Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Time To Smear Kavanaugh's Good Name...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
    In what way? Yes, the Repoublicans are almost certain to keep the Senate, but the Democrats seem more likely than not to take the House. The Republicans pulling off an upset victory and keeping the House is of course a possibility (then again, so is the Democrats pulling off an upset victory and winning the Senate), but I'm confused where the idea that it seems very likely the Republicans will maintain control of congress is coming from. The most likely result is Democrat control of the House and Republican control of the Senate.
    There's optimism on both sides. Hope springs eternal, and the Democrats haven't exactly been putting a damper on things lately.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
      In what way? Yes, the Repoublicans are almost certain to keep the Senate, but the Democrats seem more likely than not to take the House. The Republicans pulling off an upset victory and keeping the House is of course a possibility (then again, so is the Democrats pulling off an upset victory and winning the Senate), but I'm confused where the idea that it seems very likely the Republicans will maintain control of congress is coming from. The most likely result is Democrat control of the House and Republican control of the Senate.
      I will grant you that that it isn’t a done deal, but they sure seem determined to grab defeat from the jaws of victory. First they failed smear campaign likely cost them the senate and a few house seats and than this latest idiocy with Elizabeth Warren that should have remained buried. If this keeps up, the Democrats might kiss the house goodbye.
      Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 10-16-2018, 08:04 PM.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        There's optimism on both sides. Hope springs eternal, and the Democrats haven't exactly been putting a damper on things lately.
        The Democrats do seem rather determined to fire up their opponents and hand congress over for another 2 years.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          When it comes to politics, it’s cynicism that springs eternal for me.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            When it comes to politics, it’s cynicism that springs eternal for me.
            Can't imagine why.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
              There is a big difference, dopey. They both have a history, and there is nothing in Dr. Ford's history to suggest she is lying, there is plenty in Kavanaughs history to suggest that he is. Neither one of them is on trial criminally, something you Kavanaugh supporters don't seem to understand, it is a which of the two is more likely to be telling the truth hearing, and that turns out to be Dr. Ford.
              At least the whole the moronic "job interview" claim has been abandoned.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                You just hate it that Trump made a promise and actually kept his word.
                Oh, the compulsive liar kept his word, how noble. Actually all Trump did was cynically pander to his opportunistic Evangelical base, that’s all.

Unfortunately for you anti-Christian bigots - he's been doing a lot of that lately. And BIGLY!
                And the national deficit skyrockets unsustainably to pay for his “BIGLY” wins.

Well of course you don’t care. After all, you Evangelicals all are the ones that voted in droves for a man who boasts about grabbing women’s genitals. So why would you worry about a belligerent, drunken frat-boy attempting to rape an innocent girl at a party, as seems likely to be the case?
                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  And the national deficit skyrockets unsustainably to pay for his “BIGLY” wins.
                  A tax and spend liberal lecturing US about the deficit!! You idiots are why we are needing to spend so much to repair the state of the country through gutting our military and such.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    A tax and spend liberal lecturing US about the deficit!! You idiots are why we are needing to spend so much to repair the state of the country through gutting our military and such.
                    This is nothing but partisan bull and blustering*:

The deficits rose precipitously under the bush years. The last time we took in more than we spent was under Bill Clinton. Trump gave us a tax cut, but without a reduction in government spending or sufficient corporate income to increase total tax revenue overall, the impact of that is increasing deficit spending.

These are the simple facts. It's not what I wish was true, but it is what IS true.

Source: (Obama era but still pertinent) CNN Fact check

Fact Check: Who was president the last time the budget was balanced?

- The U.S. government suffered budget deficits every year from 1970 through 1997.
                    - Democrat Bill Clinton was president in 1998, when the government finally recorded a surplus.
                    - There also were budget surpluses in 1999, 2000 and in 2001. 2001 was the last year the Clinton administration proposed the budget.
                    - Republican George W. Bush succeeded Clinton in 2001. The United States had a budget deficit in 2002, and it has recorded budget deficits every year since. The deficit is projected to increase substantially this year under President Barack Obama.
                    - Republicans say they should get at least some of the credit for the balanced budgets during the Clinton administration, because Republican majorities controlled both the House and Senate.

© Copyright Original Source

Jim

*As long as intelligent people like those on this site continue to side with party and politics over the facts, there is no real hope for where we are headed as a nation and a people.
                    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-17-2018, 07:58 AM.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

The deficits rose precipitously under the bush years. The last time we took in more than we spent was under Bill Clinton. Trump gave us a tax cut, but without a reduction in government spending or sufficient corporate income to increase total tax revenue overall, the impact of that is increasing deficit spending.

These are the simple facts. It's not what I wish was true, but it is what IS true.

- The U.S. government suffered budget deficits every year from 1970 through 1997.
                      - Democrat Bill Clinton was president in 1998, when the government finally recorded a surplus.
                      - There also were budget surpluses in 1999, 2000 and in 2001. 2001 was the last year the Clinton administration proposed the budget.
                      - Republican George W. Bush succeeded Clinton in 2001. The United States had a budget deficit in 2002, and it has recorded budget deficits every year since. The deficit is projected to increase substantially this year under President Barack Obama.
                      - Republicans say they should get at least some of the credit for the balanced budgets during the Clinton administration, because Republican majorities controlled both the House and Senate.

Jim

*As long as intelligent people like those on this site continue to side with party and politics over the facts, there is no real hope for where we are headed as a nation and a people.
                      Strange how multiple attacks on American soil that forces you into war can do that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Jim

Remind me again...who controls the money is our system?

I don't fault GW Bush, Obama, or Trump, nor do I give credit to Clinton because all they can do is propose, congress actually spends the money.

https://www.cato.org/publications/co...balance-budget
                        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                          Remind me again...who controls the money is our system?

I don't fault GW Bush, Obama, or Trump, nor do I give credit to Clinton because all they can do is propose, congress actually spends the money.

https://www.cato.org/publications/co...balance-budget
                          The topic was Trumps tax cut ballooning the deficit, to which was replied a rebuke for 'liberals' lecturing on spending, to which I pointed out the only period where the US has not had a deficit since 1970 came under the most despised (by conservatives) liberal president of them all, Bill Clinton. The Republicans have controlled congress and the senate how many times since then?

Jim
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

The topic was Trumps tax cut ballooning the deficit, to which was replied a rebuke for 'liberals' lecturing on spending, to which I pointed out the only period where the US has not had a deficit since 1970 came under the most despised (by conservatives) liberal president of them all, Bill Clinton. The Republicans have controlled congress and the senate how many times since then?

Jim
                            Yes, I agree, we have to do better making our congress people understand that we won't tolerate deficit spending any longer. You and I both know that the President can only veto a budget plan which puts all the federal workers on furlough. This gets everyone screaming.
                            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                              Yes, I agree, we have to do better making our congress people understand that we won't tolerate deficit spending any longer. You and I both know that the President can only veto a budget plan which puts all the federal workers on furlough. This gets everyone screaming.
                              Yep. It takes them all working together (not gonna happen). I honestly don't know how to motivate the public in such a way as to actually create change in this arena. To many divided interests and all of them willing to take money that hasn't been earned yet.

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                                Perfect example of the dumbed down republican voter. Take a look at the history BTC, the democrats who aren't always droning on about the debt are the ones who actually bring it down, the republicans on the other hand, who never shut up about it, when they get into office and have the power to do something about it, just like Trump, they couldn't care any less about the debt any more and spend like the world will end tomorrow on their own pet projects like unecessary wars, and huge tax cuts for their wealthy benefactors.

Comment