Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Hurricane Florence is all Trump's Fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meanwhile, those CRAZY weather men...

Weather guy is straining against the wind, while passers by just walk calmly down the street in the background.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Meanwhile, those CRAZY weather men...

Weather guy is straining against the wind, while passers by just walk calmly down the street in the background.

Seems there is at least one of those with every hurricane.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Meanwhile, those CRAZY weather men...

He's also straining in the wrong direction. Based on the direction debris is flying, the wind is at his back, but he's bracing himself as if it were at his front.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Seem people seem to enjoy it.

Comment

I think you're confusing "allowing adversity" (which is in the title of your cite) with your perversion of it as a "passion" for it.

Google something else, and let's try that.
            The article looks at God’s purpose behind adversity. Some people are strengthened by overcoming adversity and others are crushed by it. Adversity, being from God is given an elevated status. What I mean is that Christians feel blessed by adversity if they overcome it and those that fail God’s test are undeserving.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              The article looks at God’s purpose behind adversity. Some people are strengthened by overcoming adversity and others are crushed by it. Adversity, being from God is given an elevated status. What I mean is that Christians feel blessed by adversity if they overcome it and those that fail God’s test are undeserving.
              Which is a FAR hoot, holler and cry from your original nutter statement....

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              Is this passion for adversity and the meaning derived from it, not the heart and soul of Christianity?
              We don't (at least I don't) have a 'passion' for adversity, but am prepared for it when it comes, and rejoice in God's power to overcome it.

And your "Adversity, being from God" is a bit misguided. The article mentions that God ALLOWS adversity, not that he originates or sends it on us. Hence, the article's name... "What are God’s purposes for allowing adversity in my life?"

Come on, Google something else - this is fun.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Which is a FAR hoot, holler and cry from your original nutter statement....

We don't (at least I don't) have a 'passion' for adversity, but am prepared for it when it comes, and rejoice in God's power to overcome it.

And your "Adversity, being from God" is a bit misguided. The article mentions that God ALLOWS adversity, not that he originates or sends it on us. Hence, the article's name... "What are God’s purposes for allowing adversity in my life?"

Come on, Google something else - this is fun.
                I agree that God is ‘hands off’. That is to say, that whatever ‘God’ is, ‘He’ is inert, according to the evidence. That is what ALLOWS is equivalent to. So, while we pray, ‘He’ sits on ‘His’ hands and just allows things to happen as if ‘He’ was asleep.

This looks like the age old ‘problem of evil’. Only theists have this problem.
                Last edited by firstfloor; 09-21-2018, 04:32 AM.
                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

I agree that God is ‘hands off’.
                  Never said that. Don't believe that. Dishonest of you to imply that.

That is to say, that whatever ‘God’ is, ‘He’ is inert, according to the evidence.
                  You mean, according to your opinion.

That is what ALLOWS is equivalent to. So, while we pray, ‘He’ sits on ‘His’ hands and just allows things to happen as if ‘He’ was asleep.

You're certainly entitled to be wrong, and to be disingenuous in doing so.

Comment

FF exhibits some classic black or white thinking here. For him it is all or nothing with no middle ground. Either God is manipulating everything in the tiniest of detail or he is doing absolutely nothing.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• So, to answer his question that started this little rabbit chase...

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      Is this passion for adversity and the meaning derived from it, not the heart and soul of Christianity?

https://iblp.org/questions/what-are-...ersity-my-life
                      Yes, it is not.

Comment

I agree that God is ‘hands off’. That is to say, that whatever ‘God’ is, ‘He’ is inert, according to the evidence. That is what ALLOWS is equivalent to. So, while we pray, ‘He’ sits on ‘His’ hands and just allows things to happen as if ‘He’ was asleep.

Why do so many non Christians assume their worldview is true and than try to attack Christian theological understandings? The problem of evil is only an issue if you assume atheism is true by default.
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Is it the case that God plays His part when you give him credit for overcoming adversity?

Comment

Is it the case that God plays His part when you give him credit for overcoming adversity?
                            God doesn't "play parts".

Comment

God doesn't "play parts".
                              But I think what we have discovered is that adversity is random chance, human error and so on, and God helps you to clear up the mess, overcome and so on.

Comment

But I think what we have discovered is that adversity is random chance, human error and so on, and God helps you to clear up the mess, overcome and so on.
                                You're certainly entitled to that opinion.

Comment