Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Time To Smear Kavanaugh's Good Name...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    I don't want to waste time on tangents
    Of course you don’t because you don’t care about the total lack of due process and how democrats attempted to railroad a man based on his politics and are trying to make him sound ‘illegitimate’ based on unconfirmed claims that he did something 35 years ago that nobody else seems to remember happening. I understand why you don’t want this ‘tangent’ because it reveals the problem with the entire episode and it’s guilty till proven innocent way it’s been going.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      Of course you don’t because you don’t care about the total lack of due process and how democrats attempted to railroad a man based on his politics and are trying to make him sound ‘illegitimate’ based on unconfirmed claims that he did something 35 years ago that nobody else seems to remember happening. I understand why you don’t want this ‘tangent’ because it reveals the problem with the entire episode and it’s guilty till proven innocent way it’s been going.
      Again, since I have already noted (several times) that both parties have engaged in this "take a side" posturing without adequate evidence, all you're doing is taking a side and acting as if I have as well. I have not. I have been clear that I believe both Kavanaugh and Ford were poorly treated.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Again, since I have already noted (several times) that both parties have engaged in this "take a side" posturing without adequate evidence, all you're doing is taking a side and acting as if I have as well. I have not. I have been clear that I believe both Kavanaugh and Ford were poorly treated.
        And yet one is being made a hero by the media and the other a villain with promises to impeach if elected. What side is it?
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

And yet one is being made a hero by the media and the other a villain with promises to impeach if elected. What side is it?
          Neither. Anyone "taking sides" at this point is doing so on inadequate information. IMO, both sides should be ashamed of themselves for letting their biases and political predilections govern their decision-making on such an issue.
          Last edited by carpedm9587; 10-09-2018, 05:43 PM.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            Do you know Ford's general demeanor well enough to know that isn't her normal persona?

I personally know several very intelligent and successful women in their careers that present a very similar demeanor when stressed or sometimes just in everyday conversation. It's just who they are.

What evidence do you have other than your own disdain for her that you are correct in your assessment this aspect of her testimony was false?
            It's further worth pointing out that studies and tests have constantly shown that humans are actually pretty bad at telling if someone is lying based on body language/demeanor; that is, so bad you might as well flip a coin to guess at it. Attempting to assess whether someone is telling the truth or not based on their demeanor is, contrary to what you'll often see in fiction, essentially an exercise in futility.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
              It's further worth pointing out that studies and tests have constantly shown that humans are actually pretty bad at telling if someone is lying based on body language/demeanor; that is, so bad you might as well flip a coin to guess at it. Attempting to assess whether someone is telling the truth or not based on their demeanor is, contrary to what you'll often see in fiction, essentially an exercise in futility.
              You never met my mother.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The FBI investigation was widely regarded as “incomplete”, i.e. it was not a thorough investigation with many of the witnesses who were willing to come forward not being interviewed. This was a disservice to both sides and will leave a cloud over Kavanaugh for the rest of his career.
                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Look, man, you're casting your net far too wide. Nobody is saying that victims of rape and other sexual assaults should keep silent. But that doesn't justify women like Ford, Ramirez, and Swetnick making obviously false and malicious accusations against an innocent man.

And speaking of Swetnick, a commentator on CNN is blaming her lawyer, Michael Aventi, for pushing the ridiculous "gang rape" narrative and hurting "the Democratic effort to bring down Kavanaugh’s nomination".

https://www.breitbart.com/big-journa...ing-kavanaugh/

Well, at least he was honest about what they were trying to do.
                  Both Sparko and LPoT have told me that rape victims should not name their rapists if they don't have any evidence.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  More like:

A: "This man robbed me!"
                  B: "No I didn't!"
                  Officer: "And what evidence do you have that he robbed you?"
                  A: "Well, I'm accusing him, aren't I? That's more than enough evidence to start an investigation."
                  Officer: "You don't understand the burden of proof, do you sir?"
                  A: "The burden of what now?"
                  Officer: "Have a good evening, sir."
                  An accusation is enough evidence to spur a police officer to investigate. The lack of corroborating evidence can either indicate that the claim was false or prevent even an interested officer from investigating. Either way, I don't see the categorical difference between something that begins an investigation and something that renews an investigation.

Comment

WeÂ’ve tried the system of guilty till proven innocent. Did you not pay attention in your history class at the results? Mercy and protection of the innocent is just as important, if not more so, than justice and punishment of the guilty. If you want to live under your idiotic rules, try North Korea. Perhaps 20 years of hard labor for the crime of having dust on the picture of the dear leader might be enough to show you why guilty till proven innocent is a dumb idea.
                    You are conflating social and legal consequences. I have not been arguing that accusations without evidence should necessarily have legal repercussions.

And if a life can be destroyed by a mere accusation, would it stay that way? And we’ve also been through this and you ignored it, your claim only measures those accusations were credible evidence of a crime might have occurred. It didn’t take into account the claims that were unable to be verified. Ignoring that detail doesn’t make go away, no matter how much you wish that detail would disappear.
                    I didn't ignore it, I asked you to provide the page number of the report so I can have the specific context of your objection.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      The FBI investigation was widely regarded as “incomplete”, i.e. it was not a thorough investigation with many of the witnesses who were willing to come forward not being interviewed. This was a disservice to both sides and will leave a cloud over Kavanaugh for the rest of his career.
                      It is safe to say that no matter what the left would have found something to complain about and used it as an excuse to dismiss it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        It is safe to say that no matter what the left would have found something to complain about and used it as an excuse to dismiss it.
                        Even if this is true, and it’s not, it’s very hard to form a reasonable judgement when the information is limited and incomplete. Numerous witnesses and close acquaintances from the day, made themselves available for interview, but were ignored by the FBI, acting under the direction of Trump who falsely claimed that the FBI had “free rein” on the investigation,
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Idiotic Missile View Post
                          An accusation is enough evidence to spur a police officer to investigate. The lack of corroborating evidence can either indicate that the claim was false or prevent even an interested officer from investigating. Either way, I don't see the categorical difference between something that begins an investigation and something that renews an investigation.
                          Every accusation does not start on equal footing. If I accuse you of breaking into a house, but I can't say when it happened or where it happened, or even who's house was broken into, the police would maybe take my statement, and that would be the end of it, because there would be nothing to investigate.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                            Both Sparko and LPoT have told me that rape victims should not name their rapists if they don't have any evidence.
                            That’s a lie. I said people shouldn’t have their lives destroyed without evidence of wrongdoings.

And if one is done and no evidence is found, is it okay to than destroy a life based on unbacked claims?
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                              You are conflating social and legal consequences. I have not been arguing that accusations without evidence should necessarily have legal repercussions.
                              Destroying a persons career, family, and life over unconfirmed accusations can have legal repercussions.

I didn't ignore it, I asked you to provide the page number of the report so I can have the specific context of your objection.
                              Read it for yourself, only ones that went to trial are counted. Police and the DA are pretty good at bringing cases with merit to trial and tend to not bring ones that have little merit to trial. The only reason Dr Ford’s accusation made it as far is because of who was accused. If she had accused an average person, I doubt it would have gone as far as it did since her case has no evidence and no named witnesses remember it happened.
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Democrats (2016): “Questioning the FBI is an attack on America’s institutions by that dangerous Donald Trump!”

Democrats (2018): “The FBI is courrupted!”

The democrats were hoping for a long and drawn out FBI investigation in order to push it out past November, so the could maybe win the senate and get their own pick. This was never about the truth, but holding onto power so they could keep using the courts to push through what they can’t at the ballet box. Why do you think they fear an over turn of Roe vs Wade?
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment