Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Time To Smear Kavanaugh's Good Name...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I haven't seen it but heard it multiple times on the radio news this morning on the way to work.
    Saw it - you're pretty spot on. There's even been talk that Trump did it that way because he knew the media would play it over and over, and people would finally get to hear what the liberal media is not covering.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      I'd beg t differ. Maxine Waters, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, Sheila Jackson Lee, etc. are far more heinous than Trump.
      And they have been at it longer.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        I hope not. She didn't defame him unless she's lying. And she's only lying if she KNOWS he is not the perpetrator. All indications are she is quite sure he is the one. It could be a defect in her memory, but she's sure he's the one.
        When you make accusation against someone's character that can ruin his life and profession you better be able to back it up in court or you can be sued for defamation.
        Is what you are saying is that she would be assumed to be lying unless she could PROVE she wasn't?
        in cases of defamation, where the evidence doesn't support your claims, you indeed have the burden of proof that what you said was not a malicious lie. Normally the plaintiff will have to prove that he was injured by the claim but certain claims such as claims of criminal activity are considered so heinous that they are automatically considered as having ruined a reputation. look up defamation per se.

Sounds like guilty until proven innocent.
        no. That is what is happening now when Kavanaugh is assumed to be guilty just because she made a claim and he is expected to prove he is innocent. He IS innocent unless she can provide evidence that he is not. And if not, then it is essentially a malicious attack against his reputation which is defamation. Now she could defend herself by claiming that she truly believes what she said, but that is just more assertion.

He also puts himself at risk doing that. All the leads the FBI did not have time to chase down could be pursued. What if he just can't remember himself cause he was just so plastered his memory wasn't working? Someone out there might be able to shed some light on that. There are plenty that would be willing to testify he was plastered a LOT during that time frame.

Jim
        What if's and maybes don't matter. If someone makes an accusation against someone so heinous as to ruin their life, they should have to prove it is true or be subject to being sued for it. Although as I said, he won't do it because it would just make things worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmuddle View Post
          Once again I answered you, and once again you rejected the answer. I would hope my reputation would speak for ne and that my friends would believe me.
          Responding is not the same as answering.

As for Jesus not defending himself during his trial, not answering in that context was a deliberate show of contempt for his accusers, implying that they were beneath him and unworthy of a response.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

As a public figure, according to U.S. law, it is nearly impossible to successfully sue for defamation.
            defamation itself is notoriously hard to prove in any case. but as for the public figure exception, that usually goes for making comments about them in newpaper articles like saying Trump is in league with Russia, or He is a liar, etc. In this instance it is an attack directed at Kavanaugh personally designed to end his career and destroy his life. Still hard to prove, but it would be something that could be sued for.

Comment

Ah - so it's her fault she doesn't remember? Is it her fault THEY don't remember? How many times have you experienced something humiliating or traumatic, and something you believed you could do nothing about, that you just tried to forget?

But that IS that attitude I'm talking about. Why? Why is it so hard to just empathize with her for a few seconds and realize that hey, if she's lying she just made a fool of herself and deserves what has happened, but if not, then hey, she must be absolutely miserable. Shes facing absolute and complete public humiliation over trying to do what was right as she understood it. Why not just back off with the judgment just in case she's telling the truth? That doesn't mean you won't argue for Kavanaugh. It just means you won't be purposefully cruel to her. Is that really all that bad or hard a thing to do?

Jim
              "Just in case she's telling the truth" .... about what? Which version of her ever changing story do you accept as "true"? Frankly, I don't think any of it is true, the party, the assault, the reasons for installing a second door, her curiously selective fear of flying, her little girl's voice during the hearing... as more details surface, I'm increasingly convinced that she and Feinstein orchestrated this charade from the beginning

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Responding is not the same as answering.

As for Jesus not defending himself during his trial, not answering in that context was a deliberate show of contempt for his accusers, implying that they were beneath him and unworthy of a response.
                Actually, I think it was a fulfillment of prophecy - Isaiah 53:7 says, "He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Actually, I think it was a fulfillment of prophecy - Isaiah 53:7 says, "He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth."
                  Yes, but there's still a reason he didn't open his, and his opponents took it like a slap in the face, exactly as intended.

Comment

Ah - so it's her fault she doesn't remember? Is it her fault THEY don't remember? How many times have you experienced something humiliating or traumatic, and something you believed you could do nothing about, that you just tried to forget?

But that IS that attitude I'm talking about. Why? Why is it so hard to just empathize with her for a few seconds and realize that hey, if she's lying she just made a fool of herself and deserves what has happened, but if not, then hey, she must be absolutely miserable. Shes facing absolute and complete public humiliation over trying to do what was right as she understood it. Why not just back off with the judgment just in case she's telling the truth? That doesn't mean you won't argue for Kavanaugh. It just means you won't be purposefully cruel to her. Is that really all that bad or hard a thing to do?

Jim
                    I am giving her the benefit of the doubt. I think something happened to her. I don't think Kavanaugh did it. But someone probably did. She should have said something at the time. Not blaming her for not, but it would have made everything better for her over the next 30 years. I don't know if she actually believes Kavanaugh did it, was convinced falsely to believe Kavanaugh did it, or is actually lying about Kavanaugh doing it, or if Kavanaugh actually did it. BUT as it stands, there is no way to prove Kavanaugh did it, and if he didn't, then she is ruining his life forever over a lie or a mistake.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      defamation itself is notoriously hard to prove in any case. but as for the public figure exception, that usually goes for making comments about them in newpaper articles like saying Trump is in league with Russia, or He is a liar, etc. In this instance it is an attack directed at Kavanaugh personally designed to end his career and destroy his life. Still hard to prove, but it would be something that could be sued for.
                      Hard to prove it's designed to end his career and destroy his life; it's pretty explicitly intended to essentially prevent a promotion.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        Hard to prove it's designed to end his career and destroy his life; it's pretty explicitly intended to essentially prevent a promotion.
                        If it stops him from getting on the Supreme Court what makes you think he would be able to continue as a Federal Judge with that hanging over him? His career would be over. They all know that.

Comment

Saw it - you're pretty spot on. There's even been talk that Trump did it that way because he knew the media would play it over and over, and people would finally get to hear what the liberal media is not covering.
                          Oh, that's kind of obvious. I think several (not all mind you) of those in the G.O.P. who are acting outraged in public are secretly delighted he did it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Oh, that's kind of obvious. I think several (not all mind you) of those in the G.O.P. who are acting outraged in public are secretly delighted he did it.
                            I think it would have been ok to go through the litany without the sneering... um.... mocking of her. Something like....

"THINK about this..... " and then just lay out the contradictions and/or expose the holes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              In many of those cases the intent is trying to impeach Trump which by any measure would be designed to end his job as president.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I think it would have been ok to go through the litany without the sneering... um.... mocking of her. Something like....

"THINK about this..... " and then just lay out the contradictions and/or expose the holes.
                                Unfortunately, that isn't Trump. He's always been a jackass.

And then again maybe he understands that wouldn't have received a fraction of the coverage as it would with Trump being a jerk about it.

Comment