Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The EU is singlehandedly killing the Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The EU is singlehandedly killing the Internet

What the heck is up with these idiots? Who decided to let some old farts who don't even know how to turn on their phone determine how the internet should work.

First they pretty much screw everything up with their new privacy requirements, now they are going to basically make it so search engines can't even link to half of the internet. Or won't.

EU approves controversial internet copyright law, including ‘link tax’ and ‘upload filter’

The European Parliament has voted on changes to the Copyright Directive, a piece of legislation intended to update copyright for the internet age. In a session this morning, MEPs approved amended versions of the directive’s most controversial provisions: Articles 11 and 13, dubbed by critics as the “link tax” and “upload filter.”

Article 11 is intended to give publishers and newspapers a way to make money when companies like Google link to their stories, while Article 13 requires platforms like YouTube and Facebook to scan uploaded content to stop the unlicensed sharing of copyrighted material. Critics say these two provisions pose a dire threat to the free flow of information online, and will be open to abuse by copyright trolls and censors.

Basically what this means is that Google and other search engines would have to PAY a fee to link to copyrighted source, such as newspaper articles or photos, or music, or movies, etc. That means most likely the search engines will just not link to them. At least over in the EU. And since the Berne convention says everything is copyrighted unless specifically stated otherwise, that pretty much excludes everything. Search engines are providing a service to websites by driving traffic to them, they sure aren't going to PAY websites to index their content. And at the same time they are being told to filter OUT copyrighted information (which is everything)

A total mess is on its way.

I'm impressed by how monumentally stupid that is.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Even sillier is that such a measure is easily circumvented with the use of a VPN.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Well, it ain't over til... um... the plus size female... sings...

EU Parliament passes copyright reform, but fate of controversial ‘link tax’ and ‘upload filter’ uncertain

The European Union Parliament voted overwhelmingly to approve a copyright reform that includes two hotly debated measures critics have dubbed catastrophic for an open internet. But while the vote was a disappointment to opponents, it is also far from the final word on the matter.

The vote on Wednesday is what the EU calls a negotiating position. The measure now goes to a process called “trilogue,” which is a negotiation between the EU Council and the Commission, where the details could change again. Once an agreement is hammered out, the EU Parliament will vote again, likely sometime early next year.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Who thought it was a smart ideal to let politicians decide the fate of the internet?

I think all this nonsense is just going to isolate the EU from the rest of the world's internet. At some point the USA and other countries will stop bowing to their insane regulations and just leave them to themselves.

Build the Firewall!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Who thought it was a smart ideal to let politicians decide the fate of the internet?

I think all this nonsense is just going to isolate the EU from the rest of the world's internet. At some point the USA and other countries will stop bowing to their insane regulations and just leave them to themselves.

Build the Firewall!!
            No need to build a firewall when they're building it themselves.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

So it gets worse!

EU will fine social media sites for lingering extremism
              Those who fail to act quickly could face fines of up to 4 percent of annual turnover

The EU has been threatening to take action against online platforms that fail to remove extremist content within an hour for the most part of the year -- and now we know what form its punishment will take. The likes of Google, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube could be slapped with fines as high as 4 percent of annual turnover, revealed European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker.

"One hour is the decisive time window the greatest damage takes place," Juncker said in his annual State of the Union address to the European Parliament -- his words echoing the Commission's previous warning to tech firms to step up their actions in March.

The move follows Germany's hefty hate speech penalty (known as the Network Enforcement Act) that requires platforms to cough up around $58 million if they don't remove posts containing hate speech within 24 hours, or seven days for "complex cases". But that timeframe seems like a luxury compared to the new rules the EC is urging.

As part of the proposal, which still needs the thumbs up from EU countries and the European Parliament, platforms will have one hour to remove content flagged as advocating extremist offences, promoting extremist groups, or instructions on how to commit such acts.

In addition, the EC is pushing for more human oversight when it comes to content moderation and new tools to weed out abuse. These services will also be required to provide annual transparency reports on their efforts. Platforms will, however, have the right to challenge removal orders.

Of course, the biggest companies (Facebook, Microsoft, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, and Snap) are already working together on a shared industry hash database, where they can create "digital fingerprints" for terrorist content and share them with other participants. YouTube has also previously said that it removes 83 percent of "terrorist content" before it's flagged. Whether smaller firms, which lack the manpower and revenue of their corporate counterparts, will fare as well remains to be seen.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/12/...ing-extremism/

Who determines if something is "extreme" or "hate speech?"

And 1 hour? AND they want human oversight?

This smacks of the EU just wanting to make more money from fines. They are asking for something that is nearly impossible. Plus open to abuse. You will have people flagging things they just don't like and the social media companies being forced to remove them without even checking since they only have 1 hour to do so.

Comment

Are they so ignorant of the interntezweb that they actually think people are too stupid to get around these idiot attempts at control?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Are they so ignorant of the interntezweb that they actually think people are too stupid to get around these idiot attempts at control?
                  It's like they couldn't set up a system more ripe for abuse if they tried.

sigpic

Comment

So Europe is trying to become a totalitarian police state. Nice.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I liked GDPR because it was about returning control to people, and make it harder for companies to do tracking. But this is the opposite this is a stupid law, mostly backed by idiotic Music Companies and the like, who wants the law to crack down on uploads.

Originally posted by Mountain Man
                      Even sillier is that such a measure is easily circumvented with the use of a VPN.
                      No I'm afraid not. Because the blame is actually on the website accepting the upload. Doesn't matter if its from an anonymous source. The server it is being uploaded to, must somehow verify, proactively, that the image doesn't violate copyright protection. Its possible, but it would require basically a deep image search for every single image upload, before the upload is accepted. This means huge upfront costs, as small companies will have to pay for these services, and users will experience longer upload times.

Originally posted by Sparko
                      This smacks of the EU just wanting to make more money from fines. They are asking for something that is nearly impossible. Plus open to abuse. You will have people flagging things they just don't like and the social media companies being forced to remove them without even checking since they only have 1 hour to do so.
                      Its already fairly abusable as it is, but this takes it to the nth degree. I'm very much against this.

Comment

Unless this law is hollowed out by amendments, I might apply for US citizenship and head over to you guys.

Thankfully some exceptions to it were already granted for certain websites. Wikipedia for instance received a specific exemption.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                          I liked GDPR because it was about returning control to people, and make it harder for companies to do tracking.
                          And making sure our personal information is protected, not shared, not used for other purposes than the original purpose and so on. It is a very important piece of legislation. There are and will continue to be cases in which it will have some not so positive consequences but that does not change the fact that it was very much needed.
                          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                            And making sure our personal information is protected, not shared, not used for other purposes than the original purpose and so on. It is a very important piece of legislation. There are and will continue to be cases in which it will have some not so positive consequences but that does not change the fact that it was very much needed.
                            You remember all those new user privacy agreements you had to accept recently from Google et al? You basically just gave them permission to do what they always did anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                              As I said it was a good piece of legislation, but this? Article 11 and 13 of the E-Commerce Law? Those are awful.

Comment