Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Time To Smear Kavanaugh's Good Name...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    MRDA?
    Men's Roller Derby Association.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Men's Roller Derby Association.
      Interesting -- found this....

MRDA, an abbreviation for Mandy Rice-Davies Applies, is Internet slang meaning "well he would say that, wouldn't he?" It is used to indicate scepticism of a claim due to the obvious bias of the person making the claim.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
        So lets get this straight, all you conservative Kavanaugh backers actually believe that this woman is making up this entire story and putting herself and her family through this misery for personal political reasons?

The fact that in both cases, everybody who was named as a witness has emphatically denied the claims is pretty strong evidence against the claims being true.

Now you might say, "But why? Why would they lie about this considering the negative affect it has had on their lives?" and the only answer anyone can give is, "I don't know why, but it certainly appears that they are lying." At the very least you would think the fact that everybody named as a witness has denied the events ever took place would make a rational person second guess their own recall.
        Last edited by Mountain Man; 09-24-2018, 08:36 AM.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
          MRDA x
          One of those four include a long time friend of Ford's. So, no.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            Odds of around 2/3 for Kavanaugh having done it, is not something I'd hang a man up on. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

In order to give someone the benefit of the doubt its not required that the chance of them being guilty is less than 50%.
            Again, justice is not determined by raw mathematical probability. Rather, it's based on the evidence, and the fact that every named witness in both cases has emphatically denied the accusations suggests that Kavanaugh is almost certainly innocent.

Comment

Interesting -- found this....

MRDA, an abbreviation for Mandy Rice-Davies Applies, is Internet slang meaning "well he would say that, wouldn't he?" It is used to indicate scepticism of a claim due to the obvious bias of the person making the claim.
              Apparently my internet slang needs work....
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                Apparently my internet slang needs work....
                Yeah, me too.

Comment

And I agree that it's entirely possible that K was a "wild child" in high school...
                  It's also possible that he was a serial murderer, or that he hired prostitutes out of his dorm room, or that he was the ring leader of a gang of car thieves. So what? The question is not what is possible but what is probable, and considering that dozens of character witnesses have all said that the behavior described is completely out of character for the straight-laced Kavanaugh, and that named witnesses to the alleged assaults as well as others "in the know" all emphatically deny that that the incidents ever happened, the probability that Kavanaugh is guilty is near 0.
                  Last edited by Mountain Man; 09-24-2018, 09:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    You mean like how Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.) mockingly sneered at Senator Susan Collins ("Boo hoo hoo") when she has recounted the numerous death threats she has received since Kavanaugh was nominated trying to intimidate her into voting to oppose him?

Compare that behavior from a prominent politician to what some anonymous poster on a small website said.
                    Again, for the the hundredth time, why does person X doing something wrong make it ok for person Y to do something wrong? This sort of 'comeback' is simply idiotic. My statements on this issue have NOTHING to do with politics. And further, in the case you bring up, Collins is NOT a woman that is being mocked for not coming forward soon enough! So I'm not even sure why you bring it up in response to the statement you quote!

I am making a general statement about why it is credible for a woman that is sexually assaulted and doesn't have iron-clad proof NOT to talk about it. THIS is why. And it doesn't matter if it was done by a democrat or a republican or a black man or a white man. Or who the women is or what her race or politics is. The kind hostile, sneering, belittling remarks being made here on these pages are exactly why many women that are victims of assault keep it to themselves. So to sneer at that fact is to be both ignorant and cruel.

Jim
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Personally, I don't think it's necessary to smear Ford to protect K. But, neither do I think it's prudent to just accept what she says without question. I think that she believes something happened, but so many details are missing, and that's problematic. It's also a bit puzzling that the other 4 parties who were supposedly present all deny anything happened.
                      We absolutely agree here CP. My point is very focused. It is at those deriding her over the fact she kept the information to herself till now, as if that in and of itself is suspicious. It is not. Especially given we have clear evidence it was causing her trouble long before now, and she sought help for it.

The denials - in my mind - fold into credibility in a positive way in terms of whether she believes this happened and Kavanaugh was the perpetrator. I find it very hard to believe anyone in their right mind is going to come forward with something like this and name names that can be asked and queried over the issue if they don't believe it was a real event. And if she believes it was a real event and all the people she expected to be able to help confirm her story are denying it, then coupled with the death threats and other hostilities, she's in a very difficult place right now - regardless of what the truth is.

Jim
                      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 09-24-2018, 08:53 AM.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                        Again, for the the hundredth time, why does person X doing something wrong make it ok for person Y to do something wrong? This sort of 'comeback' is simply idiotic. My statements on this issue have NOTHING to do with politics. And further, in the case you bring up, Collins is NOT a woman that is being mocked for not coming forward soon enough! So I'm not even sure why you bring it up in response to the statement you quote!

I am making a general statement about why it is credible for a woman that is sexually assaulted and doesn't have iron-clad proof NOT to talk about it. THIS is why. And it doesn't matter if it was done by a democrat or a republican or a black man or a white man. Or who the women is or what her race or politics is. The kind hostile, sneering, belittling remarks being made here on these pages are exactly why many women that are victims of assault keep it to themselves. So to sneer at that fact is to be both ignorant and cruel.

Jim
                        Again for the hundredth time, when you ignore far worse conduct from your side while bemoaning something you end up in danger of coming across as an insincere hypocritical opportunist more interested in exploiting the situation than being generally concerned about it. The MSM continues to talk about how Ford has received threats yet all but ignores or at best underplaying and/or brushing aside that so has Kavanaugh and Collins. This comes across as agenda driven reporting.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

We absolutely agree here CP. My point is very focused. It is at those deriding her over the fact she kept the information to herself till now, as if that in and of itself is suspicious. It is not. Especially given we have clear evidence it was causing her trouble long before now, and she sought help for it.

The denials - in my mind - fold into credibility in a positive way in terms of whether she believes this happened and Kavanaugh was the perpetrator. I find it very hard to believe anyone in their right mind is going to come forward with something like this and name names that can be asked and queried over the issue if they don't believe it was a real event. And if she believes it was a real event and all the people she expected to be able to help confirm her story are denying it, then coupled with the death threats and other hostilities, she's in a very difficult place right now - regardless of what the truth is.

Jim
                          Courts work on innocent till proven guilty for a reason.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Again for the hundredth time, when you ignore far worse conduct from your side while bemoaning something you end up in danger of coming across as an insincere hypocritical opportunist more interested in exploiting the situation than being generally concerned about it. The MSM continues to talk about how Ford has received threats yet all but ignores or at best underplaying and/or brushing aside that so has Kavanaugh and Collins. This comes across as agenda driven reporting.
                            Rogue - get a grip. Wrong behavior is wrong behavior. I don't have to name every person on every square foot on the face of the earth that has done something similar or worse to be justified in calling out th problem. We are not talking about Collins. We are talking about Ford and Kavanaugh. And I'm not even defending Ford per se. Nor am I a Democrat. Many of the Democratic policies are a bridge too far for me. I'm saying that the mockery around the credibility of her waiting to bring forward this alleged assault is prima facia evidence of WHY her delay is credible. That sort of thing CAUSES women that have experienced such an assault to be afraid to say anything about it. They know that the friends and supporters of the perpetrator will eat her alive to protect him and that without overwhelming evidence she will not be believed.

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                              Courts work on innocent till proven guilty for a reason.
                              Yes they do. Very good reasons in fact. And those reasons have NOTHING to do with my point. In fact, you and Rogues responses are ALSO prima facia evidence of why her delay is credible. Here you are doing everything you can to push back against even acknowledging the delay is credible. We aren't even talking about the truth or falsity of the event, or the problems with those that deny her claims, we are talking about one very small part of the equation - the credibility of the delay - and you people are attacking my comments like an animal protecting its territory.

Pix - why don't you try empathy for just one time? What would you do if someone pushed themselves on you and you knew that person was powerful, well liked, had an impeccable reputation, and you did not have one shred of evidence it actually happened? Are you going to face most people doubting you, wondering why you would lie like that about such a good person? And for what? You can't prove ANYTHING about it. And the few people you thought could at least confirm the two of you were in the same place at the same time are saying they don't recall anything about it.

Jim

Comment

Yes they do. Very good reasons in fact. And those reasons have NOTHING to do with my point. In fact, you and Rogues responses are ALSO prima facia evidence of why her delay is credible.
                                Jim, I'm not as concerned about HER delay as I am in the Democrats bringing this to the fore AFTER the legitimate hearings had already happened, and it looked like he was on the road to confirmation.

Comment