Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Time To Smear Kavanaugh's Good Name...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

What's to consider? Ford has already said she has no additional info to proffer. She has provided no contemporaneous corroborating witnesses. She has provided no contemporaneous legal, medical, or personal documents supporting her claims. The only person she has named in addition to Kavanaugh explicitly denies her claims. There is no pattern of behavior on the part of Kavanaugh in succeeding decades to suggest avenues of inquiry, let alone guilt. There is no way to move it beyond "He said, She said."
    Last edited by Tassman; 09-20-2018, 04:33 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Ya know, I went through a rebellious streak. I am thankful it was short-lived (maybe 18 months at best) but as much mischief as my friend Roy and I foisted on the world, ...
      I categorically deny everything.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

You referred to him as a rapist, and couldn't man up and admit to that.
        He didn't. I'd have thought you at least could unravel the subtle distinction.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          An FBI investigation is the least one could expect. It's standard procedure.
          No it isn't. It is way outside the FBI's purview. This is entirely a matter for local law enforcement but they really have little to go on since the accuser is confused as to where the alleged attempted assault took place (also how she got there), when it took place and who was involved (was it one, two or four people) or who was even there.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• That's a good question. I have no idea why she is putting so much on the line to lie about Kavanaugh, but by all accounts, that seems to be exactly what she's doing. Don't ask me to explain it.

Also, a third person who was identified by Ford as being at the party has come forward to say that he has no knowledge of any such party. So that's three people who were supposedly there - Kavanaugh, Judge, and now Smyth - all firmly denying it.

https://www.redstate.com/prevaila/20...lt-allegation/

This is in addition to the fact that the story she told her therapist is notably different from the one she's telling today, and that she can't remember key details, namely when it happened, where it happened, how she got there, etc. There are far too many discrepancies and missing details for her accusations to be credible.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              In the best tradition of "blame the victim" as per Trump, 'quelle surprise'.
              Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              to the extent that her family has had to go into hiding.
              According to her lawyer. Color me cynical but I find it interesting that we haven't heard from the police saying they are investigating credible threats[1]. Could it be the primary reason she's in hiding is to avoid the constant barrage of uncomfortable questions reporters, who would likely be camped out on her doorstep, would ask?

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              Obviously, something happened that traumatised her and she claims it was perpetrated by the man seeking a lifetime appointment to the highest court in the land.
              So traumatized that she never mentioned it to anyone. Can't remember where it happened. Can't remember how she got there or if she went with someone. Can't remember when it happened. Can't remember how many were allegedly involved (was it one, two or four people -- her accounts have varied). Can't remember who was even there. And yet her lawyer says that her recollection is "crystal clear."

1. To be fair it would be strange if, considering the circumstances, there weren't some threats made even if only by obvious cranks.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                He didn't. I'd have thought you at least could unravel the subtle distinction.
                Decided to catch up on your snittery, did ya?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Because she's a rabid pinko commie leftist who never in her wildest imagination thought she would actually have to back up her incredibly vague statements with proof.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• And, there's this from CNN....

(CNN)In a letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee, another former classmate of Brett Kavanaugh's denies attending a party like the one described in the allegation made by Christine Blasey Ford, who has accused the Supreme Court nominee of sexually assaulting her three decades ago when they were teenagers.

Patrick J. Smyth attended Georgetown Prep -- an all-boys school in North Bethesda, Maryland -- alongside Kavanaugh. Both men graduated in 1983. Smyth signed a letter this summer, before the allegations against Kavanaugh were made public, testifying that Kavanaugh "is singularly qualified to be an Associate Justice on the U.S. Supreme Court," along with dozen other of the school's alumni.

Eric Bruce, who is representing Smyth, authored a letter to Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley of Iowa and Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California, the top Democrat on the committee. CNN has obtained a copy of the letter, which includes a quote from Smyth denying seeing any "improper conduct" from Kavanaugh.

"I understand that I have been identified by Dr. Christine Blasey Ford as the person she remembers as 'PJ' who supposedly was present at the party she described in her statements to the Washington Post," Smyth says in his statement to the Senate Judiciary Committee. "I am issuing this statement today to make it clear to all involved that I have no knowledge of the party in question; nor do I have any knowledge of the allegations of improper conduct she has leveled against Brett Kavanaugh."

"Personally speaking, I have known Brett Kavanaugh since high school and I know him to be a person of great integrity, a great friend, and I have never witnessed any improper conduct by Brett Kavanaugh towards women. To safeguard my own privacy and anonymity, I respectfully request that the Committee accept this statement in response to any inquiry the Committee may have."

Comment

• EGGzackly - she got conned into believing that the seriousness of the charge would be enough, and the Republicans would cave. Frankly, I'm not convinced they still won't.

Comment

EGGzackly - she got conned into believing that the seriousness of the charge would be enough, and the Republicans would cave. Frankly, I'm not convinced they still won't.
                        Looking back at the results of how victories for one side or another play out I think if Kavanaugh gets torpedoed based on just what we know now the Republican base will become highly energized and the chance of the Democrats taking control of the House will all but evaporate. OTOH, if Kavanaugh does go to the SCOTUS then the Democrats will be even more energized and will almost certainly take the House with some seats to spare. The real question is how any delay until after the mid terms would play out.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Looking back at the results of how victories for one side or another play out I think if Kavanaugh gets torpedoed based on just what we know now the Republican base will become highly energized and the chance of the Democrats taking control of the House will all but evaporate. OTOH, if Kavanaugh does go to the SCOTUS then the Democrats will be even more energized and will almost certainly take the House with some seats to spare. The real question is how any delay until after the mid terms would play out.
                          I think it would energize BOTH sides, because both sides realize the future of SCOTUS can possibly be decided by the midterms. But, who knows.

Comment

And, there's this from CNN....

(CNN)In a letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee, another former classmate of Brett Kavanaugh's denies attending a party like the one described in the allegation made by Christine Blasey Ford, who has accused the Supreme Court nominee of sexually assaulting her three decades ago when they were teenagers.

Patrick J. Smyth attended Georgetown Prep -- an all-boys school in North Bethesda, Maryland -- alongside Kavanaugh. Both men graduated in 1983. Smyth signed a letter this summer, before the allegations against Kavanaugh were made public, testifying that Kavanaugh "is singularly qualified to be an Associate Justice on the U.S. Supreme Court," along with dozen other of the school's alumni.

Eric Bruce, who is representing Smyth, authored a letter to Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley of Iowa and Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California, the top Democrat on the committee. CNN has obtained a copy of the letter, which includes a quote from Smyth denying seeing any "improper conduct" from Kavanaugh.

"I understand that I have been identified by Dr. Christine Blasey Ford as the person she remembers as 'PJ' who supposedly was present at the party she described in her statements to the Washington Post," Smyth says in his statement to the Senate Judiciary Committee. "I am issuing this statement today to make it clear to all involved that I have no knowledge of the party in question; nor do I have any knowledge of the allegations of improper conduct she has leveled against Brett Kavanaugh."

"Personally speaking, I have known Brett Kavanaugh since high school and I know him to be a person of great integrity, a great friend, and I have never witnessed any improper conduct by Brett Kavanaugh towards women. To safeguard my own privacy and anonymity, I respectfully request that the Committee accept this statement in response to any inquiry the Committee may have."
                            Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            "Something like this" is hardly specific and could well be someone talking about another incident at another time and place involving totally different people.

Meanwhile

Source: Former classmate of Kavanaugh's denies being at party in sexual assault allegation

In a letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee, another former classmate of Brett Kavanaugh's denies attending a party like the one described in the allegation made by Christine Blasey Ford, who has accused the Supreme Court nominee of sexually assaulting her three decades ago when they were teenagers.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

So much for the anonymity part.
                            Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            That's a good question. I have no idea why she is putting so much on the line to lie about Kavanaugh, but by all accounts, that seems to be exactly what she's doing. Don't ask me to explain it.

Also, a third person who was identified by Ford as being at the party has come forward to say that he has no knowledge of any such party. So that's three people who were supposedly there - Kavanaugh, Judge, and now Smyth - all firmly denying it.

https://www.redstate.com/prevaila/20...lt-allegation/

This is in addition to the fact that the story she told her therapist is notably different from the one she's telling today, and that she can't remember key details, namely when it happened, where it happened, how she got there, etc. There are far too many discrepancies and missing details for her accusations to be credible.
                            Third times a charm?

Comment

Frankly, I'm not convinced they still won't.
                              That's my concern as well, that they will consider it more politically expedient to fall for the lie rather than stand for the truth.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                That's my concern as well, that they will consider it more politically expedient to fall for the lie rather than stand for the truth.
                                They have set the stage - if she does not come to testify on Monday (and there were 4 formats offered to her for her "comfort") then they need to proceed with the vote on K. This "but the FBI has to investigate first" is nothing but a stall tactic. I think, as Rogue stated, she never thought it would be contested, and never imagined she'd actually have to back up her claims.

Comment