Thread: Gaps in genealogies

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Gaps in genealogies

Computing the age of the earth by counting genealogies has been a popular way to compute the age of the earth, yet Hebrew genealogies can have gaps in them.

Source: Archaeology and the Old Testament

Matthew 1:8 states that Uzziah was born to Joram, but in 1 Chronicles 3:10-12 three generations of kings (Ahaziah, Joash, and Amaziah) are correctly inserted between Joram and Uzziah. … Similarly, according to Ezra 7:3 Azariah was the son of Meraioth, but in 1 Chronicles 6:6-9 six generations are listed between these two names.

© Copyright Original Source

Source: A Matter of Days

Even in the Genesis 5 and 11 genealogies, where the years between the birth dates of the father and the son are given, the chronology is not as tight as it may appear at first glance. Luke 3, for example, inserts at least one generation, namely Cainan, between Shelah and Arphaxad, while Genesis 11 simply records Shelah as the “son” of Arphaxad.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

2. Amen LostSheep amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Matthew's genealogy is pretty obviously set up to be numerologically significant; I just saw today an attestation that Luke's is as well (72 generations from Adam to Christ), but haven't checked that yet myself.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I haven't researched the chronology myself but I've been interested in the chronologies at ldolphin.org

http://ldolphin.org/barrychron.html

http://ldolphin.org/sewell/sewellchron.html

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Different versions (Masoretic, Septuagint and Samaritan) all have substantially different dates/life spans:

ETA: Oops just realized where this is posted so I'll bow out and sorry that the second chart doesn't embiggen.

ETA2: Let's see if this helps
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rogue06; 09-10-2018 at 03:06 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Different versions (Masoretic, Septuagint and Samaritan) all have substantially different dates/life spans:

The chart whiffed on its definition of "Samaritans".

ETA: Also, the Septuagint numbering cannot be correct, since according to its calculations Methuselah was born 955 years before the flood (167 to Lamech +188 to Noah +600 years), meaning that he would've survived it to live 969 years.
    Last edited by One Bad Pig; 09-10-2018 at 03:51 PM.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Matthew's genealogy is pretty obviously set up to be numerologically significant; I just saw today an attestation that Luke's is as well (72 generations from Adam to Christ), but haven't checked that yet myself.
    The 4 names omitted in Matthews account can be shown for cause.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Computing the age of the earth by counting genealogies has been a popular way to compute the age of the earth, yet Hebrew genealogies can have gaps in them.

Source: Archaeology and the Old Testament

Matthew 1:8 states that Uzziah was born to Joram, but in 1 Chronicles 3:10-12 three generations of kings (Ahaziah, Joash, and Amaziah) are correctly inserted between Joram and Uzziah. … Similarly, according to Ezra 7:3 Azariah was the son of Meraioth, but in 1 Chronicles 6:6-9 six generations are listed between these two names.

Source: A Matter of Days

Even in the Genesis 5 and 11 genealogies, where the years between the birth dates of the father and the son are given, the chronology is not as tight as it may appear at first glance. Luke 3, for example, inserts at least one generation, namely Cainan, between Shelah and Arphaxad, while Genesis 11 simply records Shelah as the “son” of Arphaxad.

Blessings,
    Lee
    In the book of Jude Enoch is seventh from Adam (Jude 14). The gap is noted only in Luke with the giving of one name.

The continents separations are dated some 200 to 300 million years ago. So that could be post creation (the 6 days) and post flood some time before Abraham. I am open on this.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Are you saying that the Flood happened millions of years before humans or that the continents split quickly without somehow killing everything?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It seems that the chronologies on the ldolphin.org website have identified the gaps and had also justified which scriptures (and chronologies) had more relevant time data.

I didn't notice the uncertainties specified for the dates on my quick examination of the chronologies before posting the links. But I remember that tolerances were added on calculated dates.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Are you saying that the Flood happened millions of years before humans or that the continents split quickly without somehow killing everything?
    Animals were made on the 5th day, man on the 6th. What is deemed flood fossils by YEC are the same fossils on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean. Which has been separating for some 300 million years. So that would make Noah and the flood about some 300 million years ago.