Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Party Vowing to Curb Immigration Favored to Win Quebec Election, Eh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Party Vowing to Curb Immigration Favored to Win Quebec Election, Eh?

Party Vowing to Curb Immigration Favored to Win Quebec Election

(Bloomberg) -- A changing of the guard appears to be on the horizon in Quebec.

With less than three weeks to go before the Oct. 1 election, an upstart alliance that’s pledging to reduce immigration is favored to oust the Liberal Party that’s governed the French-speaking Canadian province for all but two of the past 15 years.

and...

Immigration Policy

With Quebec facing labor shortages in several regions and immigration now capped at about 50,000 people a year, the CAQ wants to cut the limit to 40,000 to better integrate newcomers. It’s also vowing to give immigrants three years to learn French or face the risk of being expelled from the province -- a pledge criticized by Couillard, who says immigration will be the true “ballot box question” on Oct. 1.

The Parti Quebecois, meanwhile, insists immigrants must be better integrated and wants to make knowledge of French a condition for settling in the province.

Learn French?!?!?! Blue Socks!!!! (or is it Blurry Socks - sacre bleu?)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

The Quebecois are very serious about their French, which is hilarious considering they speak it through their nose.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
      The Quebecois are very serious about their French, which is hilarious considering they speak it through their nose.
      My wife and I took a tour of Quebec on one of those fancy buses, and the driver did his 'announcing' in both French and English. We thought it was hilarious that his English would be "over to your right, you see the birthplace of [whoever]" then he would speak in french on and on and on..... Then another short description in English...
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        My wife and I took a tour of Quebec on one of those fancy buses, and the driver did his 'announcing' in both French and English. We thought it was hilarious that his English would be "over to your right, you see the birthplace of [whoever]" then he would speak in french on and on and on..... Then another short description in English...
        It really adds up when you gotta add n'est pas, ouais? to everything.

"I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
        Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

I really liked our bus driver, though.... he used the format....

"This house was once occupied by [whoever]... do you know WHY it was abandoned?... It was abandoned because...."

Always the statement/question/answer approach.

Comment

Is that the equivalent of "eh?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Is that the equivalent of "eh?"
              Pretty much. The semi-literal translation is "is it not, yeah?" in the same way someone might say, "looks pretty good, yeah?" or "looks pretty good, eh?" or something.

Katniss Everdeen

Comment