Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Time To Smear Kavanaugh's Good Name...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 43596010_2237369813151897_2586781720602738688_n.jpg
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Why do I need evidence to make such an accusation? Apparently just making an accusation is good enough and my responsibility to make if I believe it right?
      Yup. In the topsy-turvy world the left foisted upon us this past month it is now up to person accused to prove the allegation false.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        Seer - Sorry to chase you down this way, but I cannot PM you because your mailbox is at its limit. I tried to send you this:

Seer, things are a bit in flux on my end. Hurricane Michael is slated to pass right over the top of where I am teaching, which is causing me to move things around a bit. I might be leaving here as early as 11:00 AM, which would put me in your neck of the woods around 8:00 PM on Friday. Also, I just learned that my birthday party apparently starts at 12:00 and it's 4.5 hours from your place to my sister's house, which means I should be on the road by around 7:30 AM. So if we still want to connect, we could either do a late dinner (or just a beer) on Friday, or a very early breakfast (like 6:30?) on Saturday. All of this is still in flux, so I'll keep you posted.

If you'd rather skip and do it another time, I will certainly understand. My lifestyle is highly fluid...
        Either one would be good for me. I'm very liberal with my times... And I cleaned out my mail box, so it should be good...
        Last edited by seer; 10-09-2018, 01:53 PM.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
          Either one would be good for me. I'm very liberal with my times... And I cleaned out my mail box, so it should be good...
          Did you get that fuzzy little spider in the back right corner?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• wait Seer is meeting with the enemy and drinking BEER?

I can't wait to hear about this 35 years from now!

Comment

no. she did not. She had a responsibility to report it to the police when it happened so that others would be protected. Or to the police now so that they could investigate. She had no responsibility to accuse him in public or write a senator about it with no evidence, knowing it could ruin his life and career. Nobody has that "responsibility"
              We will have to agree to disagree. Sexual assault victims are commonly hesitant to come forward, precisely because they will be treated as you are treating Ford. I do not see it as implausible that a victim would "suffer in silence" (or to a narrow set of confidantes) about their attack, until suddenly the attacker is about to rise in prominence to a significant position. It has happened more than once. Since this is at least as plausible as "it didn't happen," and I have no way to give both parties the "benefit of the doubt," I withhold judgment. I don't think she should be derided, and I don't think he should be denied his position on the court. I think we don't know enough to make a call.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Oh please, just look at the newspapers, magazines, TV and social media. She is the liberal's darling. Even all of the liberal senators told her how brave she was and that they believed her. Yes, I can know that.
              I actually agreed that she is the "liberal darling," I said you cannot know she has more supporters than detractors. You have no way to assess those numbers, that I can tell.

You are probably right. If she puts it in a book or movie she would definitely get sued for defamation. Also her book would be about two pages long.
              I have no response to these comments.

and above you said I cannot know that?
              I can know she is the "liberal darling" because most (all?) left leaning news sources, and all left-leaning people I know support her. I have no seen a single negative assessment of her from any left-leaning source. Extrapolating, she is a liberal darling. I cannot know what percentage of the general population supports and does not support her. The right does not. The left does. Moderates could skew either way.

My basis is: that is what I think. Thus the preface "I also think"

That's not a "basis," Sparko, which I think you know. Sometimes "what I think" is grounded in facts and evidence - and sometimes it's merely baseless and grounded in our biases and preconceptions. From my perspective, this position of yours is grounded in what appears to be a significant hatred for anyone or anything that is "liberal" or "democrat" or "left."
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                I'll keep you posted. If I get out of here earlier enough, Friday night might be better for me.
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

That's not a "basis," Sparko, which I think you know. Sometimes "what I think" is grounded in facts and evidence - and sometimes it's merely baseless and grounded in our biases and preconceptions. From my perspective, this position of yours is grounded in what appears to be a significant hatred for anyone or anything that is "liberal" or "democrat" or "left."
                  Well since I believe it I had a responsibility to put it out there. And it is true unless she can prove it is otherwise, right?

...I also have 3 witnesses that will not confirm what I said so that cinches it.

Comment

She had some proof! There were other people at the party! She could have told them what happened. She could have reported it to the police and they could have questioned the others, confirmed the circumstances. If it was not important enough to bring forth to the authorities then or now, then it sure wasn't important enough to risk a man's entire life and career over now.
                    Horse hockey. This rage is riddled with simply unsubstantiated assumptions. You simply betray, over and over, that you have no idea what the victim of a sexual assault goes through - what they have to deal with - and how that impacts their behavior. IMO, your responses are not only unchristian, they are borderline inhumane. You have chosen a side (Kavanaugh's) for whatever reasons, blind to the fact that you are part of the problem if this woman was indeed assaulted - and without any way of proving she wasn't.

Sexual assault is most commonly a he-said/she-said situation. If you are a teenage girl - the probability of immediately racing to your friends, parents, or authorities is minimal. The chance that she would have received the exact same treatment she is getting at your hands (without knowing it) at the hands of a popular school jock is pretty high. We see it over and over and over again.

The fact is, we don't know what happened. The default position, IMO, is compassion for both - until we have evidence enough to know "what happened" beyond a reasonable doubt. I have not seen such a volume of evidence in this case - so I will not call Kavanaugh a liar - and I will not call Ford a liar. The situation is tragic - for all involved. That you cannot see it, frankly, says a great deal about you.

Comment

Well since I believe it I had a responsibility to put it out there. And it is true unless she can prove it is otherwise, right?
                      No - I have never said or implied anything close to this.

...I also have 3 witnesses that will not confirm what I said so that cinches it.
                      At this point, your responses have become irrational and pointless. I'll leave the last word to you.

Comment

Horse hockey. This rage is riddled with simply unsubstantiated assumptions. You simply betray, over and over, that you have no idea what the victim of a sexual assault goes through - what they have to deal with - and how that impacts their behavior. IMO, your responses are not only unchristian, they are borderline inhumane.
                        wow. That is truly a drama queen response. I am inhumane for saying she should have reported this when it happened to at least her friends if not the police? Doesn't she have a responsibility here to protect other women from such abuse? We are not talking full on rape here either, but supposedly a drunken teen grabbing at her. And this traumatized her so badly she couldn't speak of it for 35 years? give me a break, carp.

I don't know if something happened to her or not, but if it did, her responsibility was to say something then, to someone in authority. Not live with it for 35 years then toss it out into the public arena with no proof whatsoever or any care about consequences of her actions.

You have chosen a side (Kavanaugh's) for whatever reasons, blind to the fact that you are part of the problem if this woman was indeed assaulted - and without any way of proving she wasn't.
                        I don't have to prove she wasn't. I don't know if she was or not. I don't know if Kavanaugh did it or not. That is why she should have said something back when it happened. You liberals act like women never lie. All you have to do is watch an hour of cops or livePD to see plenty of them lying to the cops about everything from assault to drugs. Last week a woman attacked a man with a knife because he cut in front of her at the gas pump. He punched her to get her away, then when the cops showed up, she accused him of punching her and never mentioned the knife. Another witness came forward and told what happened and they arrested the woman. Women lie. about everything. Just like men. They are not special angels. So without EVIDENCE we can't assume she is the one telling the truth and ruin a mans life. That is why it is important to get the story out when it happens, not 35 years later and not to the media who distort everything.

Comment

Horse hockey. This rage is riddled with simply unsubstantiated assumptions.
                          Kind of ironic considering the entire case against Kavanaugh was based on unsubstantiated accusations.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

wait Seer is meeting with the enemy and drinking BEER?

I can't wait to hear about this 35 years from now!

I heard that one of them will throw a half melted ice cube at someone

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Kind of ironic considering the entire case against Kavanaugh was based on unsubstantiated accusations.
                              It's not ironic, Rogue - it's sad. Sexual assault degrades all of us. The victim (when it is real) usually gets no justice. The accused (when it is not real) usually gets no justice. That people are so incredibly ready to jump on a "side" because it aligns with their politics adds to the tragedy. That people cannot see beyond their politics and biases to see this very real situation is...well...tragic.

If that makes me a "drama queen," so be it. Id' rather be a compassionate drama queen then an insensitive/unfeeling oaf ready to "take a side" for the team.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                I am an old white guy, so there's that.

Comment