Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Time To Smear Kavanaugh's Good Name...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Well no, there was demonstrably more than the one line to which you responded, if "response" is the correct word. There were two paragraphs, which apparently you were unable to argue against. But why should you bother? You got what you wanted and we all know you opportunistic Evangelicals don’t care what it takes to get your own way.
    Smarmy rant noted, and not worth argument.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
      So, presumably you believe we should have said, "No way we will vote for this or any other immoral person!" Presumably you would have found that to be laudable.

Would you find the following similarly praiseworthy?

-- "No way we will vote for a Roman Catholic!"

-- "No way we will vote for an Orthodox believer!"

-- "No way we will vote for a Jew!"

-- "No way we will vote for a Mormon!"

-- "No way we will vote for a Jehovah's Witness!"

-- "No way we will vote for an atheist or any other infidel!"
      Yeah, if the catholic, the jew, the mormo, the athiest or whatever, was an immoral, mysogynistic, sexual molesting, thieving, treasonous, autocrat it would be praiseworthy, as you put it, for evangelicals not to have voted for him. But as we can see, the sheep are led by the wolves.

Comment

Well no, there was demonstrably more than the one line to which you responded, if "response" is the correct word. There were two paragraphs, which apparently you were unable to argue against. But why should you bother? You got what you wanted and we all know you opportunistic Evangelicals don’t care what it takes to get your own way.

“Why Evangelicals Support President Trump, Despite His Immorality.”

http://time.com/5161349/president-tr...-slaveholders/

But whilst you may win the battle you are losing the war and it’s your own fault.

“Trends are unmistakable. According to polls conducted by the Pew Foundation, 23 percent of Generation X Americans (born between 1965-1980) claim no religious affiliation. That number rises to 34 percent of older millennials (born between 1981-1989), and to 36 percent of younger millennials (born between 1990 and 1996). Although the retreat from traditional forms of Christianity has long been apparent in western European countries, the pattern of a declining attachment to religion in the young is unprecedented in American history.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/blame-...hristian-faith
        I didnt have time to read the articles yet Tassman, but a large part of Trump's support is not based on what he is, but rather what he is not. A huge motivation here is to push back against the blatant hostility to the ideals and morals of a large segment of the Christian population that is expressed by many on the left and in the MSM. The departure you menton of the younger population can be seen at least in part as being the immersion of the younger generation into an media virtual environment that rarely, if ever, presents in a positive light Christian faith or the moral values that served to make western society and America itself what they are.

Jim
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          You are presenting a logical fallacy know as the false dichotomy. There are many more choices than blind support vs absoute rejection.

One of the alternates would be to push back hard on Trump when he veers into immoral territory, or when he acts unwisely. To let him know beyond a shadow of a doubt that any support he got was just because of the two available choices he happened to be a slightly better choice overall, but by no means a good choice.

Jim
          Should we also "push back hard" against those politicians who are Catholics, Mormons, Jews, etc., just because their beliefs are incompatible with Evangelicalism, at least as much as Trump's behavior is supposedly incompatible with Evangelicalism?
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Should we also "push back hard" against those politicians who are Catholics, Mormons, Jews, etc., just because their beliefs are incompatible with Evangelicalism, at least as much as Trump's behavior is supposedly incompatible with Evangelicalism?
            I said ventures into immorality or acts unwisely. So no, I am not implying we pushback against politicians of moral character but of a different faith.

Jim
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
              This isn't a criminal trial Terraceth, it's a confirmation hearing for a lifetime seat on the SC.
              That's true. That also has nothing to do with my post.

To believe that Kavanaugh wasn't lying about all of the above would be to believe that he is extremely stupid and in either case its disqualifying. The point is that Kavanaugh obviously isn't stupid, so it is more likely than not, even if you don't have absolute proof, that he was lying.
              You didn't say "more likely than not." You asserted he was definitely lying, which is different.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                I can say that Trump's push for turkey to release the pastor was a good thing. I think his position on Israel is good. He does seem to have been good for the economy. His desire to tighten the borders is good, the implementation notwithstanding.

Jim
                Thanks - I appreciate this.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

So, presumably you believe we should have said, "No way we will vote for this or any other immoral person!" Presumably you would have found that to be laudable.
                  The argument is that “no way will we vote for this or any other immoral person" just to get a conservative Justice on the Supreme Court come what may. This is the issue. Despite Machiavelli’s dictum, the end does NOT justify the means if the “means” are hypocritical or immoral. It is also self defeating in that those behaving this way lose the moral high ground they claim to uphold.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

The argument is that “no way will we vote for this or any other immoral person" just to get a conservative Justice on the Supreme Court come what may. This is the issue. Despite Machiavelli’s dictum, the end does NOT justify the means if the “means” are hypocritical or immoral. It is also self defeating in that those behaving this way lose the moral high ground they claim to uphold.
                    Many of us viewed both of the possible candidates as much less than desirable. One of them, however, had the potential for delivering a less leftist activist SCOTUS.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• The way I see it, Trump is flawed, but Hillary is evil. It wasn't a hard choice.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        Yeah, if the catholic, the jew, the mormo, the athiest or whatever, was an immoral, mysogynistic, sexual molesting, thieving, treasonous, autocrat it would be praiseworthy, as you put it, for evangelicals not to have voted for him. But as we can see, the sheep are led by the wolves.
                        Kind of like Kennedy was?
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          The way I see it, Trump is flawed, but Hillary is evil. It wasn't a hard choice.
                          Not just flawed but seriously flawed -- yet still better than the alternative.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Not just flawed but seriously flawed -- yet still better than the alternative.
                            Lowest bar ever.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• The less evil of two lessers
                              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Lowest bar ever.
                                Crapiest choices, although, surprisingly, for the most part I'm happy with what he's accomplished.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment