atypical case. And I'll leave it to the courts to sift out the evidence and contradictory statements from witnesses and the accused.

Comment

It was part of the court filing FWIU, and since the media is very interested in the story it was picked up on and reported. Why it was a relevant part of the court filings IDK.
                                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment