Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Botham Shem Jean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    Nontroversy.
    I wish I had said that!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
      I think more is supposed to come out on Monday so I'll hold off any judgment until then.
      We now know this....

A Dallas police officer was arrested Sunday in connection with the shooting death of Botham Shem Jean, the Texas Rangers said.

Amber Guyger, who is white, was off-duty when she shot Jean, a black man, after mistakenly entering his apartment at the complex where she also lived, police said Thursday. Jean, 26, a native of St. Lucia who worked for PricewaterhouseCoopers in Dallas, died at a hospital.

Guyger, 30, of Dallas, was charged with manslaughter, according to jail records. The four-year veteran of the department was released from the Kaufman County Jail on Sunday evening after posting a $300,000 bond. It wasn't immediately clear if Guyger had an attorney.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

FF just wants to make this a racial thing. It was a tragedy, but I bet she would have shot a white guy too if she thought she was in her own apartment and saw a strange person in there.

This is probably going to be an involuntary manslaughter charge.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          IOW, as I said, pretty darn rare.
          Talking to yourself?
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            FF just wants to make this a racial thing. It was a tragedy, but I bet she would have shot a white guy too if she thought she was in her own apartment and saw a strange person in there.

From CNN, citing the Dallas Police Chief...

"A female Dallas police officer returned to what she believed to be her apartment after her shift ended -- she was still in uniform when she encountered Mr. Jean inside the apartment," Dallas Police Chief Ulysha Renee Hall said Thursday.

The police chief said it's unclear what "the interaction was between her and the victim. Then at some point she fired her weapon striking the victim."

The officer called 911 and officers "responded in about four minutes," Hall said.

and

"At the very early stages of this investigation -- initial indications were that they were what we consider circumstances of an officer-involved shooting," Hall said. "However, as we continued this investigation it became clear that we were dealing with what appears to be a much different and very unique situation."

"A much different and very unique situation" sounds interesting.

Comment

Under Texas Penal Code, the choices are murder, capital murder, manslaughter, or criminally negligent homicide.

Murder requires proof of an element of intent.

Texas Penal Code 19.04 – Manslaughter:

(a) A person commits an offense if he recklessly causes the death of an individual.

(b) An offense under this section is a felony of the second degree.

Texas Penal Code – 19.02 Murder:

(a) In this section:

(1) “Adequate cause” means cause that would commonly produce a degree of anger, rage, resentment, or terror in a person of ordinary temper, sufficient to render the mind incapable of cool reflection.

(2) “Sudden passion” means passion directly caused by and arising out of provocation by the individual killed or another acting with the person killed which passion arises at the time of the offense and is not solely the result of former provocation.

(b) A person commits an offense if he:

(1) intentionally or knowingly causes the death of an individual;

(2) intends to cause serious bodily injury and commits an act clearly dangerous to human life that causes the death of an individual;  or

(3) commits or attempts to commit a felony, other than manslaughter, and in the course of and in furtherance of the commission or attempt, or in immediate flight from the commission or attempt, he commits or attempts to commit an act clearly dangerous to human life that causes the death of an individual.

(c) Except as provided by Subsection (d), an offense under this section is a felony of the first degree.

(d) At the punishment stage of a trial, the defendant may raise the issue as to whether he caused the death under the immediate influence of sudden passion arising from an adequate cause.  If the defendant proves the issue in the affirmative by a preponderance of the evidence, the offense is a felony of the second degree.
              Last edited by Cow Poke; 09-10-2018, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                Isolated incident that had nothing to do with her being a cop.
                Oh, I think she most certainly went ‘cop mode’. So, probably everything to do with being a cop.
                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                  Oh, I think she most certainly went ‘cop mode’. So, probably everything to do with being a cop.
                  And I think she went "scared female with a strange man in her house" mode.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    And I think she went "scared female with a strange man in her house" mode.
                    That person would have run off. Too early to tell for sure but I would speculate as follows;
                    Something’s wrong - cop mode - no back up - frightened very tired after long shift cop mode - black face - fire! - realised error - regret mode.

Thing is, someone else trained her and signed her off as fit for duty. Another issue is what are the rules for off duty officers.
                    Last edited by firstfloor; 09-10-2018, 12:14 PM.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

What if all of the apartments use the same generic key?

Comment

That person would have run off. Too early to tell for sure but I would speculate as follows;
                        Something’s wrong - cop mode - no back up - frightened very tired after long shift cop mode - black face - fire! - realised error - regret mode.
                        When frightened, people - even women - have two options - fight or flight. If she thought she was in her own apartment, there's an element of "protect what's mine" - which would push the more likely response to 'fight' instead of 'flight'.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

What if all of the apartments use the same generic key?
                          Definitely will have same type of lock, all the doors will look similar at first glance. I would be surprised if two doors in the same block had the same key.

Comment

Definitely will have same type of lock, all the doors will look similar at first glance. I would be surprised if two doors in the same block had the same key.
                            This doesn't sound like a very high security establishment - other residents claim you can get in with a key or keypad, and seemed not surprised at all about the key issue.

Comment

She was one floor off. The report I heard this morning said that apparently the door was unlocked therefore giving the appearance that she unlocked it. However, Jean, had a red Welcome Mat at his front door, and she doesn't have one. No indication yet whether drinking was involved, the report said she had just come off of a 15 hour shift.

Here's a link to the Dallas Morning News article that details the above info:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dall...-official-says
                              Last edited by Littlejoe; 09-10-2018, 12:46 PM.
                              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                I wish I had said that!
                                People should use it more often.

Nontroversy: A controversy that does not exist until created for political gain. A contraction of non and controversy.

Comment